Upgrades.... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Upgrades....

Want to give a shout out to Jordan @ JDP & show off my latest upgrades I just installed.

First off, a big thanks to Jordan for the awesome deals he does!! Plus his customer service is second to none and is what keeps me coming back. He went above and beyond to give me peace of mind when ordering the Spohn forged AL front control arm set. I had read only one post about them but it was enough to give me concerns...

Pics of them and the radiator are at the end of the post.

The install for the arms was straight forward. A little tough to break the taper at the ball joints when removing the stockers but nothing I hadn't run into before in my years wrenching. You can either rent/buy a pickle fork tool for breaking the taper or simply use a hammer and strike the knuckle right where the taper is.

As for the initial concern about the arms. I had read a post elsewhere in which it was stated that after installation and when getting the car aligned, the caster was reduced to zero! This would be a big deal as there is no built in caster adjustment on our cars. Well I am happy to say that I had no such issue. My caster was EXACTLY as it was before install (6.4 degrees positive). I was busy directing my alignment guy to not touch my camber etc that I forgot to take pics of them on the car...

Spohn isn't lying when he says these things are light. 13lbs lighter!! I almost broke my toe when removing the first stock radius arm thinking I had a good hold on it. It was so heavy and the angle at which I had it held couldn't stop it from hitting the ground (no lift for me! ) just missing my foot.

On to the radiator!! My stock radiator cap had actually come apart on me when checking the level a month or so previous. The top separated and came off but the guts of the cap were stuck in the radiator. Car was driveable if I put the top part back on so I told myself one day I would use it as an excuse to replace the radiator with something special if a deal presented itself. Enter Jordan @ JDP and a CSF full aluminum 4-core radiator with "B Tube" technology!!

This install was a *****. I chock it up to the fact I have a heat exchanger for my SC fastened to my AC condenser that added weight and reduced movement. Plus there are "tanks" at either end of the AC condenser that double as "mounts" that slide into receivers at the bottom of the radiator. These are coolers for the power steering. They protruded so far through the lower rad guides it was a pure ***** to lift the condenser/heat exchanger assembly high enough and forward enough while wrangling the radiator out of the way!!

After a few choice words (OK, more than a few ) and a brief break (so I didn't break anything on the car!) I wrangled it out and got the new one installed. I had to unbolt the mounting brackets for the PS cooler line on the passenger side to get more slack to allow more movement but other than that it was straight forward:

1. Disconnect fan assy wiring coupler near fuse box, unbolt and remove
2. Remove top mounting brackets on rad
3. Disconnect hoses and drain radiator
4. Unbolt AC condenser-to-rad top bolts
5. Disconnect trans cooler lines (remove quick clips and pull and have some caps handy to stop fluid loss/mess)
6. Wrangle the bastard out...

Reverse steps to re-install....

The car runs about 10 degrees cooler when moving and does not have temp rise when stopped with the new radiator. I have my fans programmed as part of my tune to come as soon as possible to pull air across the SC heat exchanger and aide in cooling. Even with this the car would rise to 200 with the hood closed and not moving for about 10 mins. Now it stays at 185. Trans fluid and oil temps are down about 10 degrees!

Pics as promised:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0004.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	13302   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0007.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	13303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	13304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	13305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0012.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	13306  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0013.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	13307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0015.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	13308  

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 AM

SSSWWWEEEEETTTTT!!

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #3 of 12 Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

post #4 of 12 Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Nice

2012 ZL1 sn 1691 Black 6mt
post #5 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 PM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Is there a big difference in handling with the new arms? Or is this purely for weight reduction?

Glad to see the new radiator is working well, looks great too

Chevy Camaro http://www.carid.com/chevy-camaro-accessories/

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
post #6 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARiD View Post
Is there a big difference in handling with the new arms? Or is this purely for weight reduction?

Glad to see the new radiator is working well, looks great too
I was drawn to them for the weight reduction/poly bushings but yes, there is a big handling difference on three fronts.

1. The suspension action is much improved and I can run less damping which "livens things up".

2. It finally "tracks" precisely with the 10x20" wheels and 275/40 tires up front

3. Steering response is finally crisp enough to satisfy me!

I see the weight of the arms as being responsible in improving suspension action and the poly bushings in the arms being responsible for eliminating the deflection that was allowing the wider tire/wheel assemblies to move around over rough/uneven road surfaces.

Still need to get it to my fav twisty spot for a really hard thrashing but it has passed everything else I have thrown at it so far (and we've got some wacky roads here ).

Chuck
MyCamaroBuildInfo

post #7 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Just read through your build info Anything left on your suspension list?

post #8 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARiD View Post
Just read through your build info Anything left on your suspension list?
Thanks! At some point I may address the upper rear arm bushings. But that will require dropping the cradle completely which I am not sure I wanna do in my garage without a lift. It would also make me wanna do the cradle bushings and diff bushings at the same time so that is one hell of a project to get my head around....

Chuck
MyCamaroBuildInfo

post #9 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Thanks! At some point I may address the upper rear arm bushings. But that will require dropping the cradle completely which I am not sure I wanna do in my garage without a lift. It would also make me wanna do the cradle bushings and diff bushings at the same time so that is one hell of a project to get my head around....
yea that would be quite a job - I agree that doing it all at once is the way to go though. Drop the cradle once and be done with it. I've dropped live axles in driveways before - but would be hesitant with the Camaro's rear without a lift as well.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 07:24 AM
ユキヒョウ

Looks good Chuck...Liking the maggie sitting on top....

2019 1SS/1LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page