Just-Auto: GM Canada to build Camaro - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-13-2006, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Just-Auto: GM Canada to build Camaro

http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=51197

CANADA: GM Canada to build new Chevrolet Camaro

13 Mar 2006 Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Workers at GM?s Oshawa plant have voted in favour of job cuts as a means of securing new investment in the facility, including a contract to build the new Chevrolet Camaro, according to Reuters.
GM?s three Canadian assembly plants will accept up to 2,500 job losses in return for GM not shutting down two of the plants. Instead they will be given the chance to win new contracts and investment.
Unions hope that the two car assembly plants can be turned into one flexible plant. No. 2 plant was due to close in 2008 when Buick LaCrosse and Pontiac Grand Prix assembly ends. No. 1 plant is due to lose the Chevrolet Monte Carlo and Impala models in 2009.
There is also a separate truck plant in Oshawa that produces the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-13-2006, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

And this from The Car Connection:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&article=10137

Members of Canadian Auto Workers Local 222 in Oshawa, Ont., have approved a series of work rule changes that could lead to General Motors announcing soon that it plans to move ahead with plans to build a new Chevrolet Camaro.

The Camaro was one of the big favorites of journalists and car buffs at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January. GM's executives have promised they will decide quickly if they will turn the concept Camaro into a production car before end of the decade.

With the feasibility study still in the works, GM negotiators recently settled in for eleven days of intense negotiations with CAW representatives from the Oshawa assembly complex where GM now has three assembly plants. CAW officials have said that the negotiations are a prelude to a decision on actually building the Camaro.

Late last week, the workers at Oshawa voted in favor of what CAW officials described as a cost-saving agreement demanded by GM. The production members of CAW Local 222 voted 74 percent to support the proposal, while skilled trades voted 70 percent. With the union's acceptance of GM's demands, GM Canada management should now be in a position to make its pitch for future product allocation from Detroit, said Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222.

"Some very difficult decisions have been made, not only by the union leadership, but by our members as well. Without a doubt, this has been a very emotional event."

The changes will not affect the wages, benefits, pensions, or time off the job for CAW members. However, union officials said that the agreement does make room for as many as 2500 CAW members, nearing retirement age, to leave the GM payroll early.

The changes in the agreement are designed to make the Oshawa facility more competitive in the global market. The complex currently has about 11,000 employees who staff three different assembly plants and other units.

GM said last November that one of the assembly plants in Oshawa will close in 2008 as part of cost-cutting initiatives. Targeted for shutdown is the Oshawa No. 2 plant, which currently builds the Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick LaCrosse/Allure. The No. 1 plant is set to lose assembly of its Chevrolet Monte Carlo and Impala models in 2009 and would pick up the rear-wheel-drive Camaro along with other models under the proposal approved by the CAW. The Monte Carlo and Impala would likely become all-wheel drive.

The CAW says turning Oshawa's two car factories into one flexible assembly plant that can produce different vehicles would better position GM Canada to secure as much as $701 million in new investment from General Motors.

"We were fortunate in Oshawa to have had the opportunity to work on securing our futures," Buckley said. "There are a number of GM facilities in North America which will not, and will unfortunately close, putting thousands of working people on the unemployment line. Our members in the vehicle assembly plants and in the parts suppliers deserve a secure future. CAW members at GM have done their part; it's now time for General Motors to step up to the plate," said Buckley, who said the Oshawa complex now had a good shot a winning the Camaro work.

In the complicated internal politics of GM product allocation decisions, the CAW maintains it has first claim on the Camaro because the last Camaro had been built at an old GM assembly plant in Ste. Therese, Quebec, that had been staffed by CAW members.

Despite the likelihood of a smaller work force at Oshawa, the union said it did not want to flirt with the chance of GM opting to close both car plants and losing about 5600 jobs. There is also a truck assembly plant at Oshawa.

"Nobody wants to be having this vote, so in that regard there is not a lot of good feeling," said CAW spokesman Peter Kennedy.

Other potential changes that were rejected by the union during contract negotiations last September include outsourcing janitorial staff and getting rid of an in-house construction crew, opening the door for outside contractors to come into the complex, the CAW said.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-13-2006, 12:24 PM

Wasn't the fact that the 4th gen was built in Canada a large reason that GM ended up getting into such a pickle with the F body in the first place..?

post #4 of 10 Old 03-13-2006, 12:29 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Wow, well I suppose that's good news, Oshawa's quality record is awesome, so I'd be happy if Camaro was built there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee
Wasn't the fact that the 4th gen was built in Canada a large reason that GM ended up getting into such a pickle with the F body in the first place..?
I think it had more to do with the UAW Local union labor contracts related to Ste Therese Assembly. Could've happened anywhere really. That aside, I think GM knows not to make a deal like that again anyhow.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I'm a bit disappointed a US plant isn't getting the job, but it will still be a North American car, which is good.

The stars are lining up and I expect we're not far away from an official announcement now.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-14-2006, 09:37 AM

I dunno - no offense to any Canadians here, but I still think this car needs to be made in the U.S. Let the Canadians build the Saturns or the Buicks - leave the Camaro to US. :gr_patriot:
post #7 of 10 Old 03-14-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee
I dunno - no offense to any Canadians here, but I still think this car needs to be made in the U.S. Let the Canadians build the Saturns or the Buicks - leave the Camaro to US. :gr_patriot:
i agree. but remember. how many saturns are GM selling each year.. compared to a camaro? its better to keep the big sellers in america because well they are makin more money off of them and need to keep the patriotic people buyin them for that reason.

build the camaro where ever. just as long as the money comes back to the US who gives a shiznit.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-14-2006, 12:14 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Don't read too far into this though, this deal IS NOT set in stone.

Oshawa just WANTS to build it, it's still not certain where it'll be built.

(or if it'll be built at all for that matter)

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #9 of 10 Old 03-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Mid
Super Moderator

I just want it to be built the most efficiently, and the cost of the new camaro to stay down.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-14-2006, 08:10 PM

the st. terese plant was outdated and inefficient, and due to a GM/Canada contract, the f-body had to be produced there. i think its great if teh plant is quality and efficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page