Outside Temperature Reading - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Question Outside Temperature Reading

OK....granted I live in the desert...and it gets HOT....very hot. My HUD and display temperature readings coincide BUT when checked against my phone and local weather readings....the Camaro temperature readings are 10-12 degrees higher. Is it just me...or can someone explain this significant difference to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 03:49 AM

do you have a bank with a temp reading. my phone is always off. My Camaro isn't

2012 2SS/RSM6 Silver with Painted CarbonFlash rally stripes,3.91gears, NewEra ported TB,OTR, HeritageGrill, NightFury cam, Melling296 Oilpump, KatechCR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunion upgrade. American Racing1 7/8"LT headers w/cats, and TWM fullShifter BMRsways,trailing arms,toe rods, delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control arm bushingkit,front suspension bushing kit. Solo Mach XL exhaust 25% Fluidampr
post #3 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member

It sometimes depends on location. For instance, local weather could be colder or hotter depending on where they are actually getting the readings from. If you are lets say 10 miles away from the local location, then you might be a little off. Plus the Camaro is showing you the temp as it is at that exact moment. I'm not sure how often the local weather gets updated. As an example, I can see 70 degrees down by the beach which is 3 miles east of me...but I can go about 10 miles west and see like 80 degrees.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

post #4 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Like at 6pm last night it was hot....my phone said 97.....Cami(yes not original but that's her name) was reading 109
post #5 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

with your original post I was going to say, turn off the AC and put your phone outside the window where "cami" is getting her reading, but that doesn't really work after you qualified ... I know, I'm not very funny, sorry ... what Jconningham and Chapel said

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #6 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

yea the car temp is def off, mine is always 15 higher, matched it with my thermo right outside

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #7 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 PM

same thing my car said 99 and my mobile phone said 85.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 11:19 PM

on the phones the temp is what a weather service says (and thats based off of their nearest weather stations) not a sensor in the phone. They cant put a out side temp sensor in a phone as the phone will read hotter because the phone is warmer. than ambient temp. out of my 3 GMs with temp sensors all have been spot on. I have a $40 thermal gun but its 10 degrees off so unless its a very expensive one I wouldn't trust it to be that accurate. Like i said find a bank or even better a school that has a temp sign. Our school use to have a weather station for the local news at it but not anymore. of course a thermometer reading will work too if you know someone with one

2012 2SS/RSM6 Silver with Painted CarbonFlash rally stripes,3.91gears, NewEra ported TB,OTR, HeritageGrill, NightFury cam, Melling296 Oilpump, KatechCR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunion upgrade. American Racing1 7/8"LT headers w/cats, and TWM fullShifter BMRsways,trailing arms,toe rods, delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control arm bushingkit,front suspension bushing kit. Solo Mach XL exhaust 25% Fluidampr

Last edited by JCunningham; 08-31-2013 at 11:23 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

i checked it with my thermometer and it was still way off

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #10 of 19 Old 09-11-2013, 08:08 PM

Kinda hard to locate a temperature sensor in a metal can (car) and have it be accurate. Official thermometers are positioned so that surrounding influences have minimal effect on the reading. Even a home thermometer needs to mounted on a north-facing surface (northern hemisphere) to minimize chances of getting direct sunlight. I'm actually surprised the Camaro temp reading is so close to real-life. My '95 Montero is accurate once a day, that being when you first turn the key on in the morning.

John B.

12 LS M6, PTB, ASA GT-5 Wheels, IPF Supercharger installed by me, Tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page