Check engine lite - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Check engine lite

Just bought my first Camaro. A 2011 SS. The car has 14k miles on it and is in show room condition. I put Kook long tube headers with Kook full flow Cats. I am getting a check engine lite code 1153 and 1154 which is for a rich or lean run. I spoke to the owner of the performance shop that put on my headers and he said to install a cold air intake and he can do a tune and a dyno for about 1k. He Sid this will solve the problem.

My question is this a good idea and what gains will I get from these mods? He claims 20 HP or so but will solve my code problems. Have any of you guys had this problem. I was more interested in upgrading the rear end gearing to 373's to get more pop out of the car . Right now budget is a concern and I want the car to drivable with no problems. Any suggestions and does anyone know a really good shop in the morristown area of North NJ.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Livin' the dream!

Garage
<cough> Light <cough>

I'd go with the intake and tune.

An engine that breathes easier is a happy engine.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."... 2 Timothy 4:7

Last edited by INTIMIDAT3R; 07-13-2013 at 08:15 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member

$1,000 is steep for a dyno tune. The most I've ever seen them for an N/A bolt-on car is $600. Do not give that guy a G for a dyno tune.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

post #4 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 05:47 AM
Livin' the dream!

Garage
I think he was including the price of the intake too.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."... 2 Timothy 4:7
post #5 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 AM

Definitely get an CAI & tune. IMO, clearing the codes and giving your car that healthy tune would be more important than adding more mods while the car isn't running the smoothest it could be. CAI's really help the 5th gens if you buy one of the top quality kits from like CAI Inc. or Roto-Fab, or a couple of the others. Getting a tune comes with the territory of modding a car, it's essential for giving your car the best performance with mods you have installed.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Dyno tune should be in the 3-400 dollar range. You should also get a street tune while you are at it.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #7 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
Dyno tune should be in the 3-400 dollar range. You should also get a street tune while you are at it.
What does the street tune do? Sorry not that familiar with the types of tunes.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Tune

The 1 k does include the CAI installed the tune and the dyno. What gains can I expect?
post #9 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 10:29 AM

Depends on the CAI you go with, Janetty Racing did a comparison test on a bunch of the CAI's that was a true no catch 22 test. The results varied per CAI no matter what the manufacturer printed on the box. The test may be listing in the results are JRE CAI comparison, I believe the test was done & posted in 2011. I've heard great things about CAI Inc's kit and according to the test it provides something like 12+ HP, that will probably be the one I buy when I get my car. Also is your car LS3/Manual 6 or L99/Auto 6? AFM delete/L99 tune on L99 cars help the performance greatly at least 25HP+. I have no idea what the LS3 tunes can provide, but I'd imagine with the mods you would have with the tune I'd say at least 30HP.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenix View Post
What does the street tune do? Sorry not that familiar with the types of tunes.
The car isn't under any load on the dyno.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page