Modern Camaro Forums banner

Tires???

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  CamaroCliff 
#1 ·
alright here's the dish, i work at Sears Auto Center ( i actually quit and my last day is tuesday, got a fine dining food serving job) but this is whats up, some guy with a 02 SS Camaro came in for tires, 270$ a pop i priced him at. and they are 18 or 19 inch rims??? i 4get, but like i really hope GM puts an decent sized tire on there so when i decide to replace mine im not paying 1200$ for a set of tires. like 20 inch rims i think will be too much for the car. like not just being big but purchasing tires will def kick someone's wallet.

just my .02 cents.

#3 ·
Well we know the production car wont come with 20's but for some reason I have a feeling the camaro wont look good with anything below 19's. Considering the concept had what, 21's and 22'? It looks like 19's would be the smallest you would want to go without making the car look weird. then again who wants 18's or 17's right?

#6 ·
I think wide 18'' wheels with a little drop will do for me.

#8 ·
I think with the fact that more and more cars are getting larger wheels that the price will come down.

Didn't something say the 18" is standard on the G8 and 19" optional?

Being the fact that they modified the frame on the Camaro vs the G8 and said it was an expensive change, something they did just so you can fit larger wheels on it, I think they will put larger wheels on some models
I am going to guess 18-20" factory depending on trim level.

The modifications made to the frame makes it possible to fit 24" wheels so for that reason I think there will be a model with factory 20" wheels.

#10 ·
Found the sorce about the modification made

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-goes-extra-mile-to-live-up-to-camaro-concept.html

GM goes extra mile to make Camaro live up to concept
01/12/07, 03:06pm, EST

General Motors has gone the extra mile to ensure the production 2009 Chevrolet Camaro is as close to the concept version as possible. Rather than using the exact same Zeta platform as the Holden Commodore and Pontiac G8, GM made the front axle centerline on the Camaro about 50mm further forward than on the two sedans, according to Motor Trend.

The expensive change was made to allow the Camaro and Impala to fit 20-inch wheels without compromising steering lock and turning radius. A Holden source told the magazine the car could even fit 24-inch wheels without issue. Does that mean the production Camaro will have wheels worthy of a show car? We think so.

#13 ·
i liked the concept and having those huge rims will be bad ass but just thinking about doing a burn out makes me wanna throw 20 dollar bills out the window.

#15 ·
Another thing are the front tires going to be the same size as the rear? I hope so! What's the point for the two different size tires (front & rear)? The only thing I can think of is that you can not rotate the tires and this causes the tire to ware faster. Does the Vette have the same size tires on all four wheels?

#16 · (Edited)
No. The C6 and the C6-ZO6 have bigger wheels and tires on the back than the front
C6 front- 18x8.5 back- 19x10
ZO6 frnt- 18x9.5 back- 19x12

I dont mind the dif sizes in front and back but i think that 21s and 22s are a little big. I would like to see similar sizes to the vette or if the same size on all 4 then 20s.

#19 ·
Yeah, even my 1994 Vette has different size tires front and back. Very annoying, because you can't rotate. So I try to autocross as much as possible so that my tires don't last long enough to worry about uneven tire wear. :)

#20 ·
i believe that most parts for this car are going to be somewhat expensive until it becomes a 'common' car again. thats just what kind of car we are looking at. if it has 19's, fine. by the time the tires need replaced 19s should be alot more common. hopefully it will be at least a few years before they need changed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.