Modern Camaro Forums banner

GM Woos Google: Collaboration Would Compete with Ford/Microsoft's Sync

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Luwinkle 
#1 ·

General Motors is negotiating with Internet search behemoth and new smartphone marketer Google to develop in-car telematics to compete with Ford and Microsoft’s Sync/MyFord systems, sources say. One says Google would sell its Android operating system for in-car use. The operating system supports Google’s Android smartphone, the new competitor to Apple’s iPhone.

Like Sync, Google’s Android would allow GM customers to pair their vehicles with almost any brand of smartphone. While Android would offer GM serious competition for Ford’s popular Sync, which was recently expanded into a set of services now called MyFord, MyMercury, and MyLincoln, the Google hookup wouldn’t be an entirely parallel competitor with the Microsoft system. For example, Android could allow GM vehicle owners to open, start and/or adjust their cars and trucks, something Microsoft hasn’t done for Ford.

Google would allow better two-way communication between a smartphone and the car. Google’s operating system also would render useless GM-owned OnStar’s turn-by-turn navigation system, because Android would use its own GPS map navigation. This could be a sticking point in negotiations between Google and GM.

How soon could it happen? We’re unlikely to get confirmation from either GM or Google earlier than 2011.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6646652/t...ford-microsofts-sync/index.html#ixzz0nqcFv4fs

See less See more
#3 ·
Indeed it would. I have an Android phone and next to my laptop honestly one of the only purchases I've made without any guilt. I had read reviews of the phones and OS and had reservations, but in the end I was (and still am) impressed with the system.

Oddly enough, Sprint uses their proprietary GPS nav system on my Hero so I don't see why GM and Google can't come to terms with merging the Onstar system with an Android base/shell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.