just a few questions - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-10-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
callahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 41
 
just a few questions

I have decided on a new camaro as my new car this year. I like the look, and was raised in a gm household. I have done the reading driven friends rides, and saved the cash. Now here is the question i am left with. Should i wait for the z28, go with the ss, or save the cash and go with the v6 and tune and tweak and have fun loosing pounds and finding the extra horses. I am looking for opinions based on exp. with the new camaros, not baseless opinions or bored children.

Last edited by callahan; 01-10-2011 at 02:14 AM.
callahan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 AM
Senior Member
 
DkKnightX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 811
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan View Post
I have decided on a new camaro as my new car this year. I like the look, and was raised in a gm household. I have done the reading driven friends rides, and saved the cash. Now here is the question i am left with. Should i wait for the z28, go with the ss, or save the cash and go with the v6 and tune and tweak and have fun loosing pounds and finding the extra horses. I am looking for opinions based on exp. with the new camaros, not baseless opinions or bored children.
Well, if money is no object and you are willing to wait, why not wait for the Z-28?. Why even consider a V6 if you are looking for the most powerful base to start from and build/modify on that? I think you are entertaining and possibly confusing yourself with many irrational options you know right off the bat you absolutely won't consider. I think you need to refocus and refine your goals and you'll get to where you wish to be a whole hell of a lot sooner than you think! Good luck to you and welcome to !!

You have been banned for the following reason:
You have not shown yourself to have reformed from your previous ban, and continue to create secondary accounts. If you continue, we will prosecute using DMCA anti-hacking laws.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Last edited by DkKnightX; 01-10-2011 at 03:03 AM.
DkKnightX is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
callahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 41
 
Thank you.Money is not a factor, but it is hard earned, and dissapointed ss owners who wished they had waited or v6 owners who tuned and are happy, well you know, i like to learn from others mistakes, life lessons to save my wallet headakes and ensure happyness with my choices.
callahan is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
callahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 41
 
I read about a z 28 when i was a kid. 305 light weight track susp. and the article and pics burned a spot in my heart and head for a z28. I am finally in a position to get one. I would rather make my own, than be dissapointed, and bying an old one isnt an option, You know the never meet your heros thing, so most powerfull is not the whole point its that dream balance, esp. with the limitless potential of ind, suspension, thank you chevy about time

Last edited by callahan; 01-10-2011 at 03:38 AM.
callahan is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 AM
Senior Member
 
DkKnightX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 811
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan View Post
Thank you.Money is not a factor, but it is hard earned, and dissapointed ss owners who wished they had waited or v6 owners who tuned and are happy, well you know, i like to learn from others mistakes, life lessons to save my wallet headakes and ensure happyness with my choices.
Sounds like you aren't a rookie to this game, callahan. I'm sure you are already aware that regardless of whatever your starting point is, whatever platform you choose isn't ever going to be adequate enough for you. How do I know this? Probably because the sky is the limit when it comes to modding, if that is indeed your game. I also know because though I love my 2SS M6 with 426HP+, I'm still not satisfied, but I need to show restraint. I'm also NOT a gearhead. Horse power is never really as important to me as the aesthetics of my car, though it does need to have an 8 cylinder with good power to impress....just enough power. The way my car looks and the way it sounds is enough for me. I feel there is a reasonable acceptability with how far I'm willing to go with exterior modifications and that power modifications would never end if I pursued that route.

There is a great member here named Revo1, who I think is more in line with my train of thought. He has an absolutely gorgeous Generation 4 and a beautiful Generation 5 he just started working on. He did a muffler/resonator delete, and added an X-Pipe. The intrigued gear heads interpreted these changes from a performance/horsepower point of view. Me, well, let's just say the sheer sound of what was done excited me much more than any horsepower gains. Even if those changes didn't net one extra horse power, I'd still be impressed tremendously.

To each his own I suppose but like I said, it all boils down to how far you are willing to go. I'm finished chasing horsepower because that road would never end once I start. I also don't have the same resources and experience many here at Moderncamaro.com have.

You have been banned for the following reason:
You have not shown yourself to have reformed from your previous ban, and continue to create secondary accounts. If you continue, we will prosecute using DMCA anti-hacking laws.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Last edited by DkKnightX; 01-10-2011 at 03:46 AM.
DkKnightX is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
callahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 41
 
Absolutely new to the camaro game. Ive owned a 3/4 ton gmc seirra an 89 half ton seirra, a caveleer z 24, 99 monty carlo, an 04 impala, a 87 iroc z with a blown motor that i purchased to rebuild that was stolen before i started, and most recently a minivan, yes a minivan. I have multiple family members who work for general motors, and quite good with wrenches. My woman got her new trail blazer, and i got the go ahead for my dream car. Whatever my purchase i fully plan on improving, weight, susp. hp. Im 32 so while i have time to tinker, I also have children and this will be my last toy for a long time.
callahan is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 01-10-2011, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
callahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 41
 
you seem happy with your purchas and to be honest it seems that i cant find too meany dissatisfied camaro owners. But you are prob correct. Stop looking at all the choices and focus on the one i have been waiting for. the z28.
callahan is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Senior Member
 
DkKnightX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 811
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan View Post
you seem happy with your purchas and to be honest it seems that i cant find too meany dissatisfied camaro owners. But you are prob correct. Stop looking at all the choices and focus on the one i have been waiting for. the z28.
VERY satisfied as long as you don't drive it on ice. I'm not saying don't look or try different trims out. Give'em all a try and buy whatever feels right for you.

You have been banned for the following reason:
You have not shown yourself to have reformed from your previous ban, and continue to create secondary accounts. If you continue, we will prosecute using DMCA anti-hacking laws.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
DkKnightX is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
 
POWERFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 7,873
  
By reading your posts, I'd say go with an SS. THIS IS NOT A KNOCK ON THE V6s, but if you see yourself wanting more power, you're not going to get much more out of the V6 because of lack of tuning options (as of now at least). You're kinda limited to bolt-ons. With an SS, if/when you find yourself wanting more power, there's tons of options...and you don't need to spend the $50k+ that the Z/28 will run ya. The Z/28 would be an option if you have the $$ and want the "top-dog" without having to tinker with it.

Honestly, I'm really happy with my car and all the mods I have done...it's so much better than stock as it sits now. I "could" even leave it alone and not put any more $$ into it (yeah, we'll see)

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 01-10-2011 at 08:59 AM.
POWERFREAK is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Premium Member
 
Kunk1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Harker Heights, TX
Posts: 2,624
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkKnightX View Post
Sounds like you aren't a rookie to this game, callahan. I'm sure you are already aware that regardless of whatever your starting point is, whatever platform you choose isn't ever going to be adequate enough for you. How do I know this? Probably because the sky is the limit when it comes to modding, if that is indeed your game. I also know because though I love my 2SS M6 with 426HP+, I'm still not satisfied, but I need to show restraint. I'm also NOT a gearhead. Horse power is never really as important to me as the aesthetics of my car, though it does need to have an 8 cylinder with good power to impress....just enough power. The way my car looks and the way it sounds is enough for me. I feel there is a reasonable acceptability with how far I'm willing to go with exterior modifications and that power modifications would never end if I pursued that route.

There is a great member here named Revo1, who I think is more in line with my train of thought. He has an absolutely gorgeous Generation 4 and a beautiful Generation 5 he just started working on. He did a muffler/resonator delete, and added an X-Pipe. The intrigued gear heads interpreted these changes from a performance/horsepower point of view. Me, well, let's just say the sheer sound of what was done excited me much more than any horsepower gains. Even if those changes didn't net one extra horse power, I'd still be impressed tremendously.

To each his own I suppose but like I said, it all boils down to how far you are willing to go. I'm finished chasing horsepower because that road would never end once I start. I also don't have the same resources and experience many here at Moderncamaro.com have.
Very Nicely Put DkKnightX.. I think like that myself.... callahan, U have to decide what's going to make U Happy and then Go For It....


Retired US Air Force & Loving Life!!!
2012 Corvette "Centennial Edition" Coupe
2012 Grand Sport 3LT
Kunk1963 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome