Am I crazy to "settle" on a 2011 2SS/RS? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 12-26-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Am I crazy to "settle" on a 2011 2SS/RS?

Ok, maybe settle wasn't the correct word. Let me 'splain.

My long time dream car has been a 1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1. When I was 15, 2 of my older buddies had 455 GS's, and because they were so bad a$$ and fast, the first car I bought was a 1972 Skylark 350. Not the same as a GS, but it looked sort of like theirs. Not sure why i didn't try harder at the time to get a GS. Maybe limited funds with no help from my dad $ wise.

Anyway, I've recently gotten fairly serious about finding a GS, but availability is scarce and pricing on a nicely restored car is getting up there. I don't have the time, knowledge, or want to to restore one myself. The other things stopping me are these cars are 40 years old, and no matter how well restored, they are rusting as we speak. I would feel like it has to be perfect weather and roads to take it out, and would have to wash it afterwards or at least way more frequently. Would I want to really get on it, fearing breaking something and having to search for parts and fix it. I would love to have one but in reality not sure I want one.

This leads back to the Camaro. I thought this 5th gen was awesome when it first came out and still do. Two other buddies (brothers) back in the day had Camaros (68s I think), and they were bad a$$ and fast too. This 2011 car will be new, under warranty, have air bags, ABS/Brembo, rocking stereo, Bluetooth, will still be fast (enough for me), etc. etc., the list goes on and on and it is super cool like the GS was IMO. I'd feel I can take er out in almost any weather and not worry about it at all.

No, I can't buy both So, that's where "settle" came into play. What do you think, Old Dream Car or New Dream Car?

By the way, I had the Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas auction on TV while joining the site and makin this post. The auction where they sold the 2nd production (slot) 2011 Camaro Convertible for $205k. Also sold a 1970 Buick GSX 455 Stage 1 for $58k. Not sure when the actual auction was. A lot of older camaro's as well. Nice, nice old cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-26-2010, 05:45 AM

I actually know someone with a 1970 Buick GSX. He hasn't drove it in years, but I seem to recall him saying that there were only 687 of them produced.

Settling on the Buick, to me would be getting a "clone" which would still get you what you want but isn't limited by that 687 produced.

Have you had an opportunity to drive a Camaro SS to see how it feels?
post #3 of 38 Old 12-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

Garage
You only go around once in life. Get what you want.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.

post #4 of 38 Old 12-26-2010, 08:24 AM

I had a chopped 49 chevy fleetline (shell only) for almost 10 years, and finally realized I can have a cool car now (buy my Camaro) or most likely NEVER get the 49 dream car running. I found someone with the money, time and inclination to take the project on, and made room in my shop for my new Camaro.
It's for the best, I made a new car-buddy friend, the 49 will be built to its show-car potential, and I have my cool new camaro. Everybody's happy! You only live once, bird in the hand, etc. Go for the Camaro!

Last edited by heRS; 12-26-2010 at 08:31 AM.
post #5 of 38 Old 12-26-2010, 09:15 AM

Get the Camaro. I got mine in August and I still have a grin on my face. You can wrench on it if you want to, or not. For a couple of grand you can bolt on another 100 hp and run low 12's. Way faster than any of the old muscle cars. Brakes, handling, electronics and on and on and on.

2SS/RS L99 A6, RotoFab CAI, Kooks LT headers w/High Flow cats, Borla CAT back, Heritage grill, SmartMirror, ABL lighting, drilled and slotted rotors w/Hawk pads, 400 watt amp.

Life is too short to drive an ugly car.
I bought mine from Camaro Scotty!
post #6 of 38 Old 12-26-2010, 01:50 PM

I happened to watch a re-run of the Barrett-Jackson auction last night and saw the 58k GSX you're talking about. A beautiful car! That said, if you are looking for one that is nicely restored, you'll need to shell out the cash, as you noted. It's got to be your decision, but I'd go with the new Camaro. You won't be disappointed
post #7 of 38 Old 12-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Just like dconradt said, I got mine in Oct & I'm STILL SMILING as well.. Get the Camaro, U won't regret it.........

Retired US Air Force & Loving Life!!!
2012 Corvette "Centennial Edition" Coupe
2012 Grand Sport 3LT
post #8 of 38 Old 12-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

it's really not "settling"...the camaro will handle better, has all the "creature-comforts", be easier to maintain/more reliable...and unless the buick is pretty modified, the camaro will be faster. Both are cool cars, it really comes down to what YOU really want and what YOU will enjoy more.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #9 of 38 Old 12-26-2010, 02:56 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
And if you buy the Camaro in the Midwest, I can save you $$$

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #10 of 38 Old 12-26-2010, 05:09 PM

I was faced with a similar decision only it was on a 2nd or 4th gen Firebird or a 5th gen Camaro. The other difference is I have a nephew who loves to rebuild cars so all I would have to do is pay for the parts. I still went with the 5th gen for many of the reasons you stated, warranty, new tech (seat heaters rock btw) and will most likely have my nephew rebuild a 4th gen in a couple of years. Though we have also started talking about 'Vettes so we'll see what I end up paying him to rebuild.

If you don't want to get a project car and work on it yourself, get a 5th gen. You won't regret it and you will enjoy it now. You might be surprised at some point in the future to find a way to make your other dream come true as well.

Good luck

Power without control is useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page