Manual or Auto Transmission? Need some Advice - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-21-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Question Manual or Auto Transmission? Need some Advice

hey guys

Im getting my california license soon and my dad is gonna buy me a car, i told him about the camaro so hopefully i'll get one. However i didnt drive any manual transimission in my life, i can shift gears in video games arcade on manual but never tried in real life and im gonna drive it on a daily basis, should i get the manual or auto? i have been driving mazda sedan in my home country for a year so this would be a huge upgrade, im fine with driving an auto but sometimes i think driving a camaro with manual is gonna be fun to get the muscle out of this car, but when i think about getting into traffic and commuting with it i change my mind.

any advice?

BTW im a foreign student
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-21-2011, 05:42 PM

do you want to point the car and steer it.or do you want to DRIVE it ? suppose it all depends on your requirements(daily drive,etc.). i think you know what tranny i have in my 2SS !!!
post #3 of 17 Old 12-21-2011, 05:48 PM
ユキヒョウ

Welcome to

What part of California? If you're going to be in a lot of stop/go traffic on a daily basis I'd say get an automatic. As for a manual, I would say learn and get the experience on a beater car before upgrading to the Camaro (or any new car). Yes you could learn on a camaro, but ....

2019 1SS/1LE

Last edited by Nancygrl; 12-21-2011 at 05:52 PM.

post #4 of 17 Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancygrl View Post
Welcome to

What part of California? If you're going to be in a lot of stop/go traffic on a daily basis I'd say get an automatic. As for a manual, I would say learn and get the experience on a beater car before upgrading to the Camaro (or any new car). Yes you could learn on a camaro, but ....
I agree....Get you a beater to start with.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #5 of 17 Old 12-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Freak View Post
I agree....Get you a beater to start with.
Totally agree, I learned in an old beater and that saved me a lot of wear and tear. With a new car camaro or other wise it a lot more cash to replace if its the owners fault due to damage. I have the auto and love it one plus depending on who you talk to is I dont ricky race it, If I had the manuel I would... Just me 2 cents...

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Support MC & Troops

Get a beater for manual to start

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #7 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancygrl View Post
Welcome to

in Los angeles

how many days it took you guys to learn driving stick on a beater? and where should i start practicing?

im thinking of an old honda civic to start with

do you think taking lessons from an instructor would be worth it?
post #8 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 AM
ユキヒョウ

Getting the basics down, shouldn't take too long. But to get to the point where it becomes second nature is a different story, and everyone is different. You could take driving lessons, but there's no substitute for seat time.

2019 1SS/1LE
post #9 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabtree13 View Post
do you want to point the car and steer it.or do you want to DRIVE it ? suppose it all depends on your requirements(daily drive,etc.). i think you know what tranny i have in my 2SS !!!
I see that you live in Plymouth. If I lived in Plymouth I would have a manual. I live in Boston, I have an A6 (no regrets). I am not going to press a clutch in a couple of hundred times to get to work. When I want to shift, I have a Harley Streetglide. In my humble opinion, it would depend on where I lived. I have had many stick shift cars. Shifting gets old fast in downtown Boston traffic.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Welcome to !

My Avalanche is auto and I love it. My Camaro is manual and I LOVE it. For that kind of car, I only wanted a manual. I have had both for over 20 years of my driving life and still love a manual. It can be a pain in traffic, but it is still worth it.

11/26/2010 - (1100) Order Placed at Dealership
01/04/2011 - (3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered and production process is underway.
02/09/2011 - (3400) Order Broadcast (Internal Plant Paperwork Order Produced)
02/15/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping. VIN # 162679
03/05/2011 - (5000) Delivered to me - thanks Eric!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page