DIY CLEAR BRA - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

DIY CLEAR BRA

Has anyone installed a clear bra on their car themselves? I was looking at invisible mask and clearmask. Looking for opinions on ease of install, quality, etc. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Dude, get a pro to do it. Unless you're one. Couple of reasons...you'll get your car back sooner most likely, and it'll be done right. Additionally, if they're worth a crap to begin with, they'll warranty their work. You'd just have to buy more pieces or another kit if you screw it up.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

i installed one on my iPhone

thats the most i'm brave enough to do. if they weren't so expensive i'm sure i woulda tried it. an easy to remove bra and blue painters tape is good enough for me on long road trips.

i've heard the 3M clear bra has A LOT of orange peel to it, and their "ScotchGuard" is better than their "VentureShield". if your going for ultimate clarity, Xpel Premium or ClearMask AeroGuard are premium films that have no orange peel so it blends in to the paint a lot more.

all clear bras are meant to be invisible, it all depends how far away do you want to look from for it to be invisible.

Invisible Mask and ClearMask are just distributors, both sell pre-cut 3M clear bra kits.

here's a good write up that shows you "value" films versus "premium" films:
http://www.paintshield.co.uk/paint-p...n-film-101.php

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 12-14-2010 at 07:32 AM.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 AM

Mine was solarguard installed from Ziebart. I had to take it back as I had a couple parts that were peeling on it.

The pros told me the camaros are very difficult to do with all the lines of the car.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Support MC & Troops

IMO this is good to know !, It's the first thing I want done to mine !
Any one, please add in any info for those who might ask, like me.

#1.Does the bra work well on the stripes, " any air pockets", along the sides of the stripes ?
#2.Can it be added to your head light/fog light covers ?
#3.Waxing around the bra, are they easy to clean up around the edges w/out lifting up ?
#4.What's the typical life of a bra ?
#5.Witch bra is going to give you the best bang for the buck & best quality.

Thanks to any one willing to help.

Happy holidays every one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #6 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhoodrat View Post

#1.Does the bra work well on the stripes, " any air pockets", along the sides of the stripes ?
They didn't put mine over the hood piece because I had stripes. I saw no air pockets.
Quote:
I read someplace that is technically illegal, you may have to DIY on that one.
Quote:
#3.Waxing around the bra, are they easy to clean up around the edges w/out lifting up ?
I've not had a problem. I may get a little white residue, but if I work at it I can clean that off.
Quote:

Mine has a 5 year warranty. I believe it cost me $400 at the dealer when I got it installed and it was Solargard and installed at Ziebart. Other than the spots the installer didn't push down that got dirt and was starting to peel (all covered under warranty), and the passenger mirror that I tore going into the garage, it has been great.

The mirror replacement I think was $15. I've driven my camaro year round, but it is garage kept, and at work I park in the parking ramp. It looks invisible, and some people notice the slight lines, but that is it. I would recommend this one to anyone!

Last edited by skuttduck; 12-14-2010 at 11:19 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Support MC & Troops

Thanks much skuttduck,
Ouch on the side mirror....
Yea, the stripes, I'd kinda like to see it, seam to seam, if not going over them.

Thanks !

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #8 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

1. NO! you do not want to lay it over the stripes. either paint the stripes on or leave the hood film off.

2. yes, most places offer them for the lights. BUT if your wanting to run HID lights in your fog light housings, the film will retain all that extra heat and melt the lens on the housing. so another trade off, either HID fogs or protective film, there can only be one!

3. waxing around it should be the same as the vinyl stripes. just lay a 1 or 2 inch wide strip of painters tape along the edge and wax the car normally. don't worry about any build up along the edge. once your done with that section use your wax applicator pad and pick up any excess build up by wiping along the edge. then when you buff the residue off the panel, be sure to wipe along the edge not against it. i sometimes use an old soft bristle tooth brush to get anything off a buffing towel can't.

4. i would guess it's the same as vinyl, 10 years. using a polish meant for clear film will help prolong that, as well as keeping a good coat of wax on the car so that the color doesn't fade when it's time to take the film off. i use Adam's Clear Polish on my vinyl stripes which was originally formulated for clear films and clear plastic. it works great!

5. i would guess the 3M films are the best bang for the buck. they're the original makers of the film. most vendors online are selling 3M film pre-cut. looking into it more, i think the ClearMask AeroGuard is the best pre-cut one you could get and do yourself.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #9 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks much skuttduck,
Ouch on the side mirror....
Yea, the stripes, I'd kinda like to see it, seam to seam, if not going over them.

Thanks !
I scraped off part of the clear guard and my RJT paint on the passenger mirror. So I had to cut it (the film) then apply my RJT touch up paint.

Which by the way I am happy to report paintscratch.com paint pens match for RJT is 100% perfect.

Glad I didn't tear the mirror off.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 01:29 PM

Here's the link to the kits for our Camaro clear bra products:http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...del=LS-1LT-2LT
it shows a headlight kit. I'm giving a go at some of the flat panels but I will let a pro apply the actual "bra".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page