SYSADM - HRPT Trip - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

SYSADM - HRPT Trip

So day one, it's up early, finish packing the gear and make sure I didn't forget anything. Pour my 16 year old into the car and away we go. Left San Antonio around 0630, traffic jam in Austin around 9, hit Dallas area around 1100. Saw a couple of trailered Vettes along the way, not sure if they are headed to the tour or just regular transport. Saw a few enclosed car trailers as well. Got to Oklahoma City around 2 and promptly ran out of highway..... I mean one minute we're toolin along at 77 mph, then it went down to 55, 45, 35, then we're downtown. WTH!!! Hello Onstar, I seem to have missed a highway, can you tell me where it is? Back on I35 north after a 20 minute misplacement. The highways in north Oklahoma really really suck, did they put the potholes there on purpose, or do they have miscreants out there late at night with 1/2 sticks of dynamite creating them. I'm not sure which one created them, but it was hard to dodge THAT many of them. Pulled off into a picnic stop and took a couple pics, then on to Kansas, oh by the way, it's a turnpike, which I didn't know. So we pay to use the driver funded road, shouldn't the state be paying for this? San Antonio tried this and they got gunned down like Dillinger at the Bijou. Anyway, we did finally make it to the Marriott Wichita in Wichita, KS after 612 miles. Nice hotel, clean room, very good food at the restaurant, I had Shrimp and Scallop Capalini, kiddo had the Herb Roasted Chicken. I'm off to the bar to have a few cold ones, here's the couple of pics from today.

First day road rash:

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4

Last edited by TX_SS; 06-05-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 PM

Hey, are you taking a piss in the 3rd pic?
That last pic is in Wichita? Still looks mighty shiny.
Be safe, you have a long way to go and many miles yet to enjoy!
Tell Ryan hi
post #3 of 12 Old 06-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Safe trip TX_SS, I just got done with a kentucky to california run, I feel your pain in OK.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-04-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

SYSADM - HRPT Day 2

This day started around 0830 after breakfast at the Marriott in Wichita, took one final Picture before we left. Exit there, coupla right turns and boom, right onto I35 North. Pictures were pretty sparse again today, all there was to look at was asphalt and farmland. Got to Oklahoma City after a while and had to do a bunch of highway changes to keep going north. One of the highways was I75 West, wait, we wanted I75 Easy, no problem, find an exit, get on the other on ramp, start down the road and 5 minutes later my son says "Hey, didn't we want East".."Yes"..."We're still on West"..."Impossible, we took the turn around"... highway sign spotted by me...I75 West. Dammit!! Take another exit, ensure that we're entering the eastbound side of I75, ok now we're heading east, check car compass, yes EAST. Other than that is was a pretty non eventful stretch, except for the truck towing a trailer on the turnpike. I see white smoke start from the right side of the trailer, small bit of rubber start skippin along the highway behind the trailer. I'm about 100 feet behind him, bigger chunks of rubber start emerging, guy either doesn't see it in his mirror or is on the phone, either one, he doesn't know what's goin on. I'm now about 50 feet behind him, a slice of tread goes whistlin past the right side of my car, missed me, I floor it, gather up the back end, and go screamin past him. I look in the rearview, now he knows something is wrong, slows, and pulls over to the side. No harm, no foul. Now I'm parked near Newton, Iowa for the start of the Power Tour. Gates open at Iowa Speedway tomorrow at noon and the festivities go until 6pm. You can bet I'll have a ton of pics to post. here's the few from today:

post #5 of 12 Old 06-05-2010, 02:15 PM

Traveling thru the heartland, dodging the hazards. Sounds like you're having fun!
Keep us posted and drive safely!!
post #6 of 12 Old 06-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Good Luck bud!

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_SS View Post
This day started around 0830 after breakfast at the Marriott in Wichita, took one final Picture before we left. Exit there, coupla right turns and boom, right onto I35 North. Pictures were pretty sparse again today, all there was to look at was asphalt and farmland. Got to Oklahoma City after a while and had to do a bunch of highway changes to keep going north. One of the highways was I75 West, wait, we wanted I75 Easy, no problem, find an exit, get on the other on ramp, start down the road and 5 minutes later my son says "Hey, didn't we want East".."Yes"..."We're still on West"..."Impossible, we took the turn around"... highway sign spotted by me...I75 West. Dammit!! Take another exit, ensure that we're entering the eastbound side of I75, ok now we're heading east, check car compass, yes EAST. Other than that is was a pretty non eventful stretch, except for the truck towing a trailer on the turnpike. I see white smoke start from the right side of the trailer, small bit of rubber start skippin along the highway behind the trailer. I'm about 100 feet behind him, bigger chunks of rubber start emerging, guy either doesn't see it in his mirror or is on the phone, either one, he doesn't know what's goin on. I'm now about 50 feet behind him, a slice of tread goes whistlin past the right side of my car, missed me, I floor it, gather up the back end, and go screamin past him. I look in the rearview, now he knows something is wrong, slows, and pulls over to the side. No harm, no foul. Now I'm parked near Newton, Iowa for the start of the Power Tour. Gates open at Iowa Speedway tomorrow at noon and the festivities go until 6pm...
That part of Kansas looks a lot like South Carolina.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Sorry about missin a couple days, been a bit hectic during the day, and a bit drunk out in the evenings

Here are the videos of the pictures from HRPT day 1 - 4, they move kinda fast so you'll be using pause a lot

Day 1 - Newton, IA :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8D5a9n7dQs

Day 2 - Newton to Springfield, IL :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x6tZWVa_A8

Day 3 - Springfield to Du Quoin, IL (with a stop at Mid America Motorsports):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JBgiw396PQ

Day 4 - Du Quoin to Bowling Green, KY (with a stop at the semi-famous hillbilly museum) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAtn1NFfMX0

Today from Du Quoin, IL to Bowling Green, KY was a a real nice drive through a bunch of small towns and glass-smooth two-lane highways. The bad news - I got rear ended by someone that was too busy watching all the other cars Damage is relatively light, no-one got hurt, and the car is still running fine. I got it to Campbell Chevy in Bowling Green and they checked it over. Nothing damaged that will stop the tour for me. I'll need to hit Gunn Chevy when I get back home in order to get the rear fascia and diffuser replaced, and the exhaust is turned a bit as you'll see in the video. Campbell Chevy straightened it enough to get rid of the new rattle rattle that started after the accident, and they didn't charge me for any lift time or work. Enjoy, I'll be sure to post again tomorrow.

post #9 of 12 Old 06-10-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

So on one of the travel days we saw these three Aussie Brat lookin cars, they were traveling in order Red, White and Blue, they also have custom plates that read OZ2US1, OZ2US2 and OZ2US3. I thought it was pretty cool that they would make the trip in the first place, with three cars, and it was all very well pre planned. They have a You Tube site that you can see on the back of the white one. These were taken in the parking lot of the hotel I'm staying at for tonight, they must be out raisin hell in the red one right now

post #10 of 12 Old 06-10-2010, 08:15 PM

I believe they are Holdens.

In Mexico, they are Chevrolet Tornados.

and others....

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page