Leather Seats: Seatbelt Strap warning - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
 
Tiberious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 315
 
Leather Seats: Seatbelt Strap warning

A bit of warning! I noticed quite accidentally that under both seatbelt shoulder straps on my 2011 SS Convertible (leather) that the straps stitching is tearing through the leather of the seat. It's worse on the driver's side, but present on both. As this could easily be construed as a 'wear and tear' issue by the dealer, I was sure I'd get bad news from my dealer. BUT, being a great place, Chevrolet of Puyallup is replacing both seat sides. I urge you to check. I don't know if this is a common problem, but nobody seems to have known about it in the area. Also if there's a bulletin on it, please share it here. Sorry about the fuzzy picture, iphones only do so much with their autofocus.

Thanks!

Tib
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro Leater DS Strap.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	26186  

My Camaro History -
'71 Placer/India Gold, Z23
'95 Arctic White, T-tops, LT
'11 Summit White "Trek" 'Vert, 2SS/RS
Tiberious is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
 
Chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,690
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
A bit of warning! I noticed quite accidentally that under both seatbelt shoulder straps on my 2011 SS Convertible (leather) that the straps stitching is tearing through the leather of the seat. It's worse on the driver's side, but present on both. As this could easily be construed as a 'wear and tear' issue by the dealer, I was sure I'd get bad news from my dealer. BUT, being a great place, Chevrolet of Puyallup is replacing both seat sides. I urge you to check. I don't know if this is a common problem, but nobody seems to have known about it in the area. Also if there's a bulletin on it, please share it here. Sorry about the fuzzy picture, iphones only do so much with their autofocus.

Thanks!

Tib
I'm gonna check mine...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Chapel is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 AM
Member
 
christianchevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 217
 
I almost never use mine as they are not very likely to hold the seatbelt in place, the magnetic clasp is not that strong.

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
christianchevelle is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 08-31-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
 
Tiberious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 315
 
Mine holds them ok, not great, but enough that they're helpful. Just wanted folks to check. If you find a problem, report in. I'm curious to the extent of this issue!

Thanks,

Tib

My Camaro History -
'71 Placer/India Gold, Z23
'95 Arctic White, T-tops, LT
'11 Summit White "Trek" 'Vert, 2SS/RS
Tiberious is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Member
 
Chevy Customer Service's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 383
        
We're glad to hear that your dealership is working with you on the seat belt straps, Tiberious. Thanks for letting other forum members know!

Sarah (Assisting Will)
Chevrolet Customer Care



Available 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST
Chevy Customer Service is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 334
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevelle View Post
I almost never use mine as they are not very likely to hold the seatbelt in place, the magnetic clasp is not that strong.
Mine holds just fine and I've used them on both camaros I have owned. It's a pretty strong magnet. Pretty sure mine was still attached after I wrecked my first camaro.
coyotekiller is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
 
83Hokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,590
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Mine holds just fine and I've used them on both camaros I have owned. It's a pretty strong magnet. Pretty sure mine was still attached after I wrecked my first camaro.
you mean the magnet was still in place holding the seat belt down? just wondering because it seems to be a real hit or miss thing for me sometimes it sticks fine other times it seems to not want to stick at all. Offhand, I think it is only meant to keep the belt in place as the seat goes up and down.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
83Hokie is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 334
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
you mean the magnet was still in place holding the seat belt down? just wondering because it seems to be a real hit or miss thing for me sometimes it sticks fine other times it seems to not want to stick at all. Offhand, I think it is only meant to keep the belt in place as the seat goes up and down.
As I got out of my wrecked camaro I vividly remember having to peel the belt off of me and I remember it still being fastened to the seat by that ****ed magnet strap. It held somehow. I never thought it would either but it did.
coyotekiller is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Member
 
BBQdDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 331
 
2010 2SS/RS here with about 30k miles. Just checked at break and pulling is present. I use mine all the time and it never seems to "break loose".
BBQdDude is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 09-08-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
 
Tiberious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 315
 
So nobody here is seeing the stitching tear the leather? It seems odd that this is happening on both of my seats despite my low miles and nobody else is experiencing it here. Glad to hear it, maybe my next leather bits will hold up better!

Tib

My Camaro History -
'71 Placer/India Gold, Z23
'95 Arctic White, T-tops, LT
'11 Summit White "Trek" 'Vert, 2SS/RS
Tiberious is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome