Question about freeway driving? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Question about freeway driving?

When I drive home from work everyday I have to take the freeway. The freeway is literally about 100 feet from my driveway at work, so when I pull out of the parking lot at work, I am on the freeway within seconds. My question is...

Should I let my car warm up a bit before I get on the freeway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 01:11 PM

General Motors did an experament a few years back and came to the conclusion that the best way to warm up an engine is to drive it at moderate speeds until it reaches operating temperature. This produces the least ammount of wear because the car warms up uniformly. I never wait longer with any of my vehicles than it takes for the idle to drop down to a reasonable RPM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zako51 View Post
When I drive home from work everyday I have to take the freeway. The freeway is literally about 100 feet from my driveway at work, so when I pull out of the parking lot at work, I am on the freeway within seconds. My question is...

They don't warm up the car in the assembly plant before it hits the chassis rolls for the end of line testing - I wouldn't worry about it unless its below zero out and if it gets that cold in LA you have other things to worry about!

post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

I think the only reason to warm a car up is to get the oil warm enough to do the proper lubricating of the engine and warm the tranny fluid. This is only necessary when it is very cold as it takes a little longer to "thin" out for best lubrication. Warmer climates shouldn't be a problem.

Silver Ice Metallic 2013 Camaro 2LT
Born 7/29/2012 Delivered 4/24/2013
CyCam1
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffY View Post
They don't warm up the car in the assembly plant before it hits the chassis rolls for the end of line testing - I wouldn't worry about it unless its below zero out and if it gets that cold in LA you have other things to worry about!
I would still wait for the rpms to get down close to the normal idle rpm before pulling out, if I were him.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zako51 View Post

I would let it run for a few minutes at most. Keep the speed moderate and consistent for a little while once you are on the freeway

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #7 of 7 Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 AM

Owners manual says warmup is not necessary.

Will post reference in a bit.

Hurst Shifter / 3" Magnaflow Competition Cat-Back Exhaust / ADM Performance Street CAI / Body Color Tail Light Bezels / Headlight Armor Tail and Marker Light Kit / Fuel Rails and Plenum Cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page