how many and best options for s/c, turbo - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-18-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

how many and best options for s/c, turbo

i know there is a specific section for this but it is kind of general i am only asking how many reliable setups are out and what is the best, anything out that's as easy as the edelbrock that's cheaper/better?

....what are my options

another question is a s/c-turbo SS with a few other mods say making 650-800hp the same experience as a zl1? is it the cheaper route? used zl1s are unheard of here you basically have to go new or travel for used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton77 View Post
i know there is a specific section for this but it is kind of general i am only asking how many reliable setups are out and what is the best, anything out that's as easy as the edelbrock that's cheaper/better?

....what are my options

another question is a s/c-turbo SS with a few other mods say making 650-800hp the same experience as a zl1? is it the cheaper route? used zl1s are unheard of here you basically have to go new or travel for used
You have to remember that the ZL1 has Mag-Ride and is built out of the box to take the beating. You would need to do some serious suspension work/tires once the blower is in to keep up in the twisties, even with the 244lb weight advantage the SS has... Plus, you can mod the ZL1 to greater heights!!

That said, if the ZL1 was available when I bought my SS (2009) I would have gone with the ZL1. But I have no intentions now. My SC'd SS with all its mods is quite stunning in its own right!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #3 of 4 Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Having put a deposit on a zl1 paying down my 2ss, my dealership moved, I got my deposit back as the crystal red was under constraint and they ordered there one car a year in grey with different options and blew me off, I took my deposit to another city and bought a crystal red ss with all the options I wanted and do not regret it much.
For 1 its my daily driver and I go in road trips with it. It puts plenty of power to the ground and sounds great with the dual mode exhaust. I do not have to get a separate set of wheels and tires for the rain and bad weather, or pay two hundred more dollars a month. I do not have to worry if the supercharger which is the 1900 is going to go out, I do like the ride suspension and the driving modes on a zl1, yet not the fuel economy.
When you figure it out a stock ss can make easily 500 h.p. with good exhaust a better throttle body, headers and a tune....so for a few thousand and your around 450 RWHP, and the zl1 is about 500 RWHP. Now it of course would be easier to build a zl1 to more massive h.p., with just pulley changes and such...and void your warranty as a tune will on a ss. Yet if your just wanting to race and be reliable a naturally aspirated engine is more reliable with less to break down and easier to work on. The zl1 would also require for a couple thousand some 1000 h.p. rear axles as they are the weak link, some upgrading to its suspension for several thousand at least.......and then you could wonder about if you should have taken and gone with a 2300, or 3000 whipple etc...
I have looked at a lot of varied options for getting more power, for complete packages there are magnuson, and edelbrock, etc and some turbo kits that seem quite nice. That is a decision you will have to make....
Heres a article on a good rear end upgrade

Install and Review: Eaton Detroit Truetrac For The 5th Gen Camaro SS - LSXTV

here is a good twin turbo kit

IPS 2010+ Camaro Twin Turbo Kit - Turbo Kits - Forced Induction - 2010+ Camaro SS - Camaro

here is a good magnuson package

Camaro SS 378 CID LS3 650 HP Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger Package | Lingenfelter Performance Engineering

wanna upgrade a zl1..........

2012 - 2013 Camaro ZL1 Performance Parts & Upgrades | Hennessey Performance

Livernois Motorsports: Specializing in Late Model Domestic Performance Parts

Apex Motorsports is your source for performance parts and accessories for 2010 Camaro, Dodge Challenger, and Ford Mustang

JEGS Performance Auto Parts - Holley - Billet Specialties - Edelbrock - MSD - Moroso - Mr Gasket

http://www.summitracing.com/

And what ever you build the car too the brakes and suspension and cooling have to handle it, and a zl1's intercooler has a lot to be desired, so people buy better ones, and quick chillers that use the ac to cool it. All in all there is a lot to be considered, and it gets expensive the more go for power. Good luck. You can search autotrader.com for used zl1s .

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....

post #4 of 4 Old 08-20-2013, 12:43 PM

IPS is right down the road from me and i have seen their TT in action. Love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page