Why does everyone want to race me? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
xxSkullZxx

Garage
Why does everyone want to race me?

It seems that each and everyday that I drive my Camaro, I run into someone that desires to challenge me. I don't drive like a jerk and I don't eyeball everyone that I sit next to at a stop light, but I can't believe the number of people that wish to tangle with the 323 HP V6 beast that I ride around in.

As a for instance, Im coming home from work the other day just driving listening to my music and out of nowhere I spot a Black dot in my rear view mirror and it is getting bigger and bigger. Well a little bit down the road this Black dot turns out to be 2 teens..(I'd say 16-20) driving a Nissan 350z. My first thought of course is "Hmm, out driving Daddy's car huh)? They literally pulled up right next to me and started giving me the eyeball. I looked back at them and laughed. As much as I wanted to hit the gas, I knew deep inside that if I were to take part in their plan, it would be me getting a ticket. We were in a 65 mph zone and a 55 mph zone was fast approaching and I was already running about 70+.

The bottom line to this little story that Im sure we all share is that there seems to be a lot of envy from those who do not possess the fine rides that we do!

Last edited by xxSkullZxx; 02-26-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Maybe they just wanted a closer/better [email protected]@k...

Funny thing is, I had more of what you are talking about with my 3rd Gen RX7 than with the Camaro. I get revved at a lot by the muscle car crowd but think that is more of a show of respect and saying "Hey!"....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #3 of 31 Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 AM

I get very little of this in my Camaro. I get A LOT of this in my cavalier.

Maybe because my cavalier is a lot louder than my camaro?

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, [email protected]
Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come

post #4 of 31 Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Maybe they just wanted a closer/better [email protected]@k...

Funny thing is, I had more of what you are talking about with my 3rd Gen RX7 than with the Camaro. I get revved at a lot by the muscle car crowd but think that is more of a show of respect and saying "Hey!"....
I agree

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #5 of 31 Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Livin' the dream!

Garage
I LOVE when folks do this when I'm driving my V6 or my SS.

I'll wait till the next light. Rev my engine with them, watch them take off and then drive casually by as they're being pulled over.

Too old for street racing.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."... 2 Timothy 4:7
post #6 of 31 Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 AM

I never get messed with in the camaro. Before I traded in my 2004 gto I use to get messed with every day. Maybe because I had headers and a bunch of work done to it so it was loud and mean. It was always kids and I wouldn't race them anyways. I take it as everyone knows the camaro is bad ass so they leave me alone
post #7 of 31 Old 02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSkullZxx View Post
It seems that each and everyday that I drive my Camaro, I run into someone that desires to challenge me. I don't drive like a jerk and I don't eyeball everyone that I sit next to at a stop light, but I can't believe the number of people that wish to tangle with the 323 HP V6 beast that I ride around in.

As a for instance, Im coming home from work the other day just driving listening to my music and out of nowhere I spot a Black dot in my rear view mirror and it is getting bigger and bigger. Well a little bit down the road this Black dot turns out to be 2 teens..(I'd say 16-20) driving a Nissan 350z. My first thought of course is "Hmm, out driving Daddy's car huh)? They literally pulled up right next to me and started giving me the eyeball. I looked back at them and laughed. As much as I wanted to hit the gas, I knew deep inside that if I were to take part in their plan, it would be me getting a ticket. We were in a 65 mph zone and a 55 mph zone was fast approaching and I was already running about 70+.

The bottom line to this little story that Im sure we all share is that there seems to be a lot of envy from those who do not possess the fine rides that we do!
I think some people are just looking for a little excitement on an otherwise boring and mundane commute. I mean look out there. Same streets, same traffic light patterns, a sea of beige and silver sedans everywhere...along comes a Camaro!! Yea, I don't think people are doing that to be jerks. My best friend has a G35 sedan. He's an enthusiast...he will race anything from a drop or a roll, haha!! And I've had people in everything from pick-ups to sports bikes try to race me. Win or lose usually there's a mutual smile and a thumbs up afterwards. And sometimes, people don't even wanna race, they just wanna see you take off or hear your exhaust or see you spin 2nd!! It's all fun and exciting!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #8 of 31 Old 02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

I hit the nitrous purge and they go away!

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #9 of 31 Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 AM

sometimes I get similar vroom vrooms from the but trumpet hondas.... I just give them a little muscle noise, laugh at them... then ignore.... it's not worth the trouble of "racing" them.... They know I look better, they know I sound better, and I know I'm faster....
post #10 of 31 Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM

I usually get the opposite. No matter how slow I'm going I get other sports cars lagging behind me,maybe fearing that if they pass me they will entice a race. Cherrybomb with headers do sound pretty mean though .lol I did have a Prius rev up and pass me the other day. They were all laughing at the driver which in turn made me laugh too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page