Uh oh. Check engine light - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Crewdogg15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tucson az, but moving soon
Posts: 299
 
Garage
Uh oh. Check engine light

So my ck engine light came on for the exhaust. Only thing that was changed was the mufflers, nothing else. Car has 3183 miles on it and its dropped off at the dealership for tommorrow. Lets see what happens. Apparently its a Cat code. Lets see how this plays out...service guy said i should be fine and under the warranty..
Crewdogg15 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
 
Chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,690
 
Updates?

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Chapel is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 07-19-2013, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Crewdogg15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tucson az, but moving soon
Posts: 299
 
Garage
I picked up the car at the end of the day. The dealership found nothing wrong with the car. The light is reset. Lets see what happens. No questions about my flow masters or anything either. Hope it was a fluke..
Crewdogg15 is offline  
 
post #4 of 32 Old 07-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Chevy Customer Service's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 383
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewdogg15 View Post
I picked up the car at the end of the day. The dealership found nothing wrong with the car. The light is reset. Lets see what happens. No questions about my flow masters or anything either. Hope it was a fluke..
Hello Crewdogg15,

We are happy to hear this update that nothing was found wrong with your vehicle. It appears that it was just a reset issue but if anything should arise in the future, do let us know and we will help wherever possible.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care



Available 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST
Chevy Customer Service is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 244
 
it must be a sensor

If it indicated it was a cat issue you know it had to be a O2 sensor. Just keep and eye on it and if it pops up again the Chevy dealership should replace it for free. They aren'y cheap so they will only replace when necessary.

Good luck....just took pocession of mine about a few weeks ago and so far I have about 400 miles.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Crewdogg15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tucson az, but moving soon
Posts: 299
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailclerk View Post
If it indicated it was a cat issue you know it had to be a O2 sensor. Just keep and eye on it and if it pops up again the Chevy dealership should replace it for free. They aren'y cheap so they will only replace when necessary.

Good luck....just took pocession of mine about a few weeks ago and so far I have about 400 miles.

Mail Clerk
Very true, i heard they are around 500 for that tiny little part
Crewdogg15 is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 07-21-2013, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Crewdogg15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tucson az, but moving soon
Posts: 299
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Service View Post
Hello Crewdogg15,

We are happy to hear this update that nothing was found wrong with your vehicle. It appears that it was just a reset issue but if anything should arise in the future, do let us know and we will help wherever possible.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
So yea, came on again. So my problem is that the service station is closed and my car ships tommorrow
Crewdogg15 is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 07-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 244
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewdogg15 View Post
Very true, i heard they are around 500 for that tiny little part
Crewdogg15,

Sensors are not guaranteed to work with the best efficiency. Most of the time they do very well but they can fail anytime.

When I had my 01' Dodge Durango I had to replace cat sensor around 25K and that's made by Bosch! In addition I also had to pay for it which cost me around $350 not including labor. After that I had no further issues with any more sensor in the truck.

Just keep and eye on it and if it occurs again you'll know it's ready to be replaced. Who knows GM may pay for the replacement.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Crewdogg15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tucson az, but moving soon
Posts: 299
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailclerk View Post
Crewdogg15,

Sensors are not guaranteed to work with the best efficiency. Most of the time they do very well but they can fail anytime.

When I had my 01' Dodge Durango I had to replace cat sensor around 25K and that's made by Bosch! In addition I also had to pay for it which cost me around $350 not including labor. After that I had no further issues with any more sensor in the truck.

Just keep and eye on it and if it occurs again you'll know it's ready to be replaced. Who knows GM may pay for the replacement.

Mail Clerk
They have to. I have 3200 miles on it and its a 13. Just frustrating. Dont know if im gonna have time to get it fixed before i leave to korea for a year
Crewdogg15 is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 07-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Member
 
CyberPunk223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 275
 
it sounds like there maybe nothing wrong with the sensors or the car but the mufflers are causing the code/light to trigger which can happen if you modify the exhaust.

Gm doesn't have to replace the sensor under warranty, if the sensor is bad which it may not be, they could claim that the exhaust mods caused the failure.

cars today are highly tuned and precise, when you change the exhaust you have to expect that the ECM may need custom tuning, and then custom tuning voids your warranty even further, which is why It's better not to mess with it in the first place.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 07-21-2013 at 12:39 PM.
CyberPunk223 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome