GM's Crappy Transmissions - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

GM's Crappy Transmissions

Before you all freak out, I'm not referring to the Camaro (at least not yet), but I am concerned. I own a 2006 Cobalt SS/SC with 40,000 miles and a Stage 2 Performance Upgrade. Car was purchased brand new and I never raced it, though it is a work vehicle for me so it sees a boatload of stop and go traffic just about every day. I was heading to a job this past Saturday and the gears just suddenly became unresponsive. For those that don't know about the Cobalt Super Sport/Supercharged, it has a hydraulic clutch, which can take a lot of abuse and wasn't the cause of this. Apparently, something near the top of the transmission, or something that the shifter or clutch connects to (shift rods) just got shredded for some unknown reason. The dealership was licking their chops, just about laughing at the situation over the phone saying it was going to cost $1500.00 total to tear the transmission down and the warranty expired at 36,000 miles. Good job GM!! Way to go!! If I got stuck with that kind of bill, I would have unloaded my Camaro and canceled my wife's new Equinox so fast, it would have made their head spin. Fortunately, some extended warranty company contacted me over a year ago and asked me if I wanted to purchase full dealership-like coverage (5 Year or 75,000) bumper to bumper. It's a $100.00 deductible and since this greedy dealership wants $115.00 an hour for labor for some reason, which is bulls*it, my insurance will only cover up to $100.00. Seriously, that is a load of crap GM. I intentionally bought a manual transmission to avoid all the sensitive sensor nonsense and computer controller garbage that easily break in automatic transmissions. Then this happens. They had better pick their game up and stop selling sh*tty transmissions or the Equinox will be the last GM product I'll ever purchase.

You have been banned for the following reason:
You have not shown yourself to have reformed from your previous ban, and continue to create secondary accounts. If you continue, we will prosecute using DMCA anti-hacking laws.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 05:39 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

www.TampaTuning.com

I get alot of complaints about their transmissions. Even the truck guys. GM has to make that middle of the road that pleases the smoothness for the 18 year old to the 87 year old, but they still crap out. That's why I priced just a Transmission tune to make the shifts firmer, quicker, less sloppy.

Transmission performance package for $150.00

Tampa Tuning recognizes that the A4 and A6 automatic transmission owners just want their sloppy, slow shifting and sluggish transmissions tuned for a performance feel. For those owners, we designed a transmission only tuning package. We will reduce your vehicles engine and transmission torque management system and re-flash only transmission settings indicated above by *Transmission performance* notation. This will be a very noticeable change in your vehicles performance!

Check out your car on our facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tampa.tuning

Tampa Tuning: [email protected]
post #3 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

i'm sorry to hear that. i have owned a lot of GM vehicles (and a number of those have had over 100K miles). the only time i ever had a trans problem was on my 92 roadmaster when the trans crapped out at 151,000 miles. i thought that was pretty good considering i didn't get the car til it had 100K miles and i have no idea how it was maintained. it only cost me $700 to have it rebuilt (700R4) with a guy who does race car transmission work that we know.

those aftermarket warranties are always a trick bag too. i used to work in service at a GM dealership and i learned that if you want an extended warranty, always buy from the manufacturer because those aftermarket ones always find ways to weasel out of paying for things. i hope it ends up working out better for ya. i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-

post #4 of 7 Old 11-25-2010, 06:05 AM

watchout for those warranty companies. Unless gmpp or one you purchase at the dealer lots are bogus. I know some auto insurance co. sell extended protection.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-25-2010, 11:43 AM

I just had my 4l60e transmission take a crap at 80k miles

And I mean I babied it !

What a complete POS

And chevy knows all about it

It's longer about customer service

It's all about the Corporate Stock Holders and their returns

Thanks alot Chevrolet
post #6 of 7 Old 11-25-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

I know I was taking a huge chance with a third party, but at the time I didn't have enough money to extend the warranty. The way the repair went down was that the dealership decided to submit a "good-faith" repair to GM and went ahead and fixed my transmission for $100.00. The $100.00 was for the deductible that my insurance company would have charged me initially for the repair. The problem part was a "rolling pin?" Not sure what that is but he said for a $19.00 part, there was no point in keeping my car for over a week waiting for the insurance paperwork to process, authorizing the repair. The shifting is now nice and tight. I can actually feel what gear I throw the shifter into now. Reverse used to grind a lot but now the shifter locks in gear and can be felt. In short, it hasn't shifted this smooth since I bought the car new 4 years ago! I know the guy was doing his dealership the favor rather than me but I won't complain. Problem solved and didn't cost me anything of significance!! Paramus Auto Mall is generally VERY high volume and the original place I ordered my Camaro from, but they said I would have had to wait forever as they were out of allocation. Very honest, direct and up front. Thanks a bunch Chevrolet Auto Mall!! Cheers to Dave and Jim in their Service Department!!!! Absolutely awesome and I do have restored confidence in GM. I also wasn't aware GM changed their base power train warranty to 100,000 miles by default on 2010's and higher. Looks like that Equinox will pan out afterall and helps calm some of my fears about my Camaro's T6060 transmission!!

You have been banned for the following reason:
You have not shown yourself to have reformed from your previous ban, and continue to create secondary accounts. If you continue, we will prosecute using DMCA anti-hacking laws.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #7 of 7 Old 11-26-2010, 03:46 AM

roll pin

all a roll pin is a pin made by roling stell in to a circle. the reason to use a roll pin instead of a solid pin. is the pin will fit tighter being it can colaspe down to fit in a smaller hole, thereby staying inplace longer than a solid pin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page