USAA Concerns - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

USAA Concerns

This was what I posted as a last response to my other thread but felt the topic should be separated and have it's own thread (This is not a repost and picks up responding to el es ex's comments about Camaro Scotty's/GM's interpretation of USAA guidelines for the $750.00 discount):

"That's what I didn't understand, el es. It easily and freely allowed me to become a USAA member online. It didn't ask me for insurance or if my parents were members. I don't understand why they would allow you to register for a membership number. In fact, one of the questions on the USAA website specifically asked if I was in the military and I did say "no." It allowed me to proceed and was issued a membership number without a problem.

It is important to note that my father passed away last year and did not have a USAA account. Don't know if that matters or not but he was in the military for over 50 years and only bought Pontiac and Chevrolet vehicles dating all the way back to his 50's Chevrolet Bel Air. Would suck if GM dares go after my wife and I for $750.00. I bought a 2010 Camaro at MSRP with a terrible interest rate I had to fix thanks to the finance manager that was originally at Hawthorne Chevrolet. Just bought this Equinox at only $500.00 below MSRP and my mother just totalled her 2002 Malibu and now wants a new Malibu. It is about to be 3 cars in 2 years from the same dealership from my family. If GM handles this incorrectly and comes after us, they can take all 3 of these cars and shove it up their collective asses. I'm not paying a cent more if they do come after us. No way my wife and I are going to restructure our deal to permit this. I gave them $20K cash up front for the Equinox. If they want to mess with a low risk, return buyer, they will be making a monumental mistake.

Also worth noting is that when my mother bought her 2002 Malibu new, off the lot, the finance guy at D&C Chevrolet (where I bought my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC which went out of business and rightfully so) actually sold us the car with a military discount. We signed and sealed the deal and then 2 days later, the guy calls back and says that he gave us too many discounts and wanted us to return $500.00. We could have walked away and told him to screw off, but we did the honorable thing and returned the money. After this experience, I am NOT returning ANYTHING. If being honest isn't worth anything in today's day and age, than I'm going to do my best to be a dick about these kinds of things. I mean, am I wrong?

If the salesman never mentioned USAA, that didn't mean we weren't going to buy the car. He structured the deal specifically BASED on the fact we'd qualify for the discount. "All you need is to register on the USAA website and give me a copy of the membership number and that's all you need." Those were his words verbatim. We just wouldn't have gotten the sunroof and we wouldn't be having this discussion right now."

I also emailed my salesman the following statements:

Emilio,

I wanted to thank you sincerely for all of your help with getting my wife the Equinox she wanted! It was a sincere pleasure working with you. I do have a concern though. I’ve been on the Camaro forums and informed everybody how everything went down and that we were completely satisfied. I spoke to another dealer who is very well seasoned with USAA guidelines. He stated that with USAA, if I wasn’t in the military or had family members who were not in the military, GM will NOT approve the $750.00 discount that you stated we could get initially with registering with USAA. I need to know the facts about this because I don’t want to receive a phone call from Hawthorne Chevrolet or GM asking me to renegotiate the terms of our financing or agreement because they wouldn’t allow the USAA discount to take place based on the fact I wasn’t in the military or any other reason. My father served in the military (Army and National Guard) for over 50 years until his passing last year. He did not have USAA but surely if he had known about USAA, he would have taken advantage of it and offered it to me. My wife and I need your assurance that now that this deal is done and the paperwork is signed; financing in place; we will NOT be responsible to return the $750.00 should GM or Hawthorne Chevrolet change their mind after the fact at any point. I don’t ever want this to come back to haunt us at any time. If you had any doubt in your mind that GM might not approve this for any reason, you probably shouldn’t have mentioned it and my wife and I wouldn’t have been the wiser. We still would have bought the Equinox but nixed the sunroof. It wasn’t a deal-breaker but now that we’re in it this far, a reassurance from you that regardless of what Hawthorne Chevrolet and GM decide to do, my wife and I will not be responsible to give any money back. Thanks again for everything Emilio!! Please get back to me as soon as possible with the requested information. Thanks again!!

Any thoughts or responses would be appreciated. Thanks all!!

You have been banned for the following reason:
You have not shown yourself to have reformed from your previous ban, and continue to create secondary accounts. If you continue, we will prosecute using DMCA anti-hacking laws.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Last edited by DkKnightX; 12-13-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkKnightX View Post
This was what I posted as a last response to my other thread but felt the topic should be separated and have it's own thread (This is not a repost and picks up responding to el es ex's comments about Camaro Scotty's/GM's interpretation of USAA guidelines for the $750.00 discount):

"That's what I didn't understand, el es. It easily and freely allowed me to become a USAA member online. It didn't ask me for insurance or if my parents were members. I don't understand why they would allow you to register for a membership number. In fact, one of the questions on the USAA website specifically asked if I was in the military and I did say "no." It allowed me to proceed and was issued a membership number without a problem.

It is important to note that my father passed away last year and did not have a USAA account. Don't know if that matters or not but he was in the military for over 50 years and only bought Pontiac and Chevrolet vehicles dating all the way back to his 50's Chevrolet Bel Air. Would suck if GM dares go after my wife and I for $750.00. I bought a 2010 Camaro at MSRP with a terrible interest rate I had to fix thanks to the finance manager that was originally at Hawthorne Chevrolet. Just bought this Equinox at only $500.00 below MSRP and my mother just totalled her 2002 Malibu and now wants a new Malibu. It is about to be 3 cars in 2 years from the same dealership from my family. If GM handles this incorrectly and comes after us, they can take all 3 of these cars and shove it up their collective asses. I'm not paying a cent more if they do come after us. No way my wife and I are going to restructure our deal to permit this. I gave them $20K cash up front for the Equinox. If they want to mess with a low risk, return buyer, they will be making a monumental mistake.

Also worth noting is that when my mother bought her 2002 Malibu new, off the lot, the finance guy at D&C Chevrolet (where I bought my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC which went out of business and rightfully so) actually sold us the car with a military discount. We signed and sealed the deal and then 2 days later, the guy calls back and says that he gave us too many discounts and wanted us to return $500.00. We could have walked away and told him to screw off, but we did the honorable thing and returned the money. After this experience, I am NOT returning ANYTHING. If being honest isn't worth anything in today's day and age, than I'm going to do my best to be a dick about these kinds of things. I mean, am I wrong?

If the salesman never mentioned USAA, that didn't mean we weren't going to buy the car. He structured the deal specifically BASED on the fact we'd qualify for the discount. "All you need is to register on the USAA website and give me a copy of the membership number and that's all you need." Those were his words verbatim. We just wouldn't have gotten the sunroof and we wouldn't be having this discussion right now."

I also emailed my salesman the following statements:

Emilio,

I wanted to thank you sincerely for all of your help with getting my wife the Equinox she wanted! It was a sincere pleasure working with you. I do have a concern though. I’ve been on the Camaro forums and informed everybody how everything went down and that we were completely satisfied. I spoke to another dealer who is very well seasoned with USAA guidelines. He stated that with USAA, if I wasn’t in the military or had family members who were not in the military, GM will NOT approve the $750.00 discount that you stated we could get initially with registering with USAA. I need to know the facts about this because I don’t want to receive a phone call from Hawthorne Chevrolet or GM asking me to renegotiate the terms of our financing or agreement because they wouldn’t allow the USAA discount to take place based on the fact I wasn’t in the military or any other reason. My father served in the military (Army and National Guard) for over 50 years until his passing last year. He did not have USAA but surely if he had known about USAA, he would have taken advantage of it and offered it to me. My wife and I need your assurance that now that this deal is done and the paperwork is signed; financing in place; we will NOT be responsible to return the $750.00 should GM or Hawthorne Chevrolet change their mind after the fact at any point. I don’t ever want this to come back to haunt us at any time. If you had any doubt in your mind that GM might not approve this for any reason, you probably shouldn’t have mentioned it and my wife and I wouldn’t have been the wiser. We still would have bought the Equinox but nixed the sunroof. It wasn’t a deal-breaker but now that we’re in it this far, a reassurance from you that regardless of what Hawthorne Chevrolet and GM decide to do, my wife and I will not be responsible to give any money back. Thanks again for everything Emilio!! Please get back to me as soon as possible with the requested information. Thanks again!!

