Modern Camaro Forums banner

In Loving Memory

6K views 42 replies 34 participants last post by  patriotpa 
#1 ·
now that i officially own my car i would like to take this time to share my story about how and why i am able to own her.

on the night of october 9th 2009 i received a phone call from my brother that my father had suffered a massive brain hemmorage and was not going to make it through the night. my family lives a hard 10 hour drive away from me. we left and made the drive as fast as a 3/4 ton diesel could. when we arrived at the hospital at 5am was when i was informed that my father was brain dead. the neurologists explained that he was brain dead within an instant of the hemmorage bursting and that he was kept on life support for my arrival. all of this rocked me to the absolute core as my dad was my rock throughout my entire life. at 6am on october 10th we made the decision to remove him from life support and i held his hand until he took his final breath.

the funeral was 5 days later and we laid my dad to rest.

after some very long discussions we came to the agreement to use part of my inheritance as the down payment on my car.

this car is dedicated in loving memory of my father

i hope you like her dad

See less See more
#5 ·
Word. Could not have said it better my self. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
I am truly sorry for your loss Kitty. Last February I lost my dad as well. It was similar circumstances. We live in MA, and Mom and Dad lived in FL, we got a call that he had acute liver failure. Over the next 3 days the buildup of ammonia in his blood caused permanent brain damage. The whole family stayed by his side for the next five days until he passed at a hospice.

I had ordered my Camaro in September of 2008. My Dad thought it was the coolest car. He was proud of me for finally getting a good job and being able to afford it. We had plans on driving it to Florida in the Spring to take him for a ride. We are leaving for Florida today to visit MOM more than a year later. I can't bring myself to drive Cammy there though.

I think of my Dad everytime I get in the car. I hope you have fond memories
of the good times you both had!

Randy
Sorry if I hijacked your post, I have been thinking about this alot lately.....

#12 ·
thank you everyone for the kind words and the congrats.

dragom yes that is me in the one picture.

and demon i love your idea for the plate!

for those that have posted about the loss of one of their parents as well my condolances go out to each and every one of you.

and yellow you haven't hijacked my thread at all. if you ever need someone to talk to don't be afraid to message me.

i know my dad was riding around with me last night smiling ear to ear too

#15 ·
so now that i'm at work and have more time to type

here's my heart stopping story from last night. cody and i made the deal that i would get to drive the car home from the dealership, but that he could drive it to go back and fetch my dually from the safeway parking lot it was left in. so going to get my truck was the first time we were both able to be in the car at the same time. oh and that ambient lighting too freaking cool!!! we didn't even know that existed :eek:

so anyways we're both playing with the car and just learning how all the functions work. like our driver command centre (which still needs to be played with) and just having a great time enjoying the car. we get to my dually and cody is laughing about how it's this nice big open parking lot and he could do donuts. i very nicely scold him and tell him no :lol:

we're headed back to the house and not 5 min out of town we see this truck and trailer pulled over. bout 20 feet behind that truck and trailer is a mooshed deer all over the road. so i text cody and tell him once again BE CAREFUL!

so we're about 20km from home and i'm giggling in my dually behind cody in the camaro cuz he's playing with it. speed up, slow down, rip ahead slow down again. and just as i'm watching this a coyote runs out in front of him. he's on the binders, i'm on the binders. my heart actually stopped beating. after it was all said and done and i reminded myself to breathe i sent him another text message saying that was too close. he stuck to the speed limit for the rest of the trip lol

#25 ·
so now that i'm at work and have more time to type

here's my heart stopping story from last night. cody and i made the deal that i would get to drive the car home from the dealership, but that he could drive it to go back and fetch my dually from the safeway parking lot it was left in. so going to get my truck was the first time we were both able to be in the car at the same time. oh and that ambient lighting too freaking cool!!! we didn't even know that existed :eek:

so anyways we're both playing with the car and just learning how all the functions work. like our driver command centre (which still needs to be played with) and just having a great time enjoying the car. we get to my dually and cody is laughing about how it's this nice big open parking lot and he could do donuts. i very nicely scold him and tell him no :lol:

we're headed back to the house and not 5 min out of town we see this truck and trailer pulled over. bout 20 feet behind that truck and trailer is a mooshed deer all over the road. so i text cody and tell him once again BE CAREFUL!

