SS AS A DAILY DRIVER - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

SS AS A DAILY DRIVER

Hey everyone I am thinking about getting an SS as a daily driver. I live near Dallas, Texas and we dont get many days of snow, or ice, or salt on the roads. I was wondering are there any of you SS owners, who live in the southern states, use your cars as daily drivers? Any issues? I tried to search on this subject and couldnt find anything.

You look like a wee little Mustang.......
GET IN MY BELLY!!!!
YOUR LOWER ON THE FOOD CHAIN
GET IN MY BELLY!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 02-22-2010, 02:04 AM

There is no reason you can't have this vehicle as a DD. If you keep your foot out of it, which for me is impossible, you can even get pretty decent gas mileage opposed to say a full size truck. Being that you live near Dallas I would assume you might have to decide between manual or auto. The traffic isn't too terrible where I live so the manual isn't a pain, but for heavy traffic you might consider the auto. Its just too much fun with a manual IMO. With those Pirellis and this car I have never felt more secure on the road in heavy rain. It sticks like glue. Go for it.
post #3 of 62 Old 02-22-2010, 03:57 AM

I personnally am not using my SS as a daily driver but it could be with no problem. My daily driver is a pickup and gets gas mileage worse than my SS. My SS gets an average 20 mpg and the truck about 15. Most of my miles are on highways so a manual was a must for the SS and my pickup is an auto. To get the fun out of the SS I have to drive back roads so I get to shift more. If you have an SS and use it for a daily driver get use to waving high to everyone that passes and the constant double takes by the other drivers.

post #4 of 62 Old 02-22-2010, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member

I think the worst thing you might have to do to be on the safe side(for those days you DO get rain and whatnot) is get all-season tires instead of the summer-only performance they come with.
If you get it through one of the site sponsor dealers here they might even be able to switch out the tires at no extra charge.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 62 Old 02-22-2010, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

im not in the south but when it doesnt snow i drive her everyday its a very good DD but I too cant keep my foot out of it but have gotten good mpgs on the hwy get the SS live the dream

post #6 of 62 Old 02-22-2010, 05:26 AM

I live in Savannah and use mine as a DD. I drive it about 100 miles a day and have had no issues, not even in the rain. If that's what you want to do, I say go for it

~ Dreams do come true ~
post #7 of 62 Old 02-22-2010, 06:45 AM

Well, I intend to use mine as a daily driver. It's sitting in my garage waiting on me to get home from Afghanistan. My wife picked it up in Dec and I have yet to enjoy the state of "permagrin". Can't wait though. I did have a 98 Firebird that I used as a daily driver for 8 years. No issues really. I got a little tired of the stick in heavy stop and go situations. I had it in Colorado for a couple of years too and even with the occasional snow, it wasn't too bad. As far as comfort for driving in that car, I can't complain. I made several cross country trips in that car and never felt uncomfortable. With everyone talking how comfy the new Camaro is, I'm sure you won't have any problems either.

Now, on a different note, anyone know where/who draws the avatars BonzaiKev is using?
post #8 of 62 Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 AM

I am from the Texarkana area and use my SS as a DD. If I driver nice I can get about 20 mpg. Most of the time I get about 16 mpg. Runs great no problems. My only problem is that I forget to drive my truck every other week...

Black 2SS/RS 6M ordered 5-23-09 : 3000 9-4-09: TPW-9-28-09 : VIN# 10-6-09 : Received 10-28-09 Perma Grin since
post #9 of 62 Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

why not? if you don't mind the mpg (which isn't even that bad)...go for it!

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 02-22-2010 at 06:53 AM.
post #10 of 62 Old 02-22-2010, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

i have seen a lot of SS's on the road that look like daily drivers from how dirty they are, it is definitely a car that is cheap enough to not worry about daily driving hazards after a year or two as opposed to driving a corvette or other super cars everyday.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page