Opinions on Kook's 3" catback system... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-27-2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Opinions on Kook's 3" catback system...

First, I'm a "keep it mostly stock" if at all possible kind of guy and value the warranty I paid for. I ran through my "mod for power" days back when I was a lot younger. But the stock exhaust is completely too tame for a car like this.

With that said, catback exhuast is one of those things like wheels...what's the real likelihood of a warranty issue being the catback? My goal is to have a nice sounding exhaust that's not hacky and loud. Mellow/deep growl is the goal.

I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices, although I haven't actually heard one of the systems in person, only on different videos.

I've actually heard a Corsa, and it sounds real good, albeit a tad raspy at times. I like the idea of no drone. However, the Kook's system sounds deep and mellow, and doesn't seem at all obnoxious. So I'm leaning in that direction. But I'm not sure about any drone issues. Haven't heard any, so I'm asking.

Opinions, good or bad, accepted here.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 AM

As you can see in my sig, I have Kooks LT 1 7/8" headers w/hi flow cats, SLP Loudmouth II axle back. I kept the stock mid pipe. It has a real low rumble and very little drone. It sounds like a muscle car should, not raspy.

Ralph's Cars

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, MN6, Victory Red, Polished Wheels,SLP Loudmouth II, Kooks LT Headers, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, Rto-Fab CAI. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq 2005 C6 Corvette,MN6, Z51, Kooks LT Headers, Corsa Exhaust, Halltech CAI. 388/rwhp 380/rwtq.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-27-2010, 02:22 PM

I have LT's and The Kooks 2.5 inch Street Sleeper exhaust. It is very nice. It gives the car just the right note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l61-lpVFWak

Keep in mind I have LT's but they still sound awsome.

Texas Speed 1 7/8 LT Headers, Texas Speed High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch Cat Back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor
My car is exactly that; No one has to like it but me!

post #4 of 15 Old 12-29-2010, 04:02 PM

Actually the KOOKS 3" is known to have drone.....but I don't think you can get the 3" system without headers. I'm pretty sure the 3" system has a 3" inlet which will not work with the factory mid-pipes.

Their 2.5" system should work though.

One other option if you don't plan to keep your factory exhaust is to go have a local muffler shop do a muffler delete for you. They typically run around $100 give or take some. If you don't like if for some reason you aren't out much money. However, the muffler delete sounds alot better than you would think. I had one until I got headers and then went with the 3" Magnaflow.

-1969 SS Convertible (real SS with factory A/C) Mariner Blue - 350/5-speed. Owned since November 1985.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/Gloss White Extended stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS | Magnaflow 3" cat-back | ADM tune (411 hp / 412 tq) | Halltech | MGW w/Race Knob | Spohn Trailing Arms | Hotchkis | TRS HID projectors | VMax ported TB
post #5 of 15 Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 PM
745RWHP, 660RWTQ

MBRP 3" cat back is the deepest sound hands down imho

BOURQUE'S HOT RODS
[email protected], 1.455 60'
Built 376ci, TH400 Trans
post #6 of 15 Old 12-29-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Actually the KOOKS 3" is known to have drone.....but I don't think you can get the 3" system without headers. I'm pretty sure the 3" system has a 3" inlet which will not work with the factory mid-pipes.
Not trying to be a smart azz here, but for the 6515 catback system, it says this:

Quote:
Kooks is excited to release this new 3" catback exhaust for the 2010 Chevy Camaro SS. This new system is mandrel bent from 3" all 304 stainless steel and fabricated to the same high quality as Kooks header systems. This system includes a high flow X-pipe and gets it unique sound with two straight through, polished, Kooks specific mufflers. They system ends with two great looking double wall 4" tips.

Note: This system does not includes cataytic converters pictured. It connects to your stock manifolds behind you factory cats, at the stock 2.5" clamp.
So I'm not sure exactly. I'm assuming it'd bolt up. There's SO many systems out there, and I haven't been able to listen to them all in person, which is what I prefer. Not really lookng to hack my current exhaust, just simply replace it with one that's mellow but has a nice, grumbly tone to it.

Thanks for the advice so far anyway, everyone. I'm keeping my options open.

post #7 of 15 Old 12-29-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
MBRP 3" cat back is the deepest sound hands down imho
I just heard some vid clips with some decent headphones...it sure DOES sound good. Doesn't sound raspy from what I can tell. I kinda hate the raspy parts of some of the exhausts. Wish I could hear them all on an actual car, though.

But one thing I CAN tell you...what's really annoying, out of over 75% of the video clips of exhausts I just watched, the mofos doing the videos are too fuggin lazy to edit out their azzes playing with the camera, then walking to the car and getting in which wastes a good 15 seconds to start the vids,...and waste another 15 seconds walking out. And with some videos running right about a minute, that's 50% of the video thrown away.

I appreciate the time for making the vid, but for cripes sake, EDIT! JMO.

post #8 of 15 Old 12-29-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

For MBRP, the 3" S7024304 shows for L99 round tips for the better 304 stainless and they come polished. About $850 is the range for the 409 stainless. It appears many places have the 304 systems for $1103.78 with free shipping. It is comparitively priced.

SLP Loudmouth IIs sound pretty good, but they're axleback. I was hoping for a complete catback setup. They have the rest of the pipes, but sold separate. Which is also about 100 bucks more total. Grrr. My goal is simply bolt on, so in the event I want to go back stock, I can do it without issue.

Option overload...I guess that's a good thing.

post #9 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 AM

Sounds like KOOKS added a 3" that will bolt up now. That wasn't the case about 3 or 4 mths ago. I don't pay as much attention to the exhaust stuff once I went to headers.

There are tons of exhaust systems out there and it is very hard to choose. One that I always thought sounded good but is a little pricey and I don't know that it can hook to factory mid-pipes yet is the one from LG Motorsports. If I could've afforded it I probably would've gone with them.

-1969 SS Convertible (real SS with factory A/C) Mariner Blue - 350/5-speed. Owned since November 1985.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/Gloss White Extended stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS | Magnaflow 3" cat-back | ADM tune (411 hp / 412 tq) | Halltech | MGW w/Race Knob | Spohn Trailing Arms | Hotchkis | TRS HID projectors | VMax ported TB
post #10 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

if your just doing a cat-back, 3 inch is not really necessary.

Borla S-type or Touring exhaust would be a good one also. not raspy like the ATAK or as loud as Corsa, but has a deep mellow tone. the S-type is louder than Touring. S-type is sometimes called sport or stinger, but all the same.

i would not recommend Magnaflow anymore to anyone.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page