Do CAIs void warranty? or remove before dealer service? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
amz

Do CAIs void warranty? or remove before dealer service?

I am looking at a CAI unit , an Air Raid , and wanted to know if the dealership will frown upon it when I take it in for regular service.
If so , I would like to choose one with uninstalls and reinstalls fairly easily.

Is there one that will not void the warranty , say from GMPP? and is it any good?

See, I don't usually mess about with such things , but it seems like an easy cheap mod that wont cost a ton of money , and hopefully won't throw codes and check engine lights etc.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amz View Post
I am looking at a CAI unit , an Air Raid , and wanted to know if the dealership will frown upon it when I take it in for regular service.
If so , I would like to choose one with uninstalls and reinstalls fairly easily.

Is there one that will not void the warranty , say from GMPP? and is it any good?

See, I don't usually mess about with such things , but it seems like an easy cheap mod that wont cost a ton of money , and hopefully won't throw codes and check engine lights etc.

Any advice is appreciated.

I have an Araid CAI and a Magnaflow CAT back exhaust and no dealer has ever looked at me with an arched eyebrow when I have gone in for service.

That being said, all you really need to do is have documentation of the "regular service" such as oil (all 3 oils... motor, tranny (M6) and 3rd member ) which is about the only servicing I have done on my Camaro. I have mine changed at a Jiffy Lube (ONLY oil and filter and other fluids) or whatever is close and they change the filter and oil and give you a receipt. You don't need to have regular service done at a dealership unless that is your choice.

I went full synthetic immediately after the vehicle break in time.

2 cents

DJ

2010 1LT
3M Clear Nose Bra
Leather Seat Covers
4 Pack Console Gauges
Airaid CAI - Magnaflow CAT Back
OEM GFX
post #3 of 32 Old 02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

It would only effect the warranty if the part caused an issue. Example would be if a piece of plastic broke off and got sucked into the throttle body.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #4 of 32 Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Your best bet is to be up-front with your dealer.

Honesty always works best.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
I have the Airaid and a whole lot of other stuff and my dealership loves to arch their eyebrow every time I come in...lol...but they still work on my car because I don't take "no" for an answer....and they're kinda scared of me now!

That being said...don't bother installing and uninstalling any CAI. And all that crap you hear about tuning and reflashing your ECM before taking your car to a dealership's service department is a waste of time too. Because GM will require that the dealership scan your ECM for any MAJOR warranty work and they will be able to see ANYTHING that has been recorded by it. People seem to think that a tune can restore it to it's original tune...which it can...but ANY and ALL changes are logged as a permanent record for the dealership and GM to examine.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-04-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
amz

No tune done, but god only knows what happens when I visit the local speed shop next week.

I really want to know if the CAIs will throw codes and check engine lights.
post #7 of 32 Old 02-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amz View Post
No tune done, but god only knows what happens when I visit the local speed shop next week.

I really want to know if the CAIs will throw codes and check engine lights.
The K&N has been known to throw codes (sometimes)...but I haven't heard of any other CAI doing so. I have the Airaid and several other people I know do too and there have been no codes thrown in association with the CAI installation.

And my point about the install/uninstall is that your ECM will KNOW that you had a different CAI installed so there is no reason to remove it to take your car to the dealership...you're not going to fool them on a major warranty issue and they don't generally care for a minor issue.

Last edited by Envy; 02-04-2012 at 02:16 PM.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-04-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
amz

How is the ECM going to record that I had a different CAI?

I seriously doubt that.
post #9 of 32 Old 02-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Okay...you're right.
post #10 of 32 Old 02-04-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
amz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
Okay...you're right.
not meant to be rude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page