1st to 4th gear message - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

1st to 4th gear message

Not sure why i sometimes cannot go from 1st gear to second, i get a error that shows the shift from 1st to 4th instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlutterb View Post
Not sure why i sometimes cannot go from 1st gear to second, i get a error that shows the shift from 1st to 4th instead?
That is called CAGS.......You can have a skip-shift eliminator installed or you can tune it out. It is designed to help with gas mileage , but is very frustrating. I had my car tuned and am very happy that I did...
post #3 of 23 Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 AM

skip shift cable here A little cheaper @29-32 dollars

2010 Camaro's are GM's best idea yet!!!!
2SS/RS Black on Black, M6 Sunroof
2012 Summit White ZL1, M6, Sunroof
"Thank you Champion Chevrolet!!!!" #1588[

post #4 of 23 Old 01-02-2012, 07:55 PM
ユキヒョウ

There's nothing wrong with your car. That isn't an error message, 1st to 4th is know as skip shift. As already mentioned you can get a skip shift eliminator. Check with one of our sponsors here, Apex Chase. Here's the link for it. 2010 Camaro Skip Shift Eliminator 8001

2019 1SS/1LE
post #5 of 23 Old 01-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn29 View Post
That is called CAGS.......You can have a skip-shift eliminator installed or you can tune it out. It is designed to help with gas mileage , but is very frustrating. I had my car tuned and am very happy that I did...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancygrl View Post
There's nothing wrong with your car. That isn't an error message, 1st to 4th is know as skip shift. As already mentioned you can get a skip shift eliminator. Check with one of our sponsors here, Apex Chase. Here's the link for it. 2010 Camaro Skip Shift Eliminator 8001

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #6 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

I looked online and cannot find installation instructions. Is this difficult to install. I a have read says it is not, but I'd like to understand what I'm getting into before I order it. For referenct, I installed the 4guage pack very easily. How does installing this skip shift compare to that.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
ユキヒョウ

There's not gonna be much of a write up. You unplug the CAGS plug install the eliminator between the factory plug and the solenoid. That's it.

This is right from Apex Motorsports

CAGS, or Computer-Aided Gear Selection, is a feature on the 5th generation Camaro SS equipped with the manual 6 speed transmission. The stated purpose of CAGS is to improve fuel economy under “normal” driving conditions and is activated when:

● the transmission is in 1st gear
● you are applying 21% throttle or less
● the vehicle is traveling between 15 and 19 mph
● engine coolant temperature is greater than 169 F (76 C)

When these parameters are met, CAGS overrides the driver and locks out 2nd gear, forcing the driver to "skip shift". Most serious drivers are unwilling to accept this factory installed nuisance and eliminating it is priority number one. The safest way to eliminate CAGS is by installing a Skip Shift Eliminator.

The Apex Motorsports Skip Shift Eliminator uses OEM weather-proof plugs and is installed by simply lifting your vehicle, unplugging the CAGS wiring harness from its solenoid (the solenoid is located on the drivers side towards the top of the transmission), and plugging the Skip Shift Eliminator inline between the harness and solenoid. These units trick the CAGS into thinking it's still in control but will not allow it to activate and will not trigger trouble codes or the “Service” light on your dash board.

2019 1SS/1LE

Last edited by Nancygrl; 01-15-2012 at 03:08 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 PM

Next to tranny............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corvette%20cags%20defeat.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	12492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corvette%20Skip%20shift%20pictures.jpg
Views:	1027
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	12493  
post #9 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Just a question....

Apparently the ZL1 will have a dreaded RPO of R8E, or a gas-guzzler tax. Would there be any reason to have CAGS on it then?

I'm asking simply because I don't know, and never heard anyone ask. I'm assuming they'll have it just becuase nobody in GM engineering probably thought to not have it, but there's really no need for it in the ZL1, IMO.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 01:33 PM

GM has been using CAGS since the early '90's. The eliminator is your best bang for your dollar, though the DIC will still display the skip-shift message, you may shift at will.

As for the ZL1, I'd bet it will have CAGS enabled just as both the Z06 and ZR1 do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page