**Stock vs MOD** Values - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Support MC & Troops
 
hotrodhoodrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,784
 
Question **Stock vs MOD** Values

Me and another member have a disagreement going a bought;
A stock Camaro keeps its value until its modded, then the value decreases because any mods made to the camaro makes the value of it go down.
Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe any camaro/car that gets appraised the appraiser will dock the car (reduce value) because of modded/modding parts are a personal preference.

Here's one example :A Stock 2LT(fully loaded)No mods & 1LT modded to look just like a 2LT fully loaded but not all parts are from the manufacture, witch of the 2 would be valued the most, the 2LT right ??

Please understand this is not to get this member angry if I'm right but if I'm wrong, I would & will apologize.

P.S. this could or would apply 20 years from now, right ?

Thx for the help !



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"

Last edited by hotrodhoodrat; 01-12-2011 at 07:37 AM.
hotrodhoodrat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 51 Old 01-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canton,Oh
Posts: 6,759
 
any camaro goes down in value no matter what. until the time comes that the value goes up, many years from now. depends who modded the car. it could be worth more than a stock camaro. like a lingenfelter, hennessey, berger. depends who the name is on the car. it also depends on the buyer, assuming the value is wanted because your selling it. i sold a modded trans am for WAAAYYYY more than the book said it was worth. so right now, i say if there are 2 camaros with the same miles, colors, and options, but 1 is modded a bit(s/c, suspension,wheels) the modded will bring in more money.

i have seen many modded 69 camaros, go for over 100k. and i have seen many stock 69 camaros go for over 100k. depends on what the buyer is lookign for and what the market says the car is worth. resto mods are very big right now. unless its a copo 69 camaro, or all origional never restored, resto mods are bringing the big bucks.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 01-12-2011 at 08:03 AM.
2010_5thgen is offline  
post #3 of 51 Old 01-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
 
el ess X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 3,055
  
Time will tell.

I've been buying cars for a long long time, and in my experience, there is a flavor for every person. If you want a tricked out car and don't have the skills or time to get it the way you want, then a modified car may be your thing.

Also, over long periods of time, the more original the car is to showroom stock, the more money it brings at sale time. Not always, but mostly. Think of an old classic car as if you were an artist trying to paint a picture. You tend to want to start with an original and either admire it as is, or have to deal with UN-modifying the canvas to modify it the way you want. So this takes the luster off of previously modified cars.

It really depends on what YOU want out of the car. But in generalities, an unmolested, pristine example usually fetches more than a custom job down the road. But if you buy a car as an investment, you're looking at a high percentage play against you. More often than not, things don't go the way you plan.

Remember for every permanent mod you do to a car, you reduce the pool of potential buyers that share your same exact tastes.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
el ess X is offline  
 
post #4 of 51 Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
 
Bucky6702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Alabama
Posts: 1,343
 
I would have to agree with both el ess X and 2010 5thgen. If you get time, check out some of the latest B. Jackson auctions on what cars are going for. It amazes me how much Pro-Touring cars are bringing at the auctions versus all original, unmolested car. Ten years ago, you would never have seen that!! I've watched Pro-Touring cars sell for $150,000.00 Plus, and original cars, with documentation go for much less.

The same argument could be held for people that buy brand new trucks and lift them. You would be hard pressed to find a lifted, tricked out truck sell for less than a bone stock truck. I would chalk it up as supply and demand for what people want....
Bucky6702 is offline  
post #5 of 51 Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Support MC & Troops
 
hotrodhoodrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,784
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
any camaro goes down in value no matter what. until the time comes that the value goes up, many years from now. depends who modded the car. it could be worth more than a stock camaro. like a lingenfelter, hennessey, berger. depends who the name is on the car. it also depends on the buyer, assuming the value is wanted because your selling it. i sold a modded trans am for WAAAYYYY more than the book said it was worth. so right now, i say if there are 2 camaros with the same miles, colors, and options, but 1 is modded a bit(s/c, suspension,wheels) the modded will bring in more money.

i have seen many modded 69 camaros, go for over 100k. and i have seen many stock 69 camaros go for over 100k. depends on what the buyer is lookign for and what the market says the car is worth. resto mods are very big right now. unless its a copo 69 camaro, or all origional never restored, resto mods are bringing the big bucks.
Okay + agreed but if the person doing the mods is the owner or local shop (not known, like stated above) that could bring down the value a bit (right ?), but I would like to state the mods are stock parts mostly, for example a HUD on a 2LT, Modding a 1LT with a HUD would make it less valued (right ?) than that of a 2LT if they are the same year ?
Ohh and what if you did a custom leather on a 1LT in it then sat it next to a 2LT but the 2LT had embroidery done witch would hold to be more valued ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Time will tell.

I've been buying cars for a long long time, and in my experience, there is a flavor for every person. If you want a tricked out car and don't have the skills or time to get it the way you want, then a modified car may be your thing.

