what mod's should i do to keep up with.. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

what mod's should i do to keep up with..

my good friend and I both have new cars. He went with a 2013 Subaru STI and with his current mods hes not really a match (he only has a cat back and an intake) but he plans on doing the down pipe, boost controller, injectors, fuel pump, E85 tune and with those mods he should be around 370WHP.. im doing 1 7/8 headers soon and the rest of the exhaust and a tune but that will only bring me to around 370WHP at best.. what else can i do to keep up with him? his car weighs about 3400 pounds and at 370WHP its going to be a little monster and its all wheel drive.. lol all signs are pointing to either i cam the car or start saving for forced induction but thats 7k i dont have right now. what are my options? my sig has my current mods (pretty much stock)

and im new to the this forum thanks for the help!

2013 2SS L99 375whp 392wtq
CAI intake
stainless power 1"7/8 headers
stainless works HF cats
stainless works retro chambered exhaust

Last edited by BIGSSC; 09-05-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

A cold air intake will round the headers and tune out nicely. If you wanna increase the acceleration then you could do a torque converter and a gear swap. The torque converter will come in handy for later when you do a cam. As far as a cam, I've seen them priced as low as $1300 for a swap including tuning. Some places are more like $1800. But yea a cam, headers, tq converter, and gears are gonna be your heavy hitters as far as performance goes without getting into forced induction for several thousand dollars. And there is always nitrous...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
A cold air intake will round the headers and tune out nicely. If you wanna increase the acceleration then you could do a torque converter and a gear swap. The torque converter will come in handy for later when you do a cam. As far as a cam, I've seen them priced as low as $1300 for a swap including tuning. Some places are more like $1800. But yea a cam, headers, tq converter, and gears are gonna be your heavy hitters as far as performance goes without getting into forced induction for several thousand dollars. And there is always nitrous...
yeah i was thinking about the torque converter and maybe doing 4.10 gears in the rear.. i need to price that stuff out. im getting the headers soon along with the rest of the exhaust. maybe when i get desperate ill do a 100 shot of nos lol that stuff can be bad news though. thanks for the input!

CAI intake
stainless works HF cats

post #4 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

i dont think his car is making the same amount of torque yours will be making

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #5 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSSS View Post
i dont think his car is making the same amount of torque yours will be making
Yea but it has AWD...so it can put more of it's power to the ground. Stock to stock they are no match for us. I think they are a low to mid 13. The kid might be a bit faster with the intake and exhaust...forced induction engine respond a lot better to intake and exhaust mods than NA engines. Right now they may be neck and neck if they both get a good launch. But it will be lights out once that kid gets those mods he has planned IF the Camaro stays the way it is now. Headers, intake, and dyno tune on the SS should keep them close. And the auto in the SS will help out against the manual in the STI. But the weight may give the edge to the STI. I don't know, I'd say that if the STI gets all those mods, and the SS gets headers, intake, dyno, and if they are equal drivers...I think it will be close but the STI may come out ahead. Throw in gears, lowering springs, and a good tire and the SS will take the STI's lunch all day. Add a nice 50 or 75 shot and it won't even be a race.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #6 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

yea id like to see how much tq that little motor actually makes lol

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #7 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSSS View Post
yea id like to see how much tq that little motor actually makes lol
he said from what most guys make with the mods hes going to do with a "safe tune" he will make about 340hp 360tq to the wheels. in a 3400 pound car that will be at pretty sick lol and with a high psi tune he will be at 370hp and 390tq to the wheels, but he said he doesnt want to use that tune for daily driving just for racing applications (like if he races a camaro )

CAI intake
stainless works HF cats
post #8 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

im glad he has his type of car and i have mine, so radically different but both capable in different ways. im pumped to get my headers and tune and run him once he does his mods. and than ill figure out my next move

CAI intake
stainless works HF cats
post #9 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSSC View Post
im glad he has his type of car and i have mine, so radically different but both capable in different ways. im pumped to get my headers and tune and run him once he does his mods. and than ill figure out my next move
i made 428torque to the wheels with headers and tune, makes a difference, only thing with our cars is the weight issue

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #10 of 14 Old 09-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Headers and 150 wet shot with a tune. He won't know what cock slapped him across his face :-)

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page