Camaro Model Lineup - What Do You Wanna See? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 Old 07-31-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Camaro Model Lineup - What Do You Wanna See?

I'm sure most of us have particpated in a few of these, I've seen everything ranged from 4 cyl's with a Blower, to LS7's and LS9's, post up what you'd like to see in the Camaro Lineup for 07-09 (Who really knows). Mine is as realistic as I think it will get.

Base Camaro: Fuel Efficent V6 (3.9 Maybe), manual and auto's avaliable. 20-23.5 price range.

I think we can all agree that the base Camaro must sell like crazy, in todays world of high gas prices and insurance rates the base model will most likely be the most popular and appeal to the widest range of buyers. I think one of the big mistakes with the 4th Gen Camaro was having the look, but not the performance. People bought Mustangs based on wide appeal, while the Camaro's looks were subjective, and imports based on gas mileage and better performance. The new V6 needs to be fuel-efficent, have some get up, and be stylish and optioned well and of course priced right. I don't expect a 12 second V6 car but it does need to compete with Maxima's, V6 Mustangs, Eclipses, etc.

Camaro Z28: LS2 V8, 6 speed manual, 5 or 6 speed automatic (paddle shifters would be cool). DOD (Gotta have the gas mileage, if you can get 30 MPG it will sell)

I would like to see it push 400+ HP, 415-425 would be nice. Maybe run a different cam then the current LS2, Intake etc. With the Challenger pushing 425+ HP, and the Mustang GT sure to get a power upgrade I think GM needs to make sure the Camaro Die-Hards and those buying the V8 for Performance, heritage, and uniqueness get exactly that. No one wants a Camaro if it gets outrun by everything, and of course price must be in the 24-28k range or so to compete. Gotta be able to compete, and hopefully smoke GT's, Evo's, WRX's, 350Z etc.

Camaro SS: Forged LS2, Supercharger, 6 speed manual or automatic with standard paddle shifters. 475-500 HP. Or a de-tuned LS7 would work. Unique styling, and more standard features etc.

There has been a lot of debate about the SS model recently, some think it should be returned to the old days when SS was the drag car, and Z's were the handling car. I believe SS stands for Super Sport, and although I don't agree with some of GM's recent SS badging, I think they should continue to make it the performance model. But make sure it has the performance. Ford is releasing an 06 Mustang Cobra rumored to produced 450HP or so, and GM has to do something about that. Most will be happy with the Z28 Model, but those with the desire for the ultimate Camaro and a Cobra killer will pay for an SS model. Price it in the 38k-42k range and you have a winner with the blown LS2 or a de-tuned LS7. Camaro fans will be very disappointed if GM can't match the Cobra, and much of the sales will depend on GM's standing with loyalists as well as those new car buyers. If someone see's Ford Building faster cars it translates to sales in other categories, if they love there Mustang they will continue to stick with Ford products. But if GM can compete and dominate like they have before, they will gain back a lot of buyers.

I also think GM should offer an RS package for the V6 models with badging and all. Give them different side skirts, grille, maybe interior badging, spoiler, rims, stereo etc. Maybe a cold air intake, or different exhaust from the factory. And make the model avaliable on Z28's as well. I really liked the RS package in 98-02 and it gave people the option to give there car a different styling option from just V6 or Z28.

Some people will argue with my list considering GM and the situation with the Corvette. I believe they should up the base Corvette to 450+ HP, it is a lighter car so it will still be faster and more unique then even the SS models. And of course they have big plans for the Z06 so no need too worry. Basically Corvette loyalists will still buy it, but after all it's a 2 door allout sports car. Where a 2+2 Camaro is much more economical, and can appeal to a wide spectrum. The Camaro will sell more, so give the potential buyers what they want, without killing the Corvette Icon.

Sorry for my long post, guess I just have very strong feelings being a Camaro fantatic. GM if your listening, make it fast, reliable, affordable... give us the car we are asking for, and we shall make Hero's of you. It's a lot to ask, but it will pay off!!!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 08-01-2006, 06:10 AM

I'll say what I've been saying, and that is that Z28 needs to be the top model, like the Z06. Leave the SS where it is, just take out the bland 4th gen Z28 and put it at a hyperperformance level instead.

There also needs to be a base level small V8 offered but it isn't going to happen and I've accepted that.
post #3 of 75 Old 08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

That model line up is good... except switch SS & Z28 around.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!

post #4 of 75 Old 08-01-2006, 01:25 PM

RS 3.6 DOHC HF V6
SS 5.3
Z/28 LS2
ZL1 LS9
post #5 of 75 Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

I still don't understand why the SS would be the lower model, when typically in modern times SS's are the top model. Super Sport is all that really needs to be said. I've always had Z28's but I still think the SS should remain on top of the food chart, and the SS should be a more rare, Cobra like option with FI or an LS7-LS9, I don't really care as long as it's a big block or something with a blower.
post #6 of 75 Old 08-01-2006, 04:22 PM

Talking NOT!

RS 3.6 DOHC HF V6
SS 5.3
Z/28 LS2
ZL1 LS9

Thiks is the Correct pecking order
RS 3.6 DOHC HF V6
Z/28 5.3
SS LS2
ZL1 SC LS2

Proud Owner of:
TT 2000 SS Camaro: 486 RWHP 493 RWTQ
1997 Silver C5
Daytona Sunset Orange 06 C6
post #7 of 75 Old 08-01-2006, 04:55 PM

Garage
a zl-1 edition should have a 427 that is the way they used to be and that is the way they should stay other than that I agree with fredl11
post #8 of 75 Old 08-06-2006, 07:38 AM

My friend Jim Rebholz wrote a good description.

"The first Z/28 did have a smaller engine than the SS/RS models--however, its 305-cid small-block was a high-revving, high-compression horsepower machine. With its improved handling it was the perfect car for Trans Am racing (and was one of the short list of '60s cars that could actually go around a corner). The Z/28 was the top dog in the 60s. It wasn't until the 4th-gen that the Z28 package was relegated to mid-level, with SS made the high-po Camaro."
post #9 of 75 Old 08-06-2006, 06:03 PM

when first produced this is what i think should be available

base: 3.9 v6, ~250hp
RS: 3.6 DI HF v6, ~315hp
SS: LS3, ~430hp

then a year or two down the road

Z28: LSwhatever, ~500hp

Red 2000 Camaro 3800, A4, LSD, 3.42
My FQuick Garage
More Pictures
Midwest F-Body Association
post #10 of 75 Old 08-06-2006, 10:15 PM

Dont worry about Power Ford is already making a Mustang Cobra R something like that and they say its gonna have 600hp and they said that the camaro will never have more hp then the mustang ..i know mustang will b fast so i really hope the camaro is better engineered cause it takes alot of work to make a car better in turning and ride quality but for speed slap a supercharger/turbocharger and you got pleanty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page