Trunk opens by itself - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 08-25-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Trunk opens by itself

Has anyone else had this issue??
In the last week, My trunk has opened by itself twice.
The first time I though I must have accidentally bumped something and not noticed, but when it happened again today only a few days after the 1st time i figured there may be something going on.
The 1st time was in my neighborhood and I backed out of my garage using the rear view mirror and it definitely was not opened... about half way down my street I looked back and the trunk door was open and blocking my back window.
Then today I was heading home. jumped in my car and drove off and the little warning in my console was on saying the trunk was open. I pulled over and sure enough it was popped, but had not flipped up.
I never use my trunk so theres no chance I didn't close it all the way.. and Both times it seemed to happen in the middle of the drive, not while I was unlocking the door or anything to accidentally hit the button on the remote.
Any chance theres an electrical failure that could be causing it to pop itself?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

Mine does it every so often. I havent heard anything public about it tho

IBM 2SS/RS, M6, Blk Leather...
CAI, ARH Headers, Flowmasters, Diablosport tuned, Barton short-throw
Ordered 3/19 Delivered 8/12 VIN# 21970
94' Z28 sold 12/14/09
post #3 of 36 Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 PM

stupid question, but do the camaros need the key in the ignition or just in your pocket to start the car?????

had that issue with a home alarm system once....alarm company tapped into the garage door button, gave this lady a key fob for her house, and had it with her caddy keys....well, one day she threw her purse in the car, started it up(without the key in the ignition, twas in her purse) and the purse fell over, pressed the garage door button on the alarm fob, and she hit the garage door................see where i am going with this?????

BTW i hang garage doors for a living...hence the garage door analogy......

post #4 of 36 Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Dont hide anything in the trunk you dont want seen then

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #5 of 36 Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Depends. The autos have remote start capability but not the manuals. Since the second poster has a manual I don't think that is the issue.

Otherwise I haven't heard of this - I have only seen comments of people hitting the trunk release in the door a lot. I'll be interested to see if other people are having the same issue.

Power without control is useless.
post #6 of 36 Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 PM

Make sure your not pressing the trunk button on the remote even when it's in your pocket it can happen depending how it resting.I know because i have locked the doors and opened the doors several times with the remote in my pocket when im detailing my car.
post #7 of 36 Old 08-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanChevy View Post
Dont hide anything in the trunk you dont want seen then
Especially dead bodies!

Silver Ice Metallic 2013 Camaro 2LT
Born 7/29/2012 Delivered 4/24/2013
CyCam1
post #8 of 36 Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman475 View Post
The first time I though I must have accidentally bumped something and not noticed, but when it happened again today only a few days after the 1st time i figured there may be something going on.
The 1st time was in my neighborhood and I backed out of my garage using the rear view mirror and it definitely was not opened... about half way down my street I looked back and the trunk door was open and blocking my back window.
Then today I was heading home. jumped in my car and drove off and the little warning in my console was on saying the trunk was open. I pulled over and sure enough it was popped, but had not flipped up.
I never use my trunk so theres no chance I didn't close it all the way.. and Both times it seemed to happen in the middle of the drive, not while I was unlocking the door or anything to accidentally hit the button on the remote.
ya got a 'spirit" in the car!..really!..i have had the same thing happen to me!
spooky as hell!
post #9 of 36 Old 08-26-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman475 View Post
Your transformer has gas. I would suggest an enema.

Add muscle to your muscle car.
Use P90X
9/14/10- Traded in Camaro for a 2010 F150 Lariat
post #10 of 36 Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

SHUNT's back!

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page