Also, over long periods of time, the more original the car is to showroom stock, the more money it brings at sale time. Not always, but mostly. Think of an old classic car as if you were an artist trying to paint a picture. You tend to want to start with an original and either admire it as is, or have to deal with UN-modifying the canvas to modify it the way you want. So this takes the luster off of previously modified cars.

It really depends on what YOU want out of the car. But in generalities, an unmolested, pristine example usually fetches more than a custom job down the road. But if you buy a car as an investment, you're looking at a high percentage play against you. More often than not, things don't go the way you plan.

Remember for every permanent mod you do to a car, you reduce the pool of potential buyers that share your same exact tastes.
Agreed & thx !



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
hotrodhoodrat is offline  
post #6 of 51 Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
 
el ess X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 3,055
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky6731 View Post
It amazes me how much Pro-Touring cars are bringing at the auctions versus all original, unmolested car. Ten years ago, you would never have seen that!!
And 10 years from now, the pro touring might be "out". If someone found and modified an original to pro touring specs today, then that's a modern modification because that's what's in demand at the moment. But, with the mods someone might have made in 1970 to their then-new 69 Camaro, if they're still on the car today, likely won't be bringing the same amount of money as an unmolested original in the same condition. Again, depends on the mods, and the car's history. I mean, if you got an old "grumpy's toy" car, then it definintely would be worth some coin in modified status.

I'd be interested to see into the future as to what some of the folks here consider cool mods might seem like in the year 2045 or something. ("whut? you mean your car can't fly? So last decade.... )

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
el ess X is offline  
post #7 of 51 Old 01-12-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Support MC & Troops
 
hotrodhoodrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,784
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
And 10 years from now, the pro touring might be "out". If someone found and modified an original to pro touring specs today, then that's a modern modification because that's what's in demand at the moment. But, with the mods someone might have made in 1970 to their then-new 69 Camaro, if they're still on the car today, likely won't be bringing the same amount of money as an unmolested original in the same condition. Again, depends on the mods, and the car's history. I mean, if you got an old "grumpy's toy" car, then it definintely would be worth some coin in modified status.

I'd be interested to see into the future as to what some of the folks here consider cool mods might seem like in the year 2045 or something. ("whut? you mean your car can't fly? So last decade.... )
So true, + 1

What if a guy took a common 69 Camaro and Modded/cloned it to be a Baldwin Motion SS/RS and wanted the price of a real one. would he get it ?



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
hotrodhoodrat is offline  
post #8 of 51 Old 01-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
 
el ess X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 3,055
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhoodrat View Post
So true, + 1

What if a guy took a common 69 Camaro and Modded/cloned it to be a Baldwin Motion SS/RS and wanted the price of a real one. would he get it ?
All it would take is one idiot that didn't ask for a pedigree to pay the asking price. Then it would be "yes". But any hard core collector with that kind of dough usually knows what to look for. So I'd say...probably not.

You just never can tell. It's almost like playing the stock market without inside information. I think it's been mentioned here plenty of times-- It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Nothing more, nothing less.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
el ess X is offline  
post #9 of 51 Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,818
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
any camaro goes down in value no matter what. until the time comes that the value goes up, many years from now. depends who modded the car. it could be worth more than a stock camaro. like a lingenfelter, hennessey, berger. depends who the name is on the car. it also depends on the buyer, assuming the value is wanted because your selling it. i sold a modded trans am for WAAAYYYY more than the book said it was worth. so right now, i say if there are 2 camaros with the same miles, colors, and options, but 1 is modded a bit(s/c, suspension,wheels) the modded will bring in more money.

i have seen many modded 69 camaros, go for over 100k. and i have seen many stock 69 camaros go for over 100k. depends on what the buyer is lookign for and what the market says the car is worth. resto mods are very big right now. unless its a copo 69 camaro, or all origional never restored, resto mods are bringing the big bucks.


I agree
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline  
post #10 of 51 Old 01-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canton,Oh
Posts: 6,759
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhoodrat View Post
Okay + agreed but if the person doing the mods is the owner or local shop (not known, like stated above) that could bring down the value a bit (right ?), but I would like to state the mods are stock parts mostly, for example a HUD on a 2LT, Modding a 1LT with a HUD would make it less valued (right ?) than that of a 2LT if they are the same year ?
Ohh and what if you did a custom leather on a 1LT in it then sat it next to a 2LT but the 2LT had embroidery done witch would hold to be more valued ?



Agreed & thx !
no, if its the owner, like myself, it wouldnt effect the value negatively. liek i said i got well over blue book value on my 99 trans am and it was supercharged, NOS, full suspension. any money put into the car in a way, will help the value. but whether or not you getthat money back is a different story. i can throw a blower on a car worth 35k and sell it for 42k. but it does depend on finding that person that will buy the car. i bet that if i were to sell my car, i could get **** near cloe to every penny that i put into it...parts wise. not labor.

those mods on a 1lt would not make it worth any less. if anything they would help it. with leather and HUD. i think it would make the car more appealing.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
2010_5thgen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome