Proof of MPG's... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Livin' the dream!

Garage
Proof of MPG's...

Some folks demand proof of "claimed" mpg's in the 2012 2LS with its 2.91 rear end.

My mpg's aren't "claimed". They're real.

The only mechanical(if you want to call it that) mod to Trigger Happy's is a K&N drop in filter. Everything else is stock and 89 octane with 10% ethanol in the tank.

This is not hyper-mileing or resetting the average mpg's.

You can see in the photos the LFX engine turning just around 1550 rpm's at 70 mph.

The first photo was 20 miles into our trip to U of I Hospitals to see our son on Saturday. Had mind on other things and just set the cruise when we got on HWY 20 and happen to glance at the dash.

Second photo is on I380.

Third photo is on I380 through Cedar Rapids. 55 mph zone cuz of speed cameras.

Fourth photo is on I80 by Coralville.

Fifth photo is stopped at McDonald's to get a couple cheeseburgers for our son. Hospital food sucks!

Sixth photo is driving down the Coralville strip towards the University. Slow traffic and lots of it!

Finally, the last photo is parked in the U of I Hospital parkade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 HWY20.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	19481   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 I380.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	19489   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 I380 Cedar Rapids.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	19497   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 I80 Coralville.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	19505   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 McDonalds Stop.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	19513  

Click image for larger version

Name:	06 Coralville Strip.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	19521   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 UofI Hospital Parkade.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	19529  

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."... 2 Timothy 4:7

Last edited by INTIMIDAT3R; 05-13-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

That's pretty awesome!! I've always said its how you drive your car; everything effects your MPG, from taking off, to braking, to tire pressure.

My 2002 SLP SS with the 345HP CME, 6-Speed, & 3.42 Rear Axle would get 28 MPH on the highway all the time, cruising @ 70MPH. There were people who refused to believe that a SS Camaro, back in 2002 could get that good of mileage.

My brother's 50th Anniversary ZO6 Corvette, with a manual, gets over 28 MPG as well!!
post #3 of 31 Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 AM

Seems logical to me.

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, [email protected]
Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come

post #4 of 31 Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Livin' the dream!

Garage
You're right Bucky.

Just because my Camaros are muscle cars, doesn't mean I beat on them.

Yes, I do occasionally stomp on it for amusement or just to merge onto the interstate faster than normal, but I'll never beat on them or drive them like I stole them.

In fact, I've never beaten on any of the vehicles I've owned. Even the "beaters" I've had. Dad always said, "If you take care of your vehicles, they'll take care of you."

I've lived by that and have only been stranded on the roadside twice... in '94 the head gasket blew in my '89 Sunbird and in '86 the u-joint broke in my old '74 Datsun B210 that I drove in high school(folks laughed, but I wasn't riding the bus).

However, I've often wondered what Trigger Happy's 1/4 mile time would be with that 2.91 rear end. Hmmmm

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."... 2 Timothy 4:7

Last edited by INTIMIDAT3R; 05-13-2013 at 10:39 AM.
post #5 of 31 Old 05-13-2013, 01:31 PM

Impressive mileage for that size car, I also had a '02 Z/28 6 speed that always got at least 26 mpg. Granted, I live in the country and I have a 20 minute minimum drive to work on a 4 lane hwy, but I think that for a muscle car to get that kind of mileage is icing on the cake.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
However, I've often wondered what Trigger Happy's 1/4 mile time would be with that 2.91 rear end. Hmmmm
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say......... Not that impressive. Don't get me wrong, the V6's put out like 323 HP, and the most an LS1 put out from the factory was 345; but the torque is what gets you off the line in the 1/4 mile.

In fact, your 1/4 mile time is made up in the first 60 feet. But, no matter what, I'd be proud of your camaro!!
post #7 of 31 Old 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Awesome numbers

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #8 of 31 Old 05-13-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Livin' the dream!

Garage
Bucky, I'm very proud of Trigger Happy.

Especially on the interstates going 70 mph when guys who gave up their man cards pass me in baby blue Prius' trying regain some of their dignity.

I know for a fact at that speed, I'm pulling down equal if not better mpg's than they are.

post #9 of 31 Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

You are right in more than one way.... Reminds me of a funny story a couple years ago. I live in Huntsville, Alabama and my son's Cub Scout was going to road trip down to Mobile Alabama for a weekend sleep-over on the U.S.S Alabama. One of my son's best friends dad drove a prius. The morning we all showed up to Convoy, everyone was making fun and poking at my Camaro saying "With gas prices this high, who much is it gonna cost you to drive all the way to Mobile and back".

Long story short, the prius and I both topped off together before rolling out and then topped off in Mobile. Now, I followed the convoy and kept up with their speed. When it was all said and done, it cost me $7.00 more each way to drive my Camaro SS. Everyone was blown away and shocked. I told every parent on that trip, for the extra $14 it cost me to make that trip, I'll drive a 345HP Muscle Car and NOT look gay in a prius..... Bahahaha!!!
post #10 of 31 Old 05-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
Some folks demand proof of "claimed" mpg's in the 2012 2LS with its 2.91 rear end.

My mpg's aren't "claimed". They're real.

The only mechanical(if you want to call it that) mod to Trigger Happy's is a K&N drop in filter. Everything else is stock and 89 octane with 10% ethanol in the tank.

This is not hyper-mileing or resetting the average mpg's.

You can see in the photos the LFX engine turning just around 1550 rpm's at 70 mph.

The first photo was 20 miles into our trip to U of I Hospitals to see our son on Saturday. Had mind on other things and just set the cruise when we got on HWY 20 and happen to glance at the dash.

Second photo is on I380.

Third photo is on I380 through Cedar Rapids. 55 mph zone cuz of speed cameras.

Fourth photo is on I80 by Coralville.

Fifth photo is stopped at McDonald's to get a couple cheeseburgers for our son. Hospital food sucks!

Sixth photo is driving down the Coralville strip towards the University. Slow traffic and lots of it!

Finally, the last photo is parked in the U of I Hospital parkade.
INTIMID3R,

Those are fantastic numbers! When I get my Camaro I hope my MPG numbers are that good.

Mail Clerk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page