Looking for expert opinion - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Looking for expert opinion

Hi Guys,

First time here - I am thinking about buying a Camaro SS but need some opinions for people who actually drive the car!

Let me start off with my current situation...I live in Manhattan and drive to work in Jersey everyday. Its about 40 miles each way and a combination of 30 minutes of traffic (stop and go pretty much) and the rest I can usually cruise between 60 and 80mph (each way - so about 60minutes or so daily in stop and go traffic, sometimes more). Currently I drive a 2010 hatchback Mazda 3. I also park on the street in NYC, which means parallel parking daily and dealing with lapping my block in basically stop and go traffic for sometimes 10 seconds or sometimes 30 minutes everyday - while dodging cabs and pedestrians (having to stop at intersections to make a left while pedestrians cross the street, and then roll forward onto the next street while making a left).

So here is my debate...I found 2, 2011 2SS models. Near identical (links at the bottom) - low miles, same options, etc. One is standard and 1 is auto. For the longest time I've been of the belief that if you get a sports car, get it in stick. Now, lets forgo the idea that getting a Camaro or any sports car in this situation is illogical. Based on your knowledge of the cars, how they shift, etc which do you think would be a better idea. I know it all comes down to me and how I feel I can handle it, but I was just hoping to get some thoughts or opinions! Thanks in advance!

Automatic:
2011 Chevrolet Camaro for sale in New Rochelle - 2G1FK1EJ8B9113644 – New Rochelle Chevrolet

Standard:
2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, $28,900 - Cars.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Get what YOU want. You'll get many differing (and stubborn) opinions here on this subject.
In the end, it's YOUR car.

I am not giving you my opinion on auto/TAPshift vs. manual. It's YOUR decision

That said, with the Auto, you've got TAPshift whenever you want as well, so you get both.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.

Last edited by patriotpa; 10-22-2011 at 03:49 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Like I said, I know it ultimately is my call. I am really looking to see what people think of the Camaro in traffic. My buddy with an s2k says traffic is fine, never bothers him since the clutch is a dream. On the other hand, my friend with a 350z can't stand traffic for more than 20 minutes since their calf becomes sore from dealing with that rocket of a clutch pedal.

post #4 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Well here's mu .02 worth... Yes it's Ur Call... I have a 2SS/RS A6, I'm older and most of my driving is in city so yes a lot of stop & go so that was part of the main reason for getting the A6.... Yes the M6 is a lot more fun to drive when really getting on it etc.... I would Recommend if U can financially, Keep ur Mazda 3 for Work and get the which ever Camaro U really Like & want for Ur Fun Driving!!!!! Hope that helps a Lil Bit!!!!!!

Retired US Air Force & Loving Life!!!
2012 Corvette "Centennial Edition" Coupe
2012 Grand Sport 3LT
post #5 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 12:44 PM
ZL1 @ MSRP

Hmmmm...that's a tough one.

I got a manual transmission cause they're fun to drive! I do not think it would be a lot of fun in that kind of traffic though.

I drive around 50 miles a day to and from work and I drive mostly all highway. I think I only have 5 or 6 stops each way. So...the clutch and transmission are easy to use in my Camaro. Shifting is second nature, but I think if I had to drive in the kind of traffic you drive in I'd get the automatic.

Whichever you choose, you'll love it! Of this I am sure.

Anna

Anna Bearinger
Sparta Chevrolet
616-887-1791
[email protected]

PROUD NAVY MOM
post #6 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 03:38 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
Many folks like automatics for lots of stop and go, in town traffic.
I'm more concerned about parking a Camaro along the street!!
Get what makes you happy.

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
post #7 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 04:02 PM

Garage
My commute is 45 miles each way. Traffic for my drive can be a bit rough. Therefore I went with the automatic. I don't bother with the tapshift except for on the rare occasion. I got the V6 but even at my reserved driving style I average 23 MPG.
MY reasons for the V6 car are... less initial purchase price, regular fuel, softer suspension for a daily driver, tires cost less to replace, brakes will cost less when I wear them out, and less to insure. Basically I'm cheap but wanted a Camaro Convertible. I did get the 2LT as the heated seats extend the top down driving season. It is my daily driver. However I do have a AWD Traverse for the bad weather.

My main concern would be the parking. The Camaro is a large car and you may not squeeze into the spots you are used to.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 AM
ユキヒョウ

I had lived in the NJ/NYC metro area for 26 yrs and have dealt with the traffic (in the city, NJ tpk, LIE, etc) and parking issues you described, and I've had manual and automatic sports cars. And I'm sure the driving mess has not gotten any better since I left. I also lived in the DC area for a while and that nighmare of a commute and I had a 96 'vette w/manual and wished I had gotten an automatic. For extended daily stop/go traffic and parallel parking, I would recommend going with the automatic, that's just my .02. Whichever way you decide, it'll be a blast either way.

2019 1SS/1LE
post #9 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 AM

Get what you want. If you do not mind the constant clutching then go with a manual but like everyone is saying it is what you want. In the end you will only be happy with what you want anyway.

2011 2SS CGM/IO Convertible - MySSt
post #10 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 05:22 PM

I love my A6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page