6th Gen Camaro in 2015? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

6th Gen Camaro in 2015?

I've been wondering how long GM would keep the current body style & configuration before doing a refresh. I love the looks but have felt it was oversized since day one, most comparisons and reviews indicate the Camaro's exterior is more "plus size" than right size like the Mustang.

Stumbled across this article which mentions the Camaro moving to a new "Zeta II" chasis which is lighter & smaller and used by the new Cadillac ATS and next gen CTS. Chevrolet SuperSport Sedan Coming in 2013, Wagon and Ute Body Styles Possible for Next Gen on Zeta II

I'm pretty stoked. Makes sense when you consider the upcoming C7 Vette is rumored to have a reduced displacement direct injection V8 somewhere around 5.5L down from the current 6.2L LS3. Stands to reason the Camaro would also share the downsized powerplant so a substantial weight reduction would be nice also.

My old 4th gen Camaro with LS1 weighed about 3500 lbs with power windows & seat options. Current 5th gen, comparably equipped weighs about 4,000 lbs? Getting that weight back down near 3500 lbs would make it much better handling, braking & acceleration, all other things being equal. The new ATS looks to be a great performer and should only weigh about 3400 lbs for a nicely optioned sedan. I'm just curious how drastic the redesign might be for 2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 AM
See You On Course

They need to be VERY careful on the redesign. If they dumb it down, like most car companies do in subsequent versions (look at the new Charger vs. the original), then they will lose some sales. I for one, bought the Camaro over the Mustang because the design is my favorite. I sacrificed extra weight and supposedly not-as-good handling in the autocross world for this beautiful car.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #3 of 8 Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

I don't think they'll dumb it down and I think the current Charger is a huge improvement over the original. I think the refresh that the 4th gen Camaro got in '98 when they transitioned from LT1 to LS1 and a few other changes to the front end worked nicely.

Having said that, this sounds like it would be a bigger transition as it's going to include a new powerplant and new chassis altogether. Sure would be nice if someone in the know could chime in on the time frame for this.

Last edited by shudog; 05-22-2012 at 12:50 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 AM

Actually I heard the 6th Gen would be a 2016 model....

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Seems to actually be old news I guess. Googling "6th Gen Camaro" turns up all sorts of news. Some good stuff at the "GMInsidenews" Model Year 2016, probably available late summer of 2015.

Confirmed: 6th gen Camaro for MY 2016.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM

Well.... 2016 Model year is a LOOOONNNGGG time away and new govt CAFE stds will be in then too. And, who knows what will happen with gas/politics etc etc.

The high point of super cars of the 60's was 1969-1970. A two year run. So if GT500 and ZL1 etc make it with these Horsepowers for two more years I will be surprised. Man... it was a 40 year WAIT for a car like the ZL1 to come out. I wouldn't be waiting too long to get a hot car if it's what you want.

2012 CAMARO-ZL1-Silver Ice Metallic, AutoMagic TapShift, Polished Rims, Exposed CF Hood; Perma Grin;
Heartfelt Thanks to at City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC 2012 ZL1 Album-->https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/me...l1-photos.html
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 PM

The next generation Mustang will appear in 2015. That should give Chevy an incentive to have the new Camaro show up around the same time.

2000 Camaro SS
post #8 of 8 Old 05-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

I personally like the size of the Camaro. People compare it to the Mustang (naturally) but the Mustang is too plain for my tastes. The Camaro is voluptuous and curvy while the Stang is flat and boring. Even the interior...the Stang is too tight if you're over 6ft tall. I'm 6'2" and I find the Camaro is roomy and comfortable. If they make it smaller then my next car will end up being a Challenger.

I hope Chevy retains the curves and body lines. As far as weight, of course it would be nice for the Camaro to lose some...but options add weight. Compare the options of the 5th Gen vs the 4th Gen. For the money, I'd rather have a heavier car with more tech than a light car with nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page