Tightening the drain plug and oil filter cap - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Tightening the drain plug and oil filter cap

I'm going to do my first oil change tomorrow and was looking for some info online. I found the following from GM:

***Install the oil pan drain plug and NEW O-ring seal and tighten to 20 N∑m (15 lb ft). Lower the vehicle. Install the NEW oil filter cartridge. Caution: Lubrication must be applied to the threads of the oil filter cap prior to installation. Failure to lubricate the oil filter cap threads can hinder later removal and cause possible oil filter cap damage. Lubricate the oil filter cap threads with clean engine oil. Caution: Proper oil filter cap tightening is mandatory. Failure to tighten the oil filter cap to the proper specification can hinder later removal and cause possible oil filter cap damage. Use a 6-point socket to install the oil filter cap. Install the oil filter cap and tighten to 25 N∑m (18 lb ft)***

Is the tightening portion for the drain plug and oil filter cap really necessary? I've never heard of this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

if it doesn't leak, and comes off easily without stripping the threads at the next fill up, then its okay.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #3 of 4 Old 03-28-2010, 02:19 PM

I use a torque wrench on oil drain plugs. In the old days of steel oil pans, it was difficult to over-torque, but aluminum oil pans with helicoil inserts are another story. Use a torque wrench!

The cartridge filter cap on the V-6 needs to be treated with care also. I have a smillar one on an Eco-tech 16 valve 4. The thread area is huge and needs to be lubricated.

If you have a torque wrench, why not use it?

post #4 of 4 Old 03-28-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-it Man View Post
I use a torque wrench on oil drain plugs. In the old days of steel oil pans, it was difficult to over-torque, but aluminum oil pans with helicoil inserts are another story. Use a torque wrench!

The cartridge filter cap on the V-6 needs to be treated with care also. I have a smillar one on an Eco-tech 16 valve 4. The thread area is huge and needs to be lubricated.

If you have a torque wrench, why not use it?
I tend to take it easy when tightening oil drain plugs but I'm going to get a torque wrench for future oil changes.

I did lubricate the thread area on the filter cap. It was a bit hard to screw back on (same when I screwed it off) so I wonder if I put enough oil on it. I filled the cap of one of the oil bottles with oil and poured it on the thread. That should be enough, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page