so we're about 20km from home and i'm giggling in my dually behind cody in the camaro cuz he's playing with it. speed up, slow down, rip ahead slow down again. and just as i'm watching this a coyote runs out in front of him. he's on the binders, i'm on the binders. my heart actually stopped beating. after it was all said and done and i reminded myself to breathe i sent him another text message saying that was too close. he stuck to the speed limit for the rest of the trip lol

Critters of all kind love this car and want to get up close and personal so you gotta becareful

#16 ·
I don't know if your dad liked cars of if he would appreciate the beautiful machine that you have dedicated to him, but from your interactions here and other places I am sure of one thing Kitty, he was **** proud of the kind and witty daughter he has and would relish in the excitement that you have had for this car since the day you ordered it. I am glad that he was able to give you something in his passing that would give you joy in life, may your father RIP and smile from above when you burn the tires.

#20 ·
you're gonna make me cry jon :eek:

thank you so much everyone for the very kind words. it's very hard to read this thread every time i click on the new posts, but it's healing as well when i look out back and see my car. i definately know he will be riding with me everytime we head out

#18 ·
Kitty, your father would be very happy for you, and I'm sure he rides with you now. So sorry for your loss. I lost my mom October 5, 2009, very much like your dad, but she passed immediately. I hope you have many years of riding joy with your new baby, your dad would want that I am sure.

#19 ·
My condolences.:(

It's a nice way to remember your dad...I like demon's plate suggestion.

Best of luck w/ your new ride.:thumbsup:

#26 ·
I feel for ya Kitty. It's never easy losing a family member like that.

Pretty similar situation with me.

I lost my Dad in December, 3 days before Christmas. He had been battling Cancer for over 2 years and it finally got the best of him.

My Dad is the reason that I'm into cars and more specifically, Camaros and Firebirds. When I was 1, my Dad had a butternut yellow 1969 Camaro. I don't remember the car but he always talked about it. I even have a pic of us standing with the car on Easter 1977.

I got my 1st Camaro when I was 18. It was an '87 IROC-Z. I've had 7 more f-bodies since that one.

I used the money my Dad left me on my '10 Camaro too because I know he would have enjoyed that. He and I became fans of the new Camaro the 1st time we saw the concept in 2006.

I wish he could have been here to enjoy the car with me.

Attachments

#27 ·
that is a great picture morpheus :)

too bad we lived so far away or we'd go for a cruise for our dad's with our cars

#28 ·
Kitty,
Sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your Dad.
My father passed away 11/13/2007 after spending the last year of his life in a nursing home. He had blue eyes. Mom has green. Mine are aqua! That's why I got the aqua blue metallic on my Camaro. I also used some money Mom gave me after she cashed in one of Dad's life insurance policies for the Camaro. I took delivery of my 2010 2LT ABM on 11/13/2009, the second anniversary of Dad's passing!
God Bless and wishing you many safe and happy miles in your Camaro!

#29 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I'm sure he's looking down and smiling seeing the enjoyment your getting out of the car that HE helped you buy. I can relate to your story, my father passed away near the end of 2008, he left myself and my siblings both a cash inheritence as well as stocks. I used my share of the stocks to purchase a new motorcycle. My dad rode bikes for over 60 years so I'm sure he would have approved of my decision.
Enjoy your new ride, its a beauty

#30 ·
Im so sorry Kitty.. I have lost many people close to me in my life over the years. But, I always believe that as long as your remember them there never really gone. There just around the block or something. And someday soon you will see them again.. Good Luck..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.