test drove every new v6 muscle car experience - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

test drove every new v6 muscle car experience

so I owned a 08 dodge charger 3.5L v6 (250hp) it got wrecked and wasn't my fault that's why I got granted an amount for another vehicle so I was off by 5k from the amount i was granted for a challenger so i threw in 5k extra and got a 2011 dodge challenger 3.6 v6 (305hp) it wasn't much of a upgrade but the car looks nice and since all the v6s were being pumped up in recent years i got curious and test drove a 2012 Camaro v6 and a 2012 mustang v6

all opinions are based on stock ! no tune nothing...and i am a good driver

- charger-chally-300 3.5 v6 felt like it pulled hard and you were going fast but in reality the timing was a joke to how fast you are actually going very normal car almost anyone can compete with you on the streets

- charger-chally-300 3.6 v6 is a lot smoother doesn't seem like it pulls as hard as the 3.5 but in numbers its a bit faster also seems slower because the lack of sound (weird opinion but after owning a 3.5 you would understand)

- mustang 3.7 v6 ..first thing i notice is how cheap ford is lol anyway...it was pretty fast, faster than lots of previous (stock) mustang v8s but by todays standards its a slightly above average car for speed

- Camaro 3.6 v6 was my favourite it has lots of power for a v6 but just when your getting pumped like any v6 muscle car you hit the dead zone..no more power, the Camaro seems the fastest but being unsure of numbers i would say speed wise comparable to the mustang would be a excellent match, these 2 would leave both dodge v6's in the dust

i am on the market for a used 10-13 2ss and i shouldn't have any trouble selling my challenger for less than 15k....anyways for looks, day to day driving and a little above average speed and the money situation v6's are great but i will never ever own a v6 muscle car again for many reasons, 1.putting so many mods into a v6 and having regret 2.speed...not even for the track but just to save the embarrassment at a red light to a ricer 3.sound ftw...4.your friends say your car is nice and you do too but deep down its hard to respect it as much being a v6 i personally in my own opinion cannot take the car seriously unless is a v6 Nissan gtr ect..lol i have since test drove the new v8s and the 6.2 Camaro is the best bang for the buck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
We will be waiting for pictures of your SS!!!!

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
post #3 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton77 View Post
so I owned a 08 dodge charger 3.5L v6 (250hp) it got wrecked and wasn't my fault that's why I got granted an amount for another vehicle so I was off by 5k from the amount i was granted for a challenger so i threw in 5k extra and got a 2011 dodge challenger 3.6 v6 (305hp) it wasn't much of a upgrade but the car looks nice and since all the v6s were being pumped up in recent years i got curious and test drove a 2012 Camaro v6 and a 2012 mustang v6

all opinions are based on stock ! no tune nothing...and i am a good driver

- charger-chally-300 3.5 v6 felt like it pulled hard and you were going fast but in reality the timing was a joke to how fast you are actually going very normal car almost anyone can compete with you on the streets

- charger-chally-300 3.6 v6 is a lot smoother doesn't seem like it pulls as hard as the 3.5 but in numbers its a bit faster also seems slower because the lack of sound (weird opinion but after owning a 3.5 you would understand)

- mustang 3.7 v6 ..first thing i notice is how cheap ford is lol anyway...it was pretty fast, faster than lots of previous (stock) mustang v8s but by todays standards its a slightly above average car for speed

- Camaro 3.6 v6 was my favourite it has lots of power for a v6 but just when your getting pumped like any v6 muscle car you hit the dead zone..no more power, the Camaro seems the fastest but being unsure of numbers i would say speed wise comparable to the mustang would be a excellent match, these 2 would leave both dodge v6's in the dust

i am on the market for a used 10-13 2ss and i shouldn't have any trouble selling my challenger for less than 15k....anyways for looks, day to day driving and a little above average speed and the money situation v6's are great but i will never ever own a v6 muscle car again for many reasons, 1.putting so many mods into a v6 and having regret 2.speed...not even for the track but just to save the embarrassment at a red light to a ricer 3.sound ftw...4.your friends say your car is nice and you do too but deep down its hard to respect it as much being a v6 i personally in my own opinion cannot take the car seriously unless is a v6 Nissan gtr ect..lol i have since test drove the new v8s and the 6.2 Camaro is the best bang for the buck
Carleton77, the V6 Mustang will outperform the V6 Camaro and V6 Charger/Challenger by a good margin given equal driving skills. With bolt-ons, I'd say you could probably see low to mid 13s.

As far as the V6 to V8 comparisons. Well you can't really compare the two because the V6 is not made to compete against the V8s. And V6s have come a long way since the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. They used to be stripped down versions of the V8s. But not these days. The V6s are built very well and they are impressive in terms of options, looks, fuel efficiency, price, performance, and insurance costs. If you're talking about raw performance, then no, the V6 cannot hang with the V8. But it isn't really fair to say you can't respect the car or take it seriously. Especially when there are other people who have vehicle preferences that differ from your own. The V6 appeals to a different market than the V8 does. And that market doesn't include someone who wants a 13.0 second car. Some people could care less about how fast the car is. They may just want it for the way it looks or just because they like it. If you're looking for all out performance, then you should start looking at the SS. Hopefully you'll find what you want in your price range. Good luck!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

post #4 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk View Post
We will be waiting for pictures of your SS!!!!
its winter in less than 2 1/2 months here in Canada and I have been price watching, the winter is the best time to buy a RWD v8 2 door muscle car no one wants it LOL plus in the spring we are adding a garage to the house so its going to be a while but I will be pretty busy with work and my ps4/xbox1 haha going to be a good winter and a amazing spring

its happening for sure bro my cars worth no less than 15k even to a car dealer and the ss's im looking at are in the 23-25k price range, I am going to need to find a car for the dog/winter the winter after the Camaro I want the bottom of my car sparkling like a came from California
post #5 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

and chapel I agree 100% but regardless how much current v6 dominates the older v8s I think it comes down to the novelty of a muscle car having a v8, I am on my second v6 and me and friends do not take any v6 muscle car seriously it cant go to car to shows it will never be a classic or hold value

