What are judges looking for? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-14-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

What are judges looking for?

I have been to several car shows and would like to know what is it that judges are looking for when they select a car for a trophy? I know there are different classes but it always seems that the older classic cars always get chosen for everything. The camaros that do win usually are chosen for modern muscle and have superchargers. All the other newer cars seem to get passed by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
It kinda depends on what kind of car show you're talking about. The smaller parking lot shows are based on the buddy system and you have to attend quite a few and become part of their crowd before you're ever going to do any real winning...since the judges are the actual participants...and being a girl doesn't help much.

While the convention center shows are more about the over all cohesiveness of the car and it's modifications...so if your car doesn't appear well thought out...you're gonna be screwed. These types of shows also give some consideration to the time and effort put into the presentation of the car itself...as in how nice is the display and does it work with and for the car.

The large parking lot shows fall somewhere in between because the display is less important but the appearance and modifications are more important since the judges are usually men that have been modifying cars for a long time so they generally want to see some power added and they don't care so much about appearance mods although they do like an upgraded interior.

I don't even mess with the small parking lot type of shows because I have no interest in hanging around all day and schmoozing with a bunch of good ol' boys...and I don't mean that to be a negative statement...I just don't know how else to describe them. I only enter convention center shows because the judges are more (but not totally) impartial.

I had a little advantage when I entered my first car show at the Dallas Convention Center...because I've shown dogs all my life and I know a little about what it takes to catch the attention of some judges. The show was back in 2010 when the Camaro was still fairly new and it highlighted the Camaro so there were many and mostly SSs entered (plus all kinds of other cars). But we (Envy and I) walked away as Judge's Choice for Best in Show which literally shocked the crap out of me. And as you can see...I had no display or story board because we weren't even done with her build yet.

post #3 of 24 Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Down here in Alabama i am still trying to figure that out
My Camaro usually draws the most crowd to it usually has the most pictures taken of and with it plus gets a boat load of compliments and i have yet to win anything but participation plaques. Oh well i still enjoy going to them...

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.

post #4 of 24 Old 03-15-2013, 04:31 PM

Cleanliness is almost always a MUST!! Mods and individuality are important as well. You want to be different than other people with your mods. I have found that if you have things like no one else it sticks in the judges minds.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user8880_pic3065_1339976867.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	16153  

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #5 of 24 Old 03-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting ... Envy won but you dont know why ... bamaproshop didnt win and didnt know why. This seems to align with Envy's assessment that it is sort of a [email protected] I do like the question as, as a newbie, it sounds like a good forum question. I haven't been to anything yet, central va isnt really the hot bed for car shows, but at some point I want to go, more or less to get ideas. I have a long way to enter.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #6 of 24 Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Garage
I have been participating in car shows pretty much my whole life. None are ever the same and there is never truly a set standard on judging criteria. Judges can be fickle or corrupt. All in all, its about enjoying your car and others. That being said detail your car and put on a smile.

2013 SS/RS/1LE
1964 Plymouth Barracuda Candy Apple
1962 Ford Thunderbird Baby Blue
post #7 of 24 Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight. Just started attending car shows about a year ago. I go mostly to enjoy the company of fellow camaro owners but do also like to show off my car. Don't really go with the intent to win a trophy but it sure would be nice if I did
post #8 of 24 Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
Interesting ... Envy won but you dont know why ... bamaproshop didnt win and didnt know why. This seems to align with Envy's assessment that it is sort of a [email protected] I do like the question as, as a newbie, it sounds like a good forum question. I haven't been to anything yet, central va isnt really the hot bed for car shows, but at some point I want to go, more or less to get ideas. I have a long way to enter.
I know why I won...because the judges told me why. I was just shocked because it was my very first car show...and I had to show dogs for almost 30 years before winning a BIS. The judges felt that my car was very well modified and that the modifications enhanced the overall look and/or appearance of the car. I do agree with Scott that mods, appearance and individualty are very important as is how well the car is detailed because that is part of the overall presentation. I don't think a smile is all that important since I haven't been present at any of the car shows Envy has been entered in because I had to work...yet Envy has done well at every show I put her in except for the one parking lot show where she was basically overlooked...even though I was present for that one with a big smile on my face wearing the tiniest shorts I own. But all the other gentleman did get a kick out of taking pictures of me (the only woman entrant) as I hugged the Hooter's girl when she handed me the small trophy...lol
post #9 of 24 Old 03-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Livin' the dream!

Garage
Judged shows are a crap shoot. Been to several and judges are usually biased to club members or locals.

Participant shows are a crap shoot. I've been shut out 2 years in a row in my hometown and I ALWAYS have the cleanest car in the show.

I'm not complaining though. My first year was 2011 in car shows and Domino took 9 trophies home. Most were People's Choice or Best in Class.

Last year she took home 22 trophies a lot of Best in Class, Best Late Model, and People's Choice.

Go, have fun, be excited when talking about your car, and NEVER leave your car unattended.

Cleanliness is a must, but I never clean inside my wheel wells. If judges/people don't like it... too bad cuz I actually drive my car (s).

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."... 2 Timothy 4:7

Last edited by INTIMIDAT3R; 03-16-2013 at 08:21 AM.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
Judged shows are a crap shoot. Been to several and judges are usually biased to club members or locals.

Participant shows are a crap shoot. I've been shut out 2 years in a row in my hometown and I ALWAYS have the cleanest car in the show.

I'm not complaining though. My first year was 2011 in car shows and Domino took 9 trophies home. Most were People's Choice or Best in Class.

Last year she took home 22 trophies a lot of Best in Class, Best Late Model, and People's Choice.

Go, have fun, be excited when talking about your car, and NEVER leave your car unattended.

Cleanliness is a must, but I never clean inside my wheel wells. If judges/people don't like it... too bad cuz I actually drive my car (s).
never leave car? or never leave car open n unlocked?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page