Hey hey guys! Vodka here with that thread I promised earlier in my introduction thread. Basically gonna give you a run down about me and how it ties into this whole Camaro business. Warning, this might end up being a long post so grab some popcorn, get some water and blast your music, because you're gonna be here for a while haha.. So let's get to it.
The name is Hector, born and raised in New York City. I didn't grow up with a dad, nor did I have a fatherly figure. Being born and raised in the New York, I have literally NO car knowledge whatsoever. Like I mean zero. All my car knowledge is basically from video games like Need For Speed, some Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport to name a few. I don't come from a racer background, my family isn't filled with hot rod lovers, and with no dad around, it's not like I had that cliché Father and Son bonding over cars and hammers lol.
So yeah depressing so far huh?
I've always been fascinated with cars but coming from New York City, which probably has the most intensive and greatest Public Transportation Network in the world, cars have never been something I seek because really? If I could take a train or a bus for much less the cost and get me there in reasonable time, why get a car?
Anyways, I'm 22 now, have done 5 years in the Army so far, and plan to transfer to the Navy next year. I've had a good job and have been making some good money. My passion for owning a car one day has returned regardless of being in the city. My enthusiasm mostly got fueled by my best friend. I've known him since second grade and last year, his parents got him a 2010 Ford Mustang convertible. Not gonna deny it, I've been a little jealous since. However unlike him, I work very hard and don't rely on my mom for anything. So since he got his Mustang I've been searching and wondering whether I should get a car. I finally decided HELL YEAH. But then the hard part was deciding what car... I wanted something to match his Mustang, to blow it out of the water, make him hate himself lol.
So on my road to discovering my future automotive love I came up with 5 cars.
1. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Now you're asking yourself, "How can a Jeep beat a Mustang -.-". Well I came up with this car because I've been seeing it alot lately and man does it look good. It has a rugged manly factor to it, but it also just looks... cool? Even though I'm from the city, I love to travel, go camping, be one with nature and all that jazz. So the Jeep has that cool factor so when I drive down the road I turn some heads but it's also spacious to bring luggage and gear etc...
2. Dodge Charger. I really liked this car, but after seeing it more closely in person, I feel out of love. Growing up I never liked 2 door cars. But the Charger is supposed to be some sort of beast with 4 doors. Just doesn't look right.
3. Nissan GT-R. Okay so this was never realistic lol. This is just a car I aspire to get one day in the future when I am more comfortable financially. I believe that everyone has a "Goal" car, that car you want to get in the near future and very possible to obtain. Then there is your "Dream" car, the car that is pretty out of reach but with hard work and luck you might get it. The GT-R is my dream car.
4. Ford Mustang. What better way to **** on my friend then by getting a Mustang... BUT BETTER! But that idea lasted 2 days, I want to be original.
5. Honda Civic. Yeah.... the tuner in me from long ago. That idea lasted an hour. They just aren't the same.
Notice how the Camaro isn't on that list. Well like I said, my car knowledge is just terrible. Not until I saw one zoom past my job a month ago that I like jumped for joy. I said "THAT CAR IS PERFECT!!" It has such a sexy body, an amazing sound running down the road, it's just everything I've been looking for. So here I am. Discovered this wonderful forum of enthusiasts through some random Google searches and that's how I found my way here.
Now to the purpose of this thread. Like I've mentioned a bunch of times, I know nothing about cars. I know not how to acquire them, what is the process of obtaining them, is it as easy as just walking into a dealership and saying "that one" an hour later you leave home with it?
Like literally all I know is what MPG means (miles per gallon right...?), I have no idea what MSRP is, or APR, though I'm sure a quick Google search will give me all that but why not ask the pros here in ModernCamaro?
Basically what I'm asking you guys is what should I do? What should I know?
What is Leasing?
What is Financing? What is the difference between the two? Which one should I do? Do you really have to pay say $24,000 on the spot? How does this all work?
Should I buy my first Camaro brand new off a dealership? Should I get a used one? What is the difference between New and Used? What are some things to look out for? One thing I've noticed running around these forums are that some people got their Camaros decked out. I mean like I've seen some stories of guys who buy their Camaros with already installed custom parts like sequential tail lights or something random. By decked out I just mean they come already minimally customized with some cool features that I'm sure aren't part of the Camaros original set up. How does one acquire such a Camaro? With my horrible automotive knowledge, it would be wiser to obtain a Camaro of such properties, that way I don't end up buying parts separately that I don't even know are compatible and end up breaking something.
I looked up Usedcars.com, are they reputable? Honestly I would rather get it brand new, it just seems right. But what should I know when I go to the dealership, what should I bring?
Literally I need to know everything guys. Your knowledge will be pushing me forward to getting my first car ever. I want to widen my understanding of vehicles especially about Camaros.
How fast are they? Are they easy to customize? Both Interior and Exterior? What is the performance like? What is the difference between all that 1LT, 1SS etc.....? What does it mean for me and how does it affect the car?
Keep in mind, I cannot drive manual lol, Automatic all the way woooooop! Also remember, try to dumb down the lingo as must as possible lol. I have no idea how an engine works, what a transmission does, how much a difference horsepower makes etc.... Yes, it is THAT sad lol.
Anyways, thanks a lot guys for taking the time to read my post, and thanks in advance for any information you share. You have no idea how much it will help me. I will edit this post if I have anything else pop up in my head.