Would you call V6 Camaro "slow" or "ricy"? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 97 Old 11-27-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Would you call V6 Camaro "slow" or "ricy"?

^I have been hearing lots of talk about the v6 sounding like "rice" and being "slow" and I just wanted to ask your guys' opinion. I have a brother with a 2002 Mustang GT. Is the V6 as fast as that. I really love camaro's and really wanna get one but I don't wanna get a car that is going to get me critisized and made fun of... I love muscle cars and I just wanted to ask you guys if the V6 is a true muscle car and not a "ricy sports coupe".Should I buy the V6 or wait and get a used SS. I really hope many of you reply with honest opinions. I could really use the help...

-Soon to be 2011 CGM RS(Hopefully)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 Old 11-27-2010, 12:47 AM

slow?..this is a joke right?..try 0-60 in 6 sec....155 top end!
no!..it's NOT slow!..trust me!..ask yourself this question!..how fast do i want to go?....if ya think about it,WHERE outside of germany, on the autobahn, can you go this fast anyway?..think about it!..just sayin"!
post #3 of 97 Old 11-27-2010, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
slow?..this is a joke right?..try 0-60 in 6 sec....155 top end!
no!..it's NOT slow!..trust me!..ask yourself this question!..how fast do i want to go?....if ya think about it,WHERE outside of germany, on the autobahn, can you go this fast anyway?..think about it!..just sayin"!
Well I was doin 150 goin to Cleveland today because my brother told me I couldn't drive a real man's car(His GT). He is always critsizing me and I hate it. And to me 6 secs it kinda alot. I came from the STI family too. They're 0-60 is 4.8 secs and same with his GT. I just don't wanna buy the car and think to myself "Why didn't I buy and STI or a GT or for god sakes a Toyato Corolla". I gotta lot of thinkin to do.

post #4 of 97 Old 11-27-2010, 06:52 AM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Is this thread a joke? The V6 camaro is not slow and there is no way in hell that it's ricey... It would only be ricey if you make it ricey

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #5 of 97 Old 11-27-2010, 07:27 AM

You have to come up with your own definition of fast vs slow. Then look at the V6 camaro specs and decide if it meets your criteria for fast. Don't buy a car based on being faster than some else's car. You can always put money into a car and make it faster. There will ALWAYS be someone that is faster or quicker. The V6 in the camaro is a great engine, but it doesn't mean that it meets everyones desires...which is why there is the LS3. Even the LS3 isn't enough for everyone so they throw power adders at it to get more.
I would say go test drive a V6 Camaro first. The dealer shouldn't give you a hard time about test driving a V6. Then you can judge for your self how fast it feels.
post #6 of 97 Old 11-27-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweb620 View Post
Well I was doin 150 goin to Cleveland today because my brother told me I couldn't drive a real man's car(His GT). He is always critsizing me and I hate it. And to me 6 secs it kinda alot. I came from the STI family too. They're 0-60 is 4.8 secs and same with his GT. I just don't wanna buy the car and think to myself "Why didn't I buy and STI or a GT or for god sakes a Toyato Corolla". I gotta lot of thinkin to do.
His 2002 GT is not 4.8 seconds...It's 5.5 on a good day. I've had plenty of Mustangs, and still have two outside right now, that will vouch for 5.5.

Unless his car isn't stock, in which case you can't compare a stock V6 with a modded V8.
post #7 of 97 Old 11-27-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryDomini View Post
His 2002 GT is not 4.8 seconds...It's 5.5 on a good day. I've had plenty of Mustangs, and still have two outside right now, that will vouch for 5.5.

Unless his car isn't stock, in which case you can't compare a stock V6 with a modded V8.
Yeah, 2002 Mustang GT is a mid 5 sec (on a good day) 0 - 60 mph. They're pretty similar in performance to a stock V6 Camaro.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99 A6
Bolt ons (12.10 @ 113.60 mph, 1.77 sec 60')
post #8 of 97 Old 11-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweb620 View Post
^I have been hearing lots of talk about the v6 sounding like "rice" and being "slow" and I just wanted to ask your guys' opinion. I have a brother with a 2002 Mustang GT. Is the V6 as fast as that. I really love camaro's and really wanna get one but I don't wanna get a car that is going to get me critisized and made fun of... I love muscle cars and I just wanted to ask you guys if the V6 is a true muscle car and not a "ricy sports coupe".Should I buy the V6 or wait and get a used SS. I really hope many of you reply with honest opinions. I could really use the help...

-Soon to be 2011 CGM RS(Hopefully)
Comes down to personal choice really. I'd love to have a nice V6 Convertible personally I'd buy a used one either way, Let someone else take the depreciation.
you need to decide which power train you want or can afford

Regarding the comparison of a new Camaro v6 to the 2002 Mustang v6 - no contest. The V6 Camaro power train is no slouch

IMO Rice or Ricey is a category of modification preferences. There are little to no 'ricey' vehicles right off the showroom floor

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #9 of 97 Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 AM

The v6 isnt ricey...but it is slow.

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
The other websites awsome excuse to ban me.

Username: Rodimus Prime Password: Rebecca1
post #10 of 97 Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 PM

i can prove the sound issue here...by no means is this car ricey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzois1s3Zck

as far as depreciation....i don't ever intend on getting rid of my car

and with a few additions this car is no joke when it comes to speed

2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible Auto, CGM
2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT 3.6L Manual [Production #115] Black with cyber grey stripes (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3370622) Traded 12/10/11
August 2011 MotM
-"Team LLT" representative
South Jersey Camaro Club member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page