Heaving thud / Knocking under my car - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-16-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Heaving thud / Knocking under my car

Hey, So I am taking my car into the dealer tomorrow to have a couple issues looked into. I wanted to see if anyone on here has had this same issue to save some time troubleshooting with the GM Mechanics who seem to know nothing about my car.

Ever since I got my Camaro back in February, I have noticed a very loud and heave Thud against the bottom of my car when coming across even minor bumbs. It almost feels like its under or around the driver seat area. It happens sometimes when I go over speed bumps (Not too fast either) or when I'm turning right over a shallow water drain or sometimes even when I heavily break. its seems like any minor bumps that the shocks absorb can sometime make this loud sound.

Does anyone here know what I'm talking about or maybe know what the problem is? I'd love to just go to the dealer and tell him what the problem is since he drove my car today and could not replicate it. hopefully I can replicate it for him tomorrow when I take him for a drive.

Anyway, thanks for any help in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

P.S. The only reason I waited this long is because I've heard that the new cars need a little time to break in and I may hears some strange noises for the 1st few thousand miles. I'm at 6K and am thinking my car should be well broken in.

post #3 of 14 Old 09-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Did you look under the car to make sure there wasn't a person under there. Maybe they were knocking trying to get out? Just a thought.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-16-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
Did you look under the car to make sure there wasn't a person under there. Maybe they were knocking trying to get out? Just a thought.
I hope not! If so he's been under there for a Long time!

post #5 of 14 Old 09-16-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman475 View Post
I hope not! If so he's been under there for a Long time!

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

You need bigger springs under your seat. You are hitting bottom. Go easier on the burgers and fries! Just kidding. Good luck. You might have a bad shock that is not working properly.

Silver Ice Metallic 2013 Camaro 2LT
Born 7/29/2012 Delivered 4/24/2013
CyCam1
post #7 of 14 Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 AM

Use the warranty young Skywalker.............

Black 2SS/RS 6M ordered 5-23-09 : 3000 9-4-09: TPW-9-28-09 : VIN# 10-6-09 : Received 10-28-09 Perma Grin since
post #8 of 14 Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Duplicate it for the Technician is the best way to go.. Always easier to fix if they know how it is done. Being a service manager at a GM Dealer, it is not the the best way going into service telling them what to do to fix it... always show them the problem and how to make it happen.. telling someone how to do their job is not the right foot to get off on.

Last edited by kc0cmj; 09-20-2010 at 01:17 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-20-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0cmj View Post
Duplicate it for the Technician is the best way to go.. Always easier to fix if they know how it is done. Being a service manager at a GM Dealer, it is not the the best way going into service telling them what to do to fix it... always show them the problem and how to make it happen.. telling someone how to do their job is not the right foot to get off on.
Yah, If I know what the problem is, I try to be very polite about it and suggest that possibility and see what they say. That is unless I'm positive I know what the issue is and they try to fix something else.. then I'll say something. Though now that I have a new car with warranty, it doesn't really matter what they fix on my car cause I'm not paying for it.. so I guess that only went for my car when I had to foot the bill!
In this particular case, My local GM techs seem to have no clue.. even the body shop guys were giving me a little warning. They all tend to look at me with a blank stare when I tell them about my problems. Almost as if they don't believe me that a car can have a problem within 6,000 miles. Its a 1st year production.. theres always gonna be kinks to work out!

post #10 of 14 Old 09-20-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCam1 View Post
You need bigger springs under your seat. You are hitting bottom. Go easier on the burgers and fries! Just kidding. Good luck. You might have a bad shock that is not working properly.
Guess I'll order the salad for lunch tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page