Possible new buyer - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Possible new buyer

Hey guys and girls, I need opinions on possibly purchasing a new 2013 camero. I was looking into the 2ls because of the fuel economy being slightly higher but that would mean sacrificing the touch screen radio and other amenities the 1lt offers. Would there be an insurance difference between the two and how much am I looking at for insurance? I'm a 23 year old male with a clean driving record and good credit. I live in henderson, nv. I'm also driving a Nissan versa currently that I bought brand new in 2008 and never had an issue with. My next question of course is how reliable are the new cameros. Also should I be concerned with the lower fuel economy on the lt even tho it's only like 1 or 2 mpgs less versus the 2ls. Thank you for your opinions and thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 05:27 AM

I myself would not choose a car for only 1 or 2 mpg's extra, in most cases you probably won't notice the difference. Especially when there is a larger differences between the two trim levels you are comparing. I would definitely buy the 1LT over the 2LS.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 05:30 AM
Livin' the dream!

Garage
If you are wanting mileage go with the 2LS. I regularly got over 35 mpgs out of mine.

I loved mine!!!

The normal person on the street can't tell the difference anyway and you can always upgrade in 4 years when your insurance gives you an age break.

Plus the 2LS got the flex fuel tax break here in Iowa eventhough it isn't a flex fuel vehicle.

I don't have it anymore, my LT/RS, or my 2SS/RS, but you can see them in my garage... https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/ga...ehicle_id=1366

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."... 2 Timothy 4:7

Last edited by INTIMIDAT3R; 07-13-2013 at 05:45 AM.

post #4 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

35 mpg is pretty awesome, especially since its rated at 19/30 by the estimates. Since the 2ls model performs better than estimated, does the non-fuel efficient lt model also do better than expected too? My car currently gets 30 mpg anyways so anything slightly lower than that wouldn't be noticeable at all. I also really like the chevy infotainment unit, I rented a Malibu for 5 days and really enjoyed how easy it was to use. This being said unless the 2014's still include the same radio as last year on the 2ls model ill probably go with an lt.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm Ryan View Post
35 mpg is pretty awesome, especially since its rated at 19/30 by the estimates. Since the 2ls model performs better than estimated, does the non-fuel efficient lt model also do better than expected too? My car currently gets 30 mpg anyways so anything slightly lower than that wouldn't be noticeable at all. I also really like the chevy infotainment unit, I rented a Malibu for 5 days and really enjoyed how easy it was to use. This being said unless the 2014's still include the same radio as last year on the 2ls model ill probably go with an lt.
Get the car with the options you want and can afford and forget about gas mileage. You're gonna have to buy gas anyway, so why care about it?
post #6 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Get the car with the options you want and can afford and forget about gas mileage. You're gonna have to buy gas anyway, so why care about it?
but that premium gas does sure get expensive lol ... I'm sure this is by no means the worst but this week I have spent close to $400 on gas ... ugh ... granted some of it was just timing on cars I do not drive a lot plus the daily drivers ... but I put $62 in the Camaro fill up and $74 on a Dodge Ram almost fill-up.

That said I concur on buy the most car you can (and that does not have to mean V8 versus V6) ... you are going to be in the car for some miles ... enjoy the drive and don't worry about the gas mileage

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #7 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

The 1LT and the 2LS get virtually the same gas mileage. Insurance will also be nearly identical. They both are V6s and use the same gas. (same engine too) The 1LT has a little more equipment including blue tooth phone which is a must have. (hands free phone) Better wheels too. Gas and insurance are the same for either car. Pick the one you want.

Silver Ice Metallic 2013 Camaro 2LT
Born 7/29/2012 Delivered 4/24/2013
CyCam1
post #8 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCam1 View Post
The 1LT and the 2LS get virtually the same gas mileage. Insurance will also be nearly identical. They both are V6s and use the same gas. (same engine too) The 1LT has a little more equipment including blue tooth phone which is a must have. (hands free phone) Better wheels too. Gas and insurance are the same for either car. Pick the one you want.
I think I'm sold on the lt, having more options would definitely be nice since this is my first nice car. The 2ls has a different gear ratio I believe which explains the slightly better fuel economy but the lack of features is disappointing. So I noticed you have the 2lt, how useful is the HUD?
post #9 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 02:37 AM

I have a 2SS/RS and I use the HUD so much that if I drive another vehicle I look up. Also, when using the back up camera I find myself looking for that in other vehicles too. I have limo tint on the rear 3 windows so the cam comes in handy. I would get it loaded my friend I originally went in for a 1SS and am so glad I went with a 2SS. This of course is if you can afford it. No car is worth going into debt over. Take your time and choose wisely.

"If you're not first, you're last."
post #10 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
I have a 2SS/RS and I use the HUD so much that if I drive another vehicle I look up. Also, when using the back up camera I find myself looking for that in other vehicles too. I have limo tint on the rear 3 windows so the cam comes in handy. I would get it loaded my friend I originally went in for a 1SS and am so glad I went with a 2SS. This of course is if you can afford it. No car is worth going into debt over. Take your time and choose wisely.
I agree ... the HUD and backup camera are both awesome features ... also glad I decided on 2SS vice 1SS

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page