keeping ahead of mustangs - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

keeping ahead of mustangs

ok guys .i have had my 2ss/rs since aug 09 & its been fun having more horses then the mustangs. but when the 5.0 comes its going be close some even say thay are a little faster . i was reading the other day that it will come out with headers.what we need to do is get our game together .i know we got a 6.2 & thay got a 5.0 but do we need to put headers on ours maybe a better air filter this is a war & most of stang owners is smart a!!!! so lets put our heads together & come up with something we can do it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Already rockin a CAI and cat-back exhaust no way a stang gonna pull on me then again with their choice in Transmissions they probably wont be going anywhere, not to mention their motor recall
post #3 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

The problem is weight.. They are like 800 lbs less then the new 5th gen.. Thats alot. All we need is a diet.

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!

post #4 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

gears will help keep up with it. intake is always good. catback and headers cant hurt. i did a cam package.mustangs also stop a bit better than the camaro, so maybe stainless steel brake lines and 2 piece slotted rotors. its a bit lighter too so maybe a fiber glass or carbon fiber hood and trunk.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #5 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

the only thing the camaro ss needs to keep up with a 2011 mustang gt that has the "track package" and "factory installed rear gears" is the rear gears. the manual tranny SS with 4.10 gears and the automatic tranny SS with 3.73 gears will compete with the fully loaded 2011 GT.

don't let people fool you into saying "Oh the new mustang is so much faster than the camaro!" magazines are biased and the real competition is the driver you are racing against, not the car! a stock camaro can kill a shelby if the camaro driver knows what he is doing and the shelby driver doesn't

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #6 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 04:23 PM

All that and the mustang will never have the good looks as the camaro has
never.

post #7 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Who cares? It's still just a rust....mustang. No eye-catching beauty. Bad engines from the factory. Chi-com tranny (transmissions, not the other type) And to wrap it all up.. EVERY SINGLE Ford my wife and I, and my parents have ever owned was a POS and we've had 2 Probes, 1 Ranger, 1 Taurus, 1 Blazer, 1 Sable (still a Ford). After a half dozen vehicles having major issues early in their lives we've had enough of Ford. They make ****ty vehicles.

You can polish as hard as you want, but a turd is still a turd.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #8 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRAITHSS View Post
The problem is weight.. They are like 800 lbs less then the new 5th gen.. Thats alot. All we need is a diet.
They are not 800lbs less than a 5th gen. That would mean they are about 3000-3100lbs or so. Which they aren't.
The V8's will be fairly close to the camaros, but still lighter by about 300lbs or so. Options depending.

Straight from Ford's website.
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...g_GT_Specs.pdf

BASE CURB WEIGHT (POUNDS)

GT Coupe:
Manual transmission 3,605 (est.)
Automatic transmission 3,653 (est.)
Weight distribution (f/r) 54/46 (est.)

GT Convertible:
Manual transmission 3,720 (est.)
Automatic transmission 3,770 (est.)
Weight distribution (f/r) 53/47 (est.)
post #9 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Who cares?

You can polish as hard as you want, but a turd is still a turd.
like putting makeup on a pig!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #10 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgen89gta View Post
They are not 800lbs less than a 5th gen. That would mean they are about 3000-3100lbs or so. Which they aren't.
The V8's will be fairly close to the camaros, but still lighter by about 300lbs or so. Options depending.

Straight from Ford's website.
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...g_GT_Specs.pdf

BASE CURB WEIGHT (POUNDS)

GT Coupe:
Manual transmission 3,605 (est.)
Automatic transmission 3,653 (est.)
Weight distribution (f/r) 54/46 (est.)

GT Convertible:
Manual transmission 3,720 (est.)
Automatic transmission 3,770 (est.)
Weight distribution (f/r) 53/47 (est.)
Well, If you got that off the web site then it must be right.. Is that for the new 2011 or 2010? My friend said his weight with a full tank with him out of the car was 3120lbs. And my friends 2SS was 3940lbs with a full tank and no one in the car. The only reason I know this is a fact is that there is a scrape yard near my house and they have drive on scales and they wanted to see the difference because of a bet they had with each other.. I will double check ASAP..

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page