Retro name insulting, but the look can work wonders - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

Retro name insulting, but the look can work wonders

BY MARK PHELAN
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

May 28, 2006

Let's kill retro.

Not the look, the word -- or at least its negative connotations. The critics sneered "retro" at the Chevrolet Camaro concept I drove two weeks ago, as if the word alone is enough to dismiss the car.

Yeah, retro like a Porsche 911.

Some designs work so well that the best thing you can do over time is refine them. Levi Strauss got it right in 1873 when he patented the idea of denim pants with copper rivets to reinforce the stress points.

The company he founded sells everything from dress shoes to eyeglass frames today, but Levi himself would recognize a pair of its blue jeans.

Car designers hate the word retro, because it suggests all they've done is put tracing paper over somebody else's work.

The best retro designs do much more than that. They take the essence of a car's appeal and bring it forward, incorporating new technology and ideas to improve on the original.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 06:39 AM

Garage
the camaro definately does that!
post #3 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 06:54 AM

I still don't think the Camaro is retro. It is retro inspired, yes, but the car isn't "retro" as a whole. The other concept, the one that lost out to the one they actually showed, was absolutely retro in that it looked like a '69 the way the new Challenger looks exactly like a moderized '70 Challenger.

The Camaro has its own lines, though it shares some general ideas with the original. But hey, all Camaros have shared traits through the years. This one does go back to the original formula moreso than any other, but its still not "retro".

post #4 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 06:56 AM

Garage
true very true!
post #5 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 09:25 AM

I talked with Scott quite a bit this past weekend. One word that he loved to use was "Heritage" as opposed to "Retro".
post #6 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Supporting Member

IMO, no matter which way you slice it, "heritage", "retro-inspired",etc are all euphamisms for what the car really is...retro. The retro fad has been around for several years now and has been pretty successful. I would categorize cars like VW Beetle, PT Crusier, HHR, Mustang, etc as obvious retro stlyled as well. I mean how old is the PT Crusier? Almost 10 years I think.

My point is, how long will it last? When the new Camaro comes out, will the fad be fading or worse, gone. Honestly, this concept should have come out 3 years ago at the end of the last generation Camaro. We should be driving this car now and it should be ready for a redesign 3-4 years from now. I guess I'm a little pessimistic because I know how long it takes GM to refresh products. They seem to always design concept cars to compete with current production vehicles rather than future vehicles.

I still think the concept is beautiful and, yes, I will buy one when they finally come out. However, it is clearly not an evolved design from the last gen as all the other generations have been. It's more like pushing the reset button. Will the next generation look similar to a 70-73?
post #7 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdesign
Honestly, this concept should have come out 3 years ago at the end of the last generation Camaro. We should be driving this car now and it should be ready for a redesign 3-4 years from now.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I still think the concept is beautiful and, yes, I will buy one when they finally come out. However, it is clearly not an evolved design from the last gen as all the other generations have been. It's more like pushing the reset button. Will the next generation look similar to a 70-73?
I honestly hope Gen6 doesn't look like the 70-73. Aside from the Gen3 - Gen4 transition, there really hasn't been a true evolution in the Camaro lines. Yeah, if you park examples of each side by side in order, you know they're Camaros but only because you're a Camaro nut. If you park a Gen4 next to a Gen1, you're hard pressed to find many common elements. That kind of disgusts me.

On the other hand, if you do the same with the fullsize Chevy trucks from '67 on and you include the mid-cycle refreshenings, you can honestly see a better progression towards what we have today. The Corvettes since the StingRay ('69-'70?) are the same way. Evolution, not revolution. That's the way it should be IMO. Gen6 should build off of Gen5 IMHO.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
IMO, no matter which way you slice it, "heritage", "retro-inspired",etc are all euphamisms for what the car really is...retro. The retro fad has been around for several years now and has been pretty successful. I would categorize cars like VW Beetle, PT Crusier, HHR, Mustang, etc as obvious retro stlyled as well. I mean how old is the PT Crusier? Almost 10 years I think.
I agree, call it what you want, it is a retro design. While the Camaro does not look as much like a 69 as the Challenger looks like the old version, the ideas behind it are the same.

Done right, it can work. Ford is King with their designs on the Thunderbird and the Mustang IMO.

Quote:
My point is, how long will it last? When the new Camaro comes out, will the fad be fading or worse, gone. Honestly, this concept should have come out 3 years ago at the end of the last generation Camaro. We should be driving this car now and it should be ready for a redesign 3-4 years from now. I guess I'm a little pessimistic because I know how long it takes GM to refresh products. They seem to always design concept cars to compete with current production vehicles rather than future vehicles.

GM does have a history of waiting 10 years or so to redesign vehicles. maybe it is close to other manufacturers but it seems too long for some reason.
I don't forsee another retro Camaro after this one, no other generation of the Camaro has such a passionate following as the 67-69 cars

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #10 of 18 Old 06-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious
I agree, call it what you want, it is a retro design. While the Camaro does not look as much like a 69 as the Challenger looks like the old version, the ideas behind it are the same.

GM does have a history of waiting 10 years or so to redesign vehicles. maybe it is close to other manufacturers but it seems too long for some reason.
I don't forsee another retro Camaro after this one, no other generation of the Camaro has such a passionate following as the 67-69 cars
The Challenger is blatantly identical to the 70 with some smooth edges and more modern grill insert. I liked the Charger concept from a few years ago better. Who knows why they went for the blocky fridge look it ended up as.

69 is almost unanamously understood as the "iconic" Camaro image. I think taking SOME styling cues is a no-brainer but I think it needs a lot of refinement. It's almost too musclecar and not enough sports car. Afterall, it needs to appeal to people who are not familiar with or care about the heritage in order to keep sales numbers high enough to justify it's existence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page