Never bought a car from a dealer... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Never bought a car from a dealer...

I need some help here...

I bought my first car from my uncle (Pontiac Grand Am GT) and dont really have an experiance with dealerships or salesmen. Can someone let me in on what goes on when buying from a dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUCH View Post
I need some help here...

I bought my first car from my uncle (Pontiac Grand Am GT) and dont really have an experiance with dealerships or salesmen. Can someone let me in on what goes on when buying from a dealer?
Decide what you want to pay (estimate the total cost including tax, title and fees), find out what incentives are available through that dealer, and go there with the intent of buying the car for no greater than: estimated cost - incentives. If they hassle you about add-ons, ignore them or don't order from them.

Also check the "Dealers to Avoid" sticky thread for who to avoid in your region.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Ask one of our sponsor dealers....

Depends ENTIRELY on the dealer. Basically, think about it like going to shop for a new refrigerator or other big appliance:

You talk about what YOU want, the dealer shows you stuff or a car on the lot if they have one close, you go over options and "build" what kind of car you want. They either have it, can locate it, or they can order it.

I've found it 1000% easier by securing any financing in advance. There's nothing wrong with the dealer doing it, but more often than not, shady types ask you what you want to pay per month, then adjust the interest rate to fit that payment. Watch out! Do your financial homework first as to your budget. Unless you really want it, avoid any of the dealer "add on" crap that does nothing more than line their pockets. Any "mandatory" add ons they may claim because they're already printed on the invoice form aren't really mandatory either. If you don't want them, they can't make you pay for them. IF they insist, then get up and walk out. Dealers have more psychological tools in their arsenal, and remember, when it comes to brass tacks, they're NOT always in your corner (not all...sponsor dealers here are some of the best)

If you're going to buy a new Camaro, talk to your local insurance companies first, to get an idea what you'll be paying for that. Also any local taxes you'll be liable for. That all gets included in the price.

I can personally attest that Eric at Classic is awesome to deal with and went out of his way to make our buying experience a 100% positive one (which is rare nowadays). And just read about the other sponsor dealers here. Quite a bit of the same.

You're in Illinois, so I wouldn't hesitate to contact Camaro Scotty since he's kinda close in Wisconson or Anna at Sparta Chevy. Regardless, start talking to some dealers once you're sure of what you want.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.

post #4 of 17 Old 02-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks el ess X for mentioning the financing part, I left that out.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post

You're in Illinois, so I wouldn't hesitate to contact Camaro Scotty since he's kinda close in Wisconson or Anna at Sparta Chevy.

YES. Take advantage of the fact that you have site sponsors that are relatively close by. They will take care of you. Also, since you are joining the military, you probably will qualify for some discounts.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 02-25-2010 at 01:00 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

the only add on i would recommend getting is GAP insurance if you choose to finance.

if you get in a wreck and total the vehicle, the insurance company is going to write you a check for what the car is worth, and most of the time that is a lot less than what you actually owe on the vehicle. and GAP insurance pays for the gap between what the insurance pays you and what you actually owe on the car, so you are not stuck with a monthly payment after the car is dead!

it's like $15 more per month... when my dealer was hassling me for stupid stuff like "irremovable stickers with hidden serial numbers on each body panel so if the car is stolen they can track the parts down" ( IMO) or "paint insurance" or supplemental road side assistance when it already comes with that through OnStar. they wanted to increase my payment by $50 per month.

i put my foot down and said, "NO! i don't need that crap that i will never use!" so the guy said, "ok well we will just give you the GAP insurance and all the other stuff for free since it is already on the car"

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 02-25-2010 at 01:15 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
the only add on i would recommend getting is GAP insurance if you choose to finance.

if you get in a wreck and total the vehicle, the insurance company is going to write you a check for what the car is worth, and most of the time that is a lot less than what you actually owe on the vehicle. and GAP insurance pays for the gap between what the insurance pays you and what you actually owe on the car, so you are not stuck with a monthly payment after the car is dead!

it's like $15 more per month... when my dealer was hassling me for stupid stuff like "irremovable stickers with hidden serial numbers on each body panel so if the car is stolen they can track the parts down" ( IMO) or "pain insurance" or supplemental road side assistance when it already comes with that through OnStar. they wanted to increase my payment by $50 per month.

i put my foot down and said, "NO! i don't need that crap that i will never use!" so the guy said, "ok well we will just give you the GAP insurance and all the other stuff for free since it is already on the car"
Thats good red. I forgot that sometimes they really try to stick it to you.. Thanks for the reminder..

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!
post #8 of 17 Old 02-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

oh and from experience... DO NOT PAY OVER MSRP! if the dealer won't remove it and show you the true window sticker price as it looks online, then go somewhere else and give them the

i didn't get active in time on this forum to know of dealers not marking up this car... this was back last May when they first came out, i called around town, one place had a $10k mark up, another place told it would be for MSRP but when i went to order they showed me the bottom line and it had a $5000 mark up so i raised hell, they wouldn't remove it so i stormed out. then finally went to another place and they only had a $2000 mark up when i ordered, i asked them nicely to remove it, and even got the manager involved, and he stated, no one is selling this car for MSRP, NO ONE! so i gave in and figured they had the lowest mark up so i ordered...

10 weeks later i go to pick it up... i'm sorry Sir but the bank will only finance the car for this much and you need to put another $2k down to cover the rest of the cost... i was FED UP! but i wanted the car, so i put the $9500 down, financed $35k with 8.5% APR (i was 21, now 22, and thats the best they can do for a young guy!) then they try to hassle me for the add ons, then they forget to fill up the gas tank (i pretty much paid the dealership $2000 to fill up my tank , then it started raining... i just had to get out of there!

SS-Eric and Camaro Scotty, i wish there were more places in the USA that did business like you guys do!

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #9 of 17 Old 02-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

My dad always told me to go into the dealership and tell them to show you what the MSRP is, what the dealer price is, and what the Employee price is.

when we ordered my brothers G8 we told the salesman we would only buy it that day if they sold it to us for $100 over the dealer's cost... miraculously the guy said OK, but when we went back to buy another car from him, he was no longer employed there!

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #10 of 17 Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Don't pay MSRP. Everyone pays no more than GM employee pricing on Camaro (or they should!)

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page