SS Manual Shifter Assy. In My 1LT V-6? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

SS Manual Shifter Assy. In My 1LT V-6?

I would like to use an SS 6-Speed Manual Shifter Assy. in my 2010 1LT V-6 Camaro. Yes it also has the 6-Speed Manual Trans.

Has anyone on the forum done this, and were you satisfied with the results?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Red 2010 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

I don't understand. Is the assembly different? Can you snag a pic of yours?

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 PM

I did ask at GM parts house if I could install the ZL1 Shifter in my Camaro and I was told I could.

I am not sure what purpose it would serve, unless you want to get rid of the centering springs.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 PM

I believe the gauge pack does cross fit between v6 & v8, could be wrong. Shift boot & shifter I would think are a perfect cross fit.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 PM

If they are running different transmissions I would highly doubt you can interchange them...
post #6 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 AM
JacFab.com

The shifters themselves are exactly the same, you will notice no difference, except for the loss of the centering springs if you change the complete assembly...

Now the ZL1 shifter, you would notice a slightly shorter through, but still, it's the same housing/mount, so you can install just the shifter shaft if you like.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro
Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket, Dynomax Axleback, JacFab CAI System, JacFab HFC's, Bo White ported TB.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Wink SS shifter assy. in a V-6 Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
The shifters themselves are exactly the same, you will notice no difference, except for the loss of the centering springs if you change the complete assembly...

Now the ZL1 shifter, you would notice a slightly shorter through, but still, it's the same housing/mount, so you can install just the shifter shaft if you like.
Hey Guys,
I was at the Detroit Auto show last January where there was a 2012 ZL1 Camaro that I got to sit in.

I could not believe how solid it felt through the gear changes! It actually felt as good if not better than my 2003 ZO6 Corvette! It also felt that it had at least a 30% reduction in the shift gates!

When I was on the Chevrolet performance .com web site recently, I noticed that the ZL1 shifter assy. is listed as a direct replacement for the SS Camaro. The GM PT.# is also listed if anyone is interested.

That is why I wanted to know if the SS manual shifter assy. would interchange with the 1LT V-6, 6 speed shifter. If you spend a lot of time in your Camaro like I do, this ZL1 shifter is a NO-BRAINER!

It is also easier on the wallet at less than $300.00 and also includes the ZL1 shift knob and boot!

Thanks Again For The Valuable Info! Is This Forum The Best Or What!

Red 2010 Camaro
post #8 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:

So they are the same. Huh, you wouldn't think a 6060 trans shifter would fit on a V6 trans... Oh well...
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:

No difference even if reverse is left or right?

I know you know Jason, just to confirm.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 PM
JacFab.com

The shifter assembly is the same, I've got both from a v6 and a v8, and had a ZL1, which the housing was also exactly the same... The only difference in the housings is that the v6 has centering springs, which are just screwed into the top of the housing using some shoulder bolts. V6 and V8 shift levers are exactly the same. The ZL1 shift shaft is a "fake" short throw...

See this thread:

https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/dr...wn-w-pics.html

Then see this one:

https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/do...g%2A-long.html

Trust me... Save your money. Modify your own if you or a friend have the ability. If you want to spend that much $$, you would be much better off finding a factory Hurst shifter. Or just flat out go aftermarket.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro
Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket, Dynomax Axleback, JacFab CAI System, JacFab HFC's, Bo White ported TB.

Last edited by RacnJsn95; 08-02-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page