Auto Shipping Experience - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Auto Shipping Experience

Just bought a New car on ebay. Anyone have any experience with shipping companies. Ebay references: DAS, United Road, and Express Auto Transport.

If it wasn't winter I would just fly up and drive it back. Not worried about the snow, more the salt and gravel crap they put on the roads in the winter. Shipping it from Boston to St Pete Florida. Rates are $780-$850.

Looking for information on timelyness, care, pickup and drop off problems.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Gary hello from Alabama and welcome to I dont have any expirence with car shipping but one of our sponsored dealers here will be able to help you out.

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

I use a bunch of different guys over the years. Just make sure it is a covered trailer. Its worth the extra money and when it gets there. Look over the whole car and check the mileage and paper work well. Then enjoy..
Oh BTW.. Welcome to

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!

post #4 of 13 Old 01-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

I've had two cars shipped, and I went the cheaper open car hauler route. I will NOT do that again. Spend the extra couple hundred and get the enclosed carrier like Exotic Car Transport or the like.

You'll find that those companies you have listed simply work out of an office and use leased owner-operators. This means that the driver delivering your car is an independent contractor and that he does not work for the company you are purchasing the service from.

This is quite obvious by the amount that say DAS charges you initially. They'll then tell you that you'll pay the driver in cash when he delivers the car. That means you paid DAS their fee and then the driver gets his cut as the contractor upon delivery.

What am I getting at? The drivers have no vested interest in customer service or anything like that simply because they work for themselves. If DAS says they won't use them anymore, there are PLENTY of other companies that will. More than likely, each car on that drivers trailer is from a different shipping source.

So why won't I go that route again? Because the care of both cars I purchased was less than desirable. I still remember when my 91 was delivered and the guy almost scraped the front ground effects off.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #5 of 13 Old 01-30-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately it is $500 more and at $1350 I will have eaten up any benefit from buying on the internet.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Pluses and minuses to everything. To me, especially for a new car, I wouldn't want to risk it.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #7 of 13 Old 01-30-2010, 04:18 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Try http://www.advancedautoship.com/

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #8 of 13 Old 02-12-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Ended up using GT Auto Transport. Had an A- rating on BBB and of the reviews I read the only gripe was inconvienient dropoff and pickup coordination.

My car went on a 7 or 9 car carrier. My only request was on this type of carrier, they put me on the top deck. Which they did.

Pickup was Monday this week in Boston and Drop-off was 4pm on Thursday despite the weather.

Highly recommend. Delivered safe and sound with 33 miles on the ODO.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Supporter of common sense

Ive shipped a few cars recently, we use RoadRunner for domestic destinations

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #10 of 13 Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 PM

We sold a 1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Convertible last year on E-bay, it was a one owner car with 85,000 original miles on it bought brand new in our home town, we are in PA, car was going to LA........the guy sent and open trailer to pick it up....I almost sh*t when it arrived. So I go and call the guy Jaime Gonzales was his name..yes real name..and his wife answers the phone, I say yeah I'm calling for Jaime...oh hes at work...I say ok, she says whos calling, I say Rodney,your husband just bought my 48 Chevy.........She says WHAT 48 Chevy???......then... I'll call you back in a minute, she calls back and says Ship it, I really dont care....so off it went, never heard a word, is Jaime dead, or missing a certain body part...no idea????

Rodney Updegrave
2011 Chrysler 300C, 1954 Cadillac Coupe De Ville,1949 Pontiac Woodie Wagon,1972 VW Beetle Roadster, 2004 Baja 25 Outlaw
www.fquick.com/rodster56

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page