2011 DEXOS motor oil requirement - GM Vehicles - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Exclamation 2011 DEXOS motor oil requirement - GM Vehicles

All 2011 GM cars / trucks require DEXOS spec engine oil. If you don't go to the dealership for your oil changes, save your reciepts / proof of purchase for your warranty.......

Oils that meet the dexos 1 (yes, with a lowercase “d”) standard provide some real benefits. However, when it comes time for that first oil change, expect a 25-30 percent cost increase -- which could be about the same as choosing pure synthetic oil.

Further, GM says that if a customer has an engine failure that is traced to oil or lubrication issues, and if the customer does not use dexos 1 oil in their gasoline-powered GM vehicle, that act alone could void the warranty. The same goes for GM vehicles with diesel engines, which use a diesel-specific “dexos 2” oil blend.

For more info, go to their site for news and approved oils:

http://www.gmdexos.com/home.html

General Motors is committed to designing, building and selling the best cars in the world - and to making the experience of owning a GM vehicle one of the best. That commitment even extends to the oil put into a GM engine. Oil is a vital component of any engine and helps it run at its peak performance.

That's why GM Powertrain Fuel and Lubes engineers developed the dexos™ engine oil specification. The result - an engine oil designed specifically for your GM engine with added performance in areas important to its operation and maintenance. dexos™ is a high quality, robust oil that will contribute to longer drain intervals (meaning a customer can go longer between oil changes) as well as improved emissions performance, fuel efficiency and engine protection. And, just like GM, it's global. That's because the same quality oil needs to be available everywhere.

dexos™ is the recommended oil for any GM car. It's that simple.

Don't take unnecessary risks with your powertrain warranty. Using engine oils other than dexos™ may result in damage to your engine that is not covered.

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Rhetorically speaking, what's the difference between say, a 2010 LS3 engine and 2011 LS3 engine oiling systems that require this mandate? And how is GM relaying this info to the general public? Dexos is not mentioned at all in the 2011 Camaro brochure. With a change this significant (this is GM's betamax maneuver in my mind) is GM ensuring people that buy 2011 cars KNOW about this requirement?

I personally think it has everything to do with reducing certain element content in the oil so they can use cheaper materials in the cat converters to save money and try to make a buck in the service departments. That's just my opinion, but something tells me the end goal wasn't about lubrication.

Maybe dexos flows better through the PCV system to the intake and makes less blue smoke as you burn it reducing the need for an oil catch can.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 AM

Smells like a scam.

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
The other websites awsome excuse to ban me.

Username: Rodimus Prime Password: Rebecca1

post #4 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

as far as I can tell, it's just a new "certification"...and mobil 1 IS "dexos"...so there really is not difference.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Many manufacturers are going to this...

Oil should be good for 10,000 miles....

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #6 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

I talked to someone today that just bought an 2011 and has heard nothing about this stuff. Sound's like some engineering bullsh*t to me.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I just bought my 11 SS/RS 4 weeks ago and this is the first I've heard of it... Really makes me wonder???? I've been using Castrol in all my vehicles for yrs and use Amsoil in my Harleys...
post #8 of 19 Old 11-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

post #9 of 19 Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

I heard V6's were "exempt" so to speak. Any truth to this? If there's no dexos available, that some other GM spec oil is sufficient, although it won't have the same performance.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-11-2010, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Scotty View Post
All 2011 GM cars / trucks require DEXOS spec engine oil. If you don't go to the dealership for your oil changes, save your reciepts / proof of purchase for your warranty.......

Oils that meet the dexos 1 (yes, with a lowercase “d”) standard provide some real benefits. However, when it comes time for that first oil change, expect a 25-30 percent cost increase -- which could be about the same as choosing pure synthetic oil.

Further, GM says that if a customer has an engine failure that is traced to oil or lubrication issues, and if the customer does not use dexos 1 oil in their gasoline-powered GM vehicle, that act alone could void the warranty. The same goes for GM vehicles with diesel engines, which use a diesel-specific “dexos 2” oil blend.

For more info, go to their site for news and approved oils:

http://www.gmdexos.com/home.html

General Motors is committed to designing, building and selling the best cars in the world - and to making the experience of owning a GM vehicle one of the best. That commitment even extends to the oil put into a GM engine. Oil is a vital component of any engine and helps it run at its peak performance.

That's why GM Powertrain Fuel and Lubes engineers developed the dexos™ engine oil specification. The result - an engine oil designed specifically for your GM engine with added performance in areas important to its operation and maintenance. dexos™ is a high quality, robust oil that will contribute to longer drain intervals (meaning a customer can go longer between oil changes) as well as improved emissions performance, fuel efficiency and engine protection. And, just like GM, it's global. That's because the same quality oil needs to be available everywhere.

dexos™ is the recommended oil for any GM car. It's that simple.

Don't take unnecessary risks with your powertrain warranty. Using engine oils other than dexos™ may result in damage to your engine that is not covered.
Well Scott, they seriously need to inform the customers of this because they won't know what they are doing otherwise. Everybody is trying to save money and they'll go for that $19.95 oil change at Jiffy Lube and end up screwed. Just as I was never informed about my tires needing to be rotated on my Cobalt SS/SC which resulted in two tires being shot at 10K miles (I even brought my car to the dealership for oil changing and services; not once was rotation ever suggested), I'm sure that dealers aren't asking them to use DEXOS in their cars to protect them from unknowingly voiding their warranty. I'm sure you explain this to your clients, but there are thousands of salesmen/saleswomen that do not. Customers always end up paying because their salesmen/saleswomen; including technicians never say a **** word to protect them!!

You have been banned for the following reason:
You have not shown yourself to have reformed from your previous ban, and continue to create secondary accounts. If you continue, we will prosecute using DMCA anti-hacking laws.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Last edited by DkKnightX; 11-11-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page