I am on my second v6 tried all the others....not only do I have v8 envy more than ever I did before.. got a nice 2011 challenger in my driveway with 305hp that I have no respect for its even getting winter driven again this year lol I think my attitude also comes from my ninja days getting a 250cc-636cc-1000cc....v6 to me is like a starter car and my 3.5l charger was my first car
post #6 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 03:43 AM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
it cant go to car to shows it will never be a classic or hold value
Happily...neither of those statements are accurate. My V6 won a Best In Show as the Judges Favorite at her very first show...beating all the V8s present...Camaros and vintage classics alike. And the purchase price of my Special Edition V6 back in 2010 was $28,200 but the private party resale value on it over 3 years later is $25,900 according to Kelly Blue Book...so I've got no complaints.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Yea carleton, envy is right. I have never seen a car show that stipulates the engine size. They may stipulate that it has to be a numbers matching car or the original engine or something like that...but I've never seen a car lose because it was a V6. And a classic as well, a classic doesn't have to be a V8. A classic doesn't even have to be a muscle car. Any car will hold it's value well if it is well maintained.

As far as performance, you clearly want and need a V8. So again, make sure your budget can afford you one. If not, then a 2011 and up V6 Mustang will be your best bet. The Dodge Challenger/Charger is a heavy car. Last I checked the Challenger weighed about 4400 lbs I think. And that V6 cannot help move that much weight around. Even the R/T is slow (mid to high 13s) compared to the Camaro SS (low to flat 13) and Mustang GT (low 13 to high 12). And considering the engine size and output of the SRT-8, even it is heavy enough that it is slow for it's output. I'd guess your Dodge V6 is about a mid to high 14. The Camaro is around 3800 lbs. Which makes the V6 about a low 14 second car. The clear winner is the Mustang V6 which is a high 13. Headers, exhaust, intake, and a good tune and I'd put money on the Mustang V6 over a stock R/T Challenger. And you'd probably spend around $1500-$2000 for all that. And that is pretty fast. Not to mention that it will be more fun to drive because of how light it is. I drove a 2010 Mustang GT and that car felt soo light and fast while cornering as opposed to the heft of the Camaro SS. Even the Coyote felt significantly lighter. So it isn't all about the size of an engine. Those 370Zs are low 13 second cars. And they are N/A V6 engines. You could even go forced induction on a V6 Camaro. That's get you into the 12s definitely. But for raw out of the box performance, nothing really compares to a V8...except a V10!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #8 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM

V6 Camaros have breathing problems in stock form. Open up the breathing and they are pretty quick. Got mine from low 14s stock to high 13s easy. Still don't run headers.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
and chapel I agree 100% but regardless how much current v6 dominates the older v8s I think it comes down to the novelty of a muscle car having a v8, I am on my second v6 and me and friends do not take any v6 muscle car seriously it cant go to car to shows it will never be a classic or hold value

I am on my second v6 tried all the others....not only do I have v8 envy more than ever I did before.. got a nice 2011 challenger in my driveway with 305hp that I have no respect for its even getting winter driven again this year lol I think my attitude also comes from my ninja days getting a 250cc-636cc-1000cc....v6 to me is like a starter car and my 3.5l charger was my first car
Any car running in the 13s you have to take a little seriously especially if its a V6 weighing 3750lbs. If my car were 400lbs lighter I can only imagine how fast it would go.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Yea carleton, envy is right. I have never seen a car show that stipulates the engine size. They may stipulate that it has to be a numbers matching car or the original engine or something like that...but I've never seen a car lose because it was a V6. And a classic as well, a classic doesn't have to be a V8. A classic doesn't even have to be a muscle car. Any car will hold it's value well if it is well maintained.

As far as performance, you clearly want and need a V8. So again, make sure your budget can afford you one. If not, then a 2011 and up V6 Mustang will be your best bet. The Dodge Challenger/Charger is a heavy car. Last I checked the Challenger weighed about 4400 lbs I think. And that V6 cannot help move that much weight around. Even the R/T is slow (mid to high 13s) compared to the Camaro SS (low to flat 13) and Mustang GT (low 13 to high 12). And considering the engine size and output of the SRT-8, even it is heavy enough that it is slow for it's output. I'd guess your Dodge V6 is about a mid to high 14. The Camaro is around 3800 lbs. Which makes the V6 about a low 14 second car. The clear winner is the Mustang V6 which is a high 13. Headers, exhaust, intake, and a good tune and I'd put money on the Mustang V6 over a stock R/T Challenger. And you'd probably spend around $1500-$2000 for all that. And that is pretty fast. Not to mention that it will be more fun to drive because of how light it is. I drove a 2010 Mustang GT and that car felt soo light and fast while cornering as opposed to the heft of the Camaro SS. Even the Coyote felt significantly lighter. So it isn't all about the size of an engine. Those 370Zs are low 13 second cars. And they are N/A V6 engines. You could even go forced induction on a V6 Camaro. That's get you into the 12s definitely. But for raw out of the box performance, nothing really compares to a V8...except a V10!!
I drove both Mustangs and both Camaros before buying my car. The mustangs are faster in all categories, but I liked the feel of the manual v6 camaro better. And also liked the V8 Mustang better than the V8 Camaro...dont why it just fit me better and felt quicker than the SS. Didnt get the Mustang because I knew a different model would be out soon and decided to wait, so ended up with the v6 Camaro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page