Fluid replacements, what have you done? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Question Fluid replacements, what have you done?

First and formost, this is not to ask what is recommended, what someone has done on thier past vehicals or what your uncle Larry thinks you should do . I am just curious what you have done so far to YOUR 2010+ Camaro, to see a comparison of what the MC members are doing.

First Oil Change: Sticking with Factory Spec Mobil 1, 2000 miles.

Second Oil Change: Got back from driving for 3 weeks all over the U.S. 10,100 miles. (that was 3 weeks after my first oil change)

Third Oil Change: 19,400 miles.

First Transmission Change: Went with Royal Purple, 19,400

First Rear Diff: Went with Royal Purple, 19,400

Checked the PH ballance of my Clutch/Brake fluid, figure I will give it another 5 to 9 K before changing that.

Go to http://www.cheers*****.com/Camaro.html to view picictures of my Camaro!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

WOW...that's a lot of miles.

Did you feel a difference in the trans w/ the RP?

here's mine...
1st oil change...1000 miles / mobil1/napa gold filter.
2nd oil change...2000 miles and I'll change it every spring from here on out.

Changed the diff fluid w/ the 4.10 install...and changed it again once the gears were broken in...at about 700 miles. Stuck w/ the GM diff fluid because that's what richmond recommends.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 37 Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I did feel a difference with the trans & diff, part of the reason I decided to change the fluids now is that I started to hear a slight whine from the trans when going through gears. That sound is gone now and the car shifts smoother for sure. The color of both fluids was still decent, kinda middle of the road, and no major metal shavings so I think this was a good time for me to change them. I really have not beat this car much, I go fast and get throught the gears quick, but no real "smoke so high and thick you can't see the stop light anymore" burnouts. I kinda figured you would have already changed these fluids PF, I think I remember you talking about the oil @ 1k.

post #4 of 37 Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigam21 View Post
I did feel a difference with the trans & diff, part of the reason I decided to change the fluids now is that I started to hear a slight whine from the trans when going through gears. That sound is gone now and the car shifts smoother for sure. The color of both fluids was still decent, kinda middle of the road, and no major metal shavings so I think this was a good time for me to change them. I really have not beat this car much, I go fast and get throught the gears quick, but no real "smoke so high and thick you can't see the stop light anymore" burnouts. I kinda figured you would have already changed these fluids PF, I think I remember you talking about the oil @ 1k.
yeah, I'll probably do RP in the trans...at some point, maybe in the spring when I change the oil. I've heard that it quiets down the trans a bit. No rush...I'm just about ready to hit 3000 miles. I really need to drive it more.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #5 of 37 Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
yeah, I'll probably do RP in the trans...at some point, maybe in the spring when I change the oil. I've heard that it quiets down the trans a bit.
I took a ride up to Payson just to get out of the heat on Saturday right after the fluid changes. Lots of mountians, 7% grades & long straights. I would have to say that it dose quiet the trans for sure.

post #6 of 37 Old 07-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

1st oil change: 6,000 miles in oil life indicator was at 50%
1st rear diff change: 6,000 miles

haven't messed with the transmission fluid yet.

car has 8500 miles

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 07-12-2010 at 12:04 PM.
post #7 of 37 Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM

1st oil change at 1,875 miles using Mobil 1 5W30 and PF 48 filter.

Next oil change will be at around 9,000 miles or at the end of November, which ever comes first. The car will be semi-dormant in the winter, to keep it away from salt.

I have no plans to change the diff or tranny fluid before 50,000 miles.

2SS A6 Summit White, Black Interior
post #8 of 37 Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

My first Oil Change
Came @ 2000K Miles 8 Quarts 5w30 with a Mobil 1 filter.

My Second Oil change
It came at 5071 miles 8 quarts 15w50 Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter.
( note I had to change the oil after 500 miles on my conversion thats why I did it at 5071. Normally im gonna do it every 5,000 )

I also run a oil filter magnet and magnet drainplug both had very fine particles of shavings when I changed it. 2nd time around Clean as a whistle

When I change the oil I always run 1 quart through the motor with the plugged pulled to remove any lose stuff.... IT WORKS

Transmission Change has not been touched yet.

Rearend change I didafter my Arkansas Trip of playing hard in the higher elevation mountains and it was done at 3619
I put royal purple 75W90 in afterwards the car ran smoother at normal opperating speeds 40 and 70 mph
post #9 of 37 Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I also run a oil filter magnet and magnet drainplug both had very fine particles of shavings when I changed it. 2nd time around Clean as a whistle
That sounds like a good addition, I have never paid attention to the trans thet much (besides changing the fluids on a regular basis) in my past vehicals, and the last 3 have been autos. So when I asked about the magnetic filter in this car and was told that a manual did not have one I felt a little dumb, but thats how I learn, by asking. So next time I change the oil I will ask about the mag plug & filter, it can only help. Do they make something similar for the manual trans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I put royal purple 75W90 in afterwards the car ran smoother at normal opperating speeds 40 and 70 mph
Like I said above to PF, I aggree that the RP made a difference, and for how little you change this fluid, any improvement by a simple fluid brand change is worth the extra $ IMO!

post #10 of 37 Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigam21 View Post
That sounds like a good addition, I have never paid attention to the trans thet much (besides changing the fluids on a regular basis) in my past vehicals, and the last 3 have been autos. So when I asked about the magnetic filter in this car and was told that a manual did not have one I felt a little dumb, but thats how I learn, by asking. So next time I change the oil I will ask about the mag plug & filter, it can only help. Do they make something similar for the manual trans?

Like I said above to PF, I aggree that the RP made a difference, and for how little you change this fluid, any improvement by a simple fluid brand change is worth the extra $ IMO!

I got my filter magnet and my drain plug from Jegs and Summitt im sure they have something for your application .

yeah I went with RP just because of all the good things I heard about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page