Any thoughts or responses would be appreciated. Thanks all!!

usaa used to be for active and retired service members and their kids only. recently they started looking for anyone who was formerly in the military.
maybe now they're open to everybody.
once you get a quote from usaa, you can get the same quote from any dealer, not just the ones on usaa's list. i had 4 different dealers matching the discount and just chose the closest one.
post #3 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 04:41 AM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Best thing to do is call USAA, and see if they will give you a full membership based on your fathers service. You may need some information from his discharge papers. My father served but never had USAA, thus I qualified only for their limited services (which didn't qualify me for the discount).

If they DO qualify you for the full benefits, they can rush you a card.

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty

post #4 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Scotty View Post
Best thing to do is call USAA, and see if they will give you a full membership based on your fathers service. You may need some information from his discharge papers. My father served but never had USAA, thus I qualified only for their limited services (which didn't qualify me for the discount).

If they DO qualify you for the full benefits, they can rush you a card.
I mean I gave the guy my membership number I received online and he seemed content with that. I registered around October 1st. Never got a card in the mail though. Does that mean anything?

You have not shown yourself to have reformed from your previous ban, and continue to create secondary accounts. If you continue, we will prosecute using DMCA anti-hacking laws.

post #5 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 05:54 AM
Support MC & Troops

Quote:
I mean I gave the guy my membership number I received online and he seemed content with that. I registered around October 1st. Never got a card in the mail though. Does that mean anything?
Email the guy back ?, ask him for the card and have him confirm your ok ?
I'd hate to see you out 750... that's a wad to replace... they should help you, IMO your dad served our country, you should benefit from it.
Good luck DkKnightX, keep us updated on what happens.

Happy holidays.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #6 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Not sure if this helps or not, but my salesman took a PDF of my membership when I logged into the USAA website.

I think once you sign the papers with the $750 discount it is the dealers problem.
post #7 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Not sure if this helps or not, but my salesman took a PDF of my membership when I logged into the USAA website.

I think once you sign the papers with the $750 discount it is the dealers problem.
Yeah, that's what I'm assuming. If the salesman gets back to me today, I'll post his response here.

My salesman had me log into USAA.com on his computer at the dealership and print out the membership information with my registration number. Even though I brought a copy with me, I still had to log in at his office.

post #8 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm assuming. If the salesman gets back to me today, I'll post his response here.
One of the things that my dealer wanted was proof of membership and it said a printout of the membership from the USAA website. I was going to do that right there, but I can't remember if the printer was down, or something. So I asked if I made a PDF and sent him via email if that would work. He said that would.
post #9 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 AM

yeah, once both of you sign and that discount is in there, the deal's done.
post #10 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 08:43 AM
ZL1 @ MSRP

It is the salesperson/dealer's responsibility to be sure that you qualify for the USAA discount. You must be eligible for USAA's Banking or Insurance services to qualify for this discount. There was a point in time last year that you could sign up for a USAA membership, just like you did at the dealership and that was enough. But that changed.

I am quite sure GM will not come after you...however that dealer will be out the $750.00.

EDITED TO ADD: "CUSTOMER MUST BE A MEMBER OF USAA AND PROVIDE DOCUMENTATION OF MEMBERSHIP (USAA MEMBERSHIP CARD, USAA LOAN DOCUMENT OR USAA AUTO INSURANCE CARD) TO QUALIFY FOR THIS OFFER."

AND: "COPY OF PROOF OF USAA MEMBERSHIP (USAA MEMBERSHIP CARD, USAA LOAN DOCUMENT OR USAA AUTO INSURANCE CARD) MUST BE RETAINED IN THE DEAL JACKET FOR AUDIT PURPOSES."

(And that dealer WILL be audited.)

Anna Bearinger
Sparta Chevrolet
616-887-1791
[email protected]

PROUD NAVY MOM

Last edited by little_bank_robber; 12-13-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page