Next-Gen Alpha-Based Camaro To Be Sold In Europe, Help Chevrolet Attain Sales Goals - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Next-Gen Alpha-Based Camaro To Be Sold In Europe, Help Chevrolet Attain Sales Goals

From GMAuthority.com:

Last week we reported that the next-generation Chevy Camaro will utilize the Alpha (global A) platform, a move that’s widely expected to decrease the bow-tie pony car’s heft. We’ve received information that sheds light on why GM chose to do this.

It’s no secret that Chevy is looking to increase its European sales to one million units per year as early as 2015. To put these numbers in perspective, that’s roughly a 100 percent increase in volume in under five years. Chevrolet is planning to attain this goal by completely revamping its European lineup, a move that calls for bringing global vehicles such as the Aveo, Cruze, Malibu, Orlando, and Equinox. Currently, most of the European Chevy line is made up of (lackluster) Daewoo and Suzuki rebadges.

From discussions with our sources, we’ve understood that the next-generation Camaro will play a significant role in achieving this one million sales goal and will join the rest of the global Chevy line-up overseas. That’s right – GM is seriously looking to bring the next-gen Camaro to Europe! Simply put, the current Camaro is just too big and heavy to appeal to European tastes. By utilizing the global A architecture, GM will be able to realize significant reductions in weight and cut a few inches in the Camaro’s length.

Seeing how the current Camaro is unnecessarily huge and heavy, this makes sense. In fact, for a (two door – rather than a four-door) coupe, it’s down right fat. It’s heavier than the 2010 Mustang by almost 400 pounds – and that’s not taking into account the weight savings the 2011 ‘Stang’s new 3.7L V6 will bring. Compared to Korean competitors (Hyuindai Genesis Coupe with the 3.8L V6), the Camaro is a full eight inches longer and over 400 pounds heavier. So there’s no debating that the present-day Camaro is on the heavy side of the pony car continuum. This extra poundage and length won’t help in Europe or with the impending CAFE laws.

Moreover, our sources indicate that GM is also looking at the next-gen Camaro as an image-building vehicle in Europe. I will take the liberty of saying that this will go a long way towards changing perceptions of the bow-tie brand and its currently anemic European line-up. Chevy will also use the Corvette to accomplish its European image goals, a vehicle that’s soon to make a comeback across the pond.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.....it's an experience!"

Need to contact me? layssenATaol.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

I really disliked the changes between the 3rd gen & 4th gen, this sounds like a repeat of that. I support GM in it's endevors to stay viable as a company and increase thier market shares over seas, and I know making two versions of a car makes no fiscal sense, but I must be a typical american, I like my big car. I figure if it's too heavy put more power to it and compensate with better suspension. I will be very curious to see the concept and production versions of the 6th gen and cross my fingers that they don't try to cut too much off this great car, I never bought a 4th gen.

Go to http://www.cheers*****.com/Camaro.html to view picictures of my Camaro!
post #3 of 41 Old 02-09-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

They are kind of stuck between a rock and a hardplace moving forward. They have all these crazy CAFE standards coming in the next few years that will limit cubic inches and/or fuel economy.

So how do you get around those challenges? It means smaller car and highly efficient 4 and 6 bangers. I fully expect that twin turbo V6 (Leno car) at the SEMA show to find it's way into the camaro as the big motor in the Alpha platform.

post #4 of 41 Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

I can understand the need to conform & compete, but it is sacrifices like removing the V8 entirely that turn me off, they currently have 5 models, at least keep 1 (Z28?) model with an 8 cyl.

Go to http://www.cheers*****.com/Camaro.html to view picictures of my Camaro!
post #5 of 41 Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigam21 View Post
I can understand the need to conform & compete, but it is sacrifices like removing the V8 entirely that turn me off, they currently have 5 models, at least keep 1 (Z28?) model with an 8 cyl.
That's still a possibility under the new CAFE rules provided that it will be limited sales.

post #6 of 41 Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
They are kind of stuck between a rock and a hardplace moving forward. They have all these crazy CAFE standards coming in the next few years that will limit cubic inches and/or fuel economy.

So how do you get around those challenges? It means smaller car and highly efficient 4 and 6 bangers. I fully expect that twin turbo V6 (Leno car) at the SEMA show to find it's way into the camaro as the big motor in the Alpha platform.

I agree
post #7 of 41 Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Euro versions are all 6 and 4 cylinders. But I doubt GM is that stupid to not offer a V8 to the American market. If a vette can get 30 mpg on the highway with 6.2 liters, then a lighter Camaro with less displacement and DI should be able to do that same. Just look at the 5th gen, LS3 6.2L and 3800lbs can do 25 mpgs. Cut the weight to 3500 and displacement to 5.5L and mpg will go way up. I think this is a great step forward not only for GM but also the Camaro brand. I would love to see it become a world wide icon, not just and American icon. It's too good for GM to screw it up by not offering some kind of V8 option. Just like with the 5th gen, I say "keep the faith".

post #8 of 41 Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark SS View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Euro versions are all 6 and 4 cylinders. But I doubt GM is that stupid to not offer a V8 to the American market. If a vette can get 30 mpg on the highway with 6.2 liters, then a lighter Camaro with less displacement and DI should be able to do that same. Just look at the 5th gen, LS3 6.2L and 3800lbs can do 25 mpgs. Cut the weight to 3500 and displacement to 5.5L and mpg will go way up. I think this is a great step forward not only for GM but also the Camaro brand. I would love to see it become a world wide icon, not just and American icon. It's too good for GM to screw it up by not offering some kind of V8 option. Just like with the 5th gen, I say "keep the faith".
I can turn your argument around and say "if an Alpha based 6 cylinder camaro can outperform the current 8 cylinder camaro and get better gas mileage, why not?".

The problem is that GM must get an average fuel economy of 32 MPG. What are we getting now with our SS camaros - 25 MPG?

post #9 of 41 Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 PM

I would argue that 30,000 30mpg DI V8 Camaro's be easily offset but 70,000 40mpg V6 Camaro's. I know it's cliché but you just can't replace the sound and feel of a good old American V8. You might as well just give me a soy dog and sugar free apple crisp while you're at it.

post #10 of 41 Old 02-09-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark SS View Post
I would argue that 30,000 30mpg DI V8 Camaro's be easily offset but 70,000 40mpg V6 Camaro's. I know it's cliché but you just can't replace the sound and feel of a good old American V8. You might as well just give me a soy dog and sugar free apple crisp while you're at it.
As the owner of many camaros, you'll get no argument from me. I just think we are going to lose this battle and you can thank CAFE.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page