Leather Seats: Seatbelt Strap warning - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Leather Seats: Seatbelt Strap warning

A bit of warning! I noticed quite accidentally that under both seatbelt shoulder straps on my 2011 SS Convertible (leather) that the straps stitching is tearing through the leather of the seat. It's worse on the driver's side, but present on both. As this could easily be construed as a 'wear and tear' issue by the dealer, I was sure I'd get bad news from my dealer. BUT, being a great place, Chevrolet of Puyallup is replacing both seat sides. I urge you to check. I don't know if this is a common problem, but nobody seems to have known about it in the area. Also if there's a bulletin on it, please share it here. Sorry about the fuzzy picture, iphones only do so much with their autofocus.

Thanks!

Tib
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro Leater DS Strap.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	26186  

My Camaro History -
'71 Placer/India Gold, Z23
'95 Arctic White, T-tops, LT
'11 Summit White "Trek" 'Vert, 2SS/RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
A bit of warning! I noticed quite accidentally that under both seatbelt shoulder straps on my 2011 SS Convertible (leather) that the straps stitching is tearing through the leather of the seat. It's worse on the driver's side, but present on both. As this could easily be construed as a 'wear and tear' issue by the dealer, I was sure I'd get bad news from my dealer. BUT, being a great place, Chevrolet of Puyallup is replacing both seat sides. I urge you to check. I don't know if this is a common problem, but nobody seems to have known about it in the area. Also if there's a bulletin on it, please share it here. Sorry about the fuzzy picture, iphones only do so much with their autofocus.

Thanks!

Tib
I'm gonna check mine...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 12 Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 AM

I almost never use mine as they are not very likely to hold the seatbelt in place, the magnetic clasp is not that strong.

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....

post #4 of 12 Old 08-31-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mine holds them ok, not great, but enough that they're helpful. Just wanted folks to check. If you find a problem, report in. I'm curious to the extent of this issue!

Thanks,

Tib

My Camaro History -
post #5 of 12 Old 08-31-2013, 05:02 PM

We're glad to hear that your dealership is working with you on the seat belt straps, Tiberious. Thanks for letting other forum members know!

Sarah (Assisting Will)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Available 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST
post #6 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevelle View Post
I almost never use mine as they are not very likely to hold the seatbelt in place, the magnetic clasp is not that strong.
Mine holds just fine and I've used them on both camaros I have owned. It's a pretty strong magnet. Pretty sure mine was still attached after I wrecked my first camaro.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Mine holds just fine and I've used them on both camaros I have owned. It's a pretty strong magnet. Pretty sure mine was still attached after I wrecked my first camaro.
you mean the magnet was still in place holding the seat belt down? just wondering because it seems to be a real hit or miss thing for me sometimes it sticks fine other times it seems to not want to stick at all. Offhand, I think it is only meant to keep the belt in place as the seat goes up and down.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #8 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
you mean the magnet was still in place holding the seat belt down? just wondering because it seems to be a real hit or miss thing for me sometimes it sticks fine other times it seems to not want to stick at all. Offhand, I think it is only meant to keep the belt in place as the seat goes up and down.
As I got out of my wrecked camaro I vividly remember having to peel the belt off of me and I remember it still being fastened to the seat by that ****ed magnet strap. It held somehow. I never thought it would either but it did.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 PM

2010 2SS/RS here with about 30k miles. Just checked at break and pulling is present. I use mine all the time and it never seems to "break loose".
post #10 of 12 Old 09-08-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

So nobody here is seeing the stitching tear the leather? It seems odd that this is happening on both of my seats despite my low miles and nobody else is experiencing it here. Glad to hear it, maybe my next leather bits will hold up better!

Tib

My Camaro History -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page