1lt/rs - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

1lt/rs

i test drove a 1lt/rs today and found that the steering felt a little to big for the car and was aslo off center. the brakes felt too mushy and the v6 did not seem to have that much power when shiflting thru the 6-speed. people on this forum what do you think of the 1lt/rs 6-speed thank you for your answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono01 View Post
i test drove a 1lt/rs today and found that the steering felt a little to big for the car and was aslo off center. the brakes felt too mushy and the v6 did not seem to have that much power when shiflting thru the 6-speed. people on this forum what do you think of the 1lt/rs 6-speed thank you for your answers.
It sounds like your test drive went badly for this model.

Try a 2LT or try another 1LT and see if your opinion changes.

What we think won't affect your test drive.

Add muscle to your muscle car.
Use P90X
9/14/10- Traded in Camaro for a 2010 F150 Lariat
post #3 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 07:26 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
Try an automatic and really get down on it. Shifting takes too much time and coordination. The steering wheel seemed a little odd to me at first, but now I don't notice it. Give it another drive. What are you currently driving?

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina

post #4 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Bought my 1LT in July of 09.

Black w/ chrome wheels
305 HP v6
Manual 6 Speed
35% Tint on the windows
Ground Effect body kit
Console gauge cluster
Blacked out Bowties

Not sure what you mean about the steering too big for the car, but I find it quite stable. Very little correction while driving. Off center is easily fixable. I did ask the dealer to do an alignment on it cause I noticed a slight left drift in it and the alignment fixed that no problem.

Mushy brakes ... I personally don't think so. I can stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change. Didn't even have a problem in the one snow I drove thru this winter. I have braked from 117 to 50 quite rapidly and never a chirp from the tires and the car didn't nose dive, as even I thought it would.

60 MPH to zero in 100 feet are the specs.

Not much power in the V6? I can chirp the tires in 4 gears. If you want to compare it to a real no power v6 test drive a Mustang first. Mustang v6's are, and always have been, underpowered.

In fact, Mustangs are famous for being underpowered. A V6 that produces 215 hp? Seriously? Most V6 family sedans have more horsepower and I think every minivan does (my wife's Honda Odyssey can easily beat a stock V6 Mustang in a drag race). You have to get the V8 Mustang to get V6 performance.

It looks like for 2011 Ford will steal Mazda's V6 and get an extra 100 hp and upgrade to a new V8 to get another 100 hp over the current V8. My question is, what took them so long?

OTOH, I really don't care alot for the shifter. I have an '88 G3 2.8 liter slug that I drove for 21 years (kept my heavy right foot out of the slammer for a long time) that has a Borg/Warner T-10 that shifts like silk on silk. Still does to this day. The 2010 Camaro shifter seems rough and I can feel the edge of the gear as it comes out and goes into gear. But then I feel things that most other people don't. In fact, my wife says I sense things that aren't happening ... yet. ... and I hate the key.

IMHO, one of the problems with the early driving of a new car to feel the horsepower is the RPM limit you need to pay attention to during the break in period. The v6 doesn't hit the powerband until about 3500 to 4000. Then it kicks you back in the seat very nicely.

I am sure the LS3 would do you much better for raw HP, but mine is my DD and I get 22+ MPG in rush hour traffic and I commute 40 miles a day compared to the 19 MPG (I think it is) for the v8.

OK ... I gotta stop now cause my fingers are hurtin'
post #5 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 PM

I have a 1Lt with the RS package and automatic and I find no problem with the steering. The brakes work fine also. As for power, I find that this car has all the power I need and the acceleration is great. I was debating on getting the SS when I bought this one, but decided to go with the 6 after test driving it. I have absolutley no regrets

2010 Camaro LT1/RS
Red Jewel Tint Coat
Dark Grey Stripes
post #6 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njp1956 View Post
I have a 1Lt with the RS package and automatic and I find no problem with the steering. The brakes work fine also. As for power, I find that this car has all the power I need and the acceleration is great. I was debating on getting the SS when I bought this one, but decided to go with the 6 after test driving it. I have absolutley no regrets
+1

2010 1LT RS, M6, Silver w/black stripes
post #7 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk View Post
Try an automatic and really get down on it. Shifting takes too much time and coordination. The steering wheel seemed a little odd to me at first, but now I don't notice it. Give it another drive. What are you currently driving?
shifting takes to much time and coordination? really lol ive never thought of a manual gearbox that way....maybe for a Stroke sufferer or special person.

'Winning'
post #8 of 10 Old 03-19-2010, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
if you thought the 3.6 di was slow apparently you have never driven a 4th gen v6..... if your wanting more power get the ss. the v6 has power but it sounds like you want the ss

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #9 of 10 Old 03-19-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
today i drove a different 1lt/rs with a 6-speed and again the steering wheel is not center that 2 cars same problem can someone tell me why
post #10 of 10 Old 03-19-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
today i drove a different 1lt/rs with a 6-speed and again the steering wheel is not center that 2 cars same problem can someone tell me why
Maybe you are leaning and it is not the steering wheel

2010 Camaro LT1/RS
Red Jewel Tint Coat
Dark Grey Stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page