Export Version or not? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Export Version or not?

Last week i talked to the us-import-dealer. i gave him all the details like color, rs-package and so on. he asked me if i would like the us version or the export version and than i was totally confused as i never heared of an export version. the difference is a 6cd-changer, parking-sensors, 300 km/h speedo, boardcomputer in german and no shark fin on the roof. ha also told me the this cars are produced in mexico.

have you guys ever heard of that version? do you have any pics? wich version would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Camaro View Post
Last week i talked to the us-import-dealer. i gave him all the details like color, rs-package and so on. he asked me if i would like the us version or the export version and than i was totally confused as i never heared of an export version. the difference is a 6cd-changer, parking-sensors, 300 km/h speedo, boardcomputer in german and no shark fin on the roof. ha also told me the this cars are produced in mexico.

have you guys ever heard of that version? do you have any pics? wich version would you recommend?
I'm not surprised they would make an export version, but that's the first I've heard of any camaro's being built in MEXICO. I'm not sure that's accurate. If it is, I would say get the US version...built at Oshawa.

The CD-changer and no shark fin are definitely different options (besides the obvious speedo and german).

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Produced in Mexico? Dude is on crack.
Also, most camaros (I don't think LS does) have rear parking-sensors now.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #4 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

There won't be any made in Mexico.

Oshawa is where they're built.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #5 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
Produced in Mexico? Dude is on crack.
Also, most camaros (I don't think LS does) have rear parking-sensors now.
Agreed.

There is no 'export only' version of the car. The only changes probably made would be taking a Canadian spec car, adding emissions equipment to meet EU standards, removing OnStar equipment, and that's about it. There's also an RHD version in the works for the Isles and Australia but that's about the extent of what export mods will probably be done to the current car.

As for rear parking sensors, the up trim (2) LT and SS cars do. AFAIK the 1SS, 1LT, and LS still lack them.

Though I think they may now be added as part of the RS package.. which for an appearance package is totally stupid when you're putting a line of zits on the ass of that car..

So to sum it up:

You're being conned. The "Eurospec" version is simply a hacked up version done by the agent to prey on uninformed buyers. It's a good thing you're doing your homework. Also check the fees they're asking on top of import taxes..

But back on topic: Are you looking for Economy, or raw rip your face off Americana?

Economy: 2LT/RS with manual gearbox. 304 horses US rated EPA 29mpg highway. Leather interior, iPod/mp3 interface, Pirelli Z rated tires and 20 inch rims. Turbocharging it has shown that the 29mpg rating will still hold under mods, which is nice if you're paying out the rear for fuel.

Raw rip your face off: 2SS/RS with a manual gearbox. 426 horses while still making 24mpg. RS package gives you the 20 inch Midnight silver finish on the rims, Pirelli Zs are stock. Granted you'll need 93 octane or equivalent to get the full range of power but it'll cost you with the EU/Swiss Taxes on fuel.

It just depends on what you're willing to spend.

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph

Last edited by Zabo; 02-17-2010 at 07:15 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Personally I wouldn't mind rear parking sensors..considering how small the camaro's rear window is.
Heck..I would love them on my G5, .

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Camaro View Post

WHAT?!

I want that option
post #8 of 14 Old 02-18-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

thank you guys for your help.

my only doubt was that production plant in mexico... but as i now know that it is built in oshawa i will go for it. i don't care for the the cd-changer and german language stuff but i like the sensors and the removed shark fin.

of course i will order the ss/rs just because of the v8 power but i think i'll go with the automatic. i know, most of you think the a sport car requires an manual and normally i think the same way, but i don't want to go to race tracks or drag strips (we don't have drag strips at all). i want her to cruise over the alps or through the black forrest and, and, and... i just want to get in this awesome car and enjoy the ride

that thing with the fuel would be my next question. our normal gas has 95 octane and the premium 98. i read that it makes no sense to take more octane than the engine is programed to but somehow i tend to take the premium. somehow i think it is better for the engine and maybe there is a little more power? is this true or am i completely wrong?
post #9 of 14 Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

The higher octane will not increase performance. Lower octane (than what is required) will, however, decrease the performance. If your octane ratings are the same as the ones we have here in the US, then you'll be fine running your "lower" rating.

And some of us are jealous that you can remove the fin.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #10 of 14 Old 02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
The higher octane will not increase performance. Lower octane (than what is required) will, however, decrease the performance. If your octane ratings are the same as the ones we have here in the US, then you'll be fine running your "lower" rating.

And some of us are jealous that you can remove the fin.
European octane ratings are different than US ratings.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page