Hand Held Tuners - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Hand Held Tuners

Looking to get members opinions on which hand held tuner they use and/or think it's best and why. I've been reading many articles and there are so many different ones, I'm confused. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member

If you are simply going to use the performance tune that comes with the tuner, then just pick whichever one you prefer for whatever reason. The performance tunes that come on them are all pretty much the same. There won't be any significant difference if any difference at all between SCT or Diablosport or any of them...even within the same brand, like the Diablosport InTune won't make any difference over the Predator. If you can find a used one for cheap then go that route. Once you start uploading custom tunes you may wanna get the newer and better models. They upload faster and have easier to use and more up to date features for datalogging. Most tuners are familiar with all the different brands. And if they aren't then it is easy to find one who is. So it should be easy to get a custom tune with whatever tuner you're using. I'm currently using the Predator for my custom tunes because I got it cheap and it works just fine for now. But before the custom tunes I used the Predator canned tune for 91 octane and it made a pretty decent improvement.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Chapel, thanks for the help.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
My vote would the the SCT for the simple fact that Ted @ JRE uses them and you would then be able to load one of his awesome custom tunes....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
Old 09-13-2013, 02:29 PM

Diablo and SCT

2012 2SS/RSM6 Silver with Painted CarbonFlash rally stripes,3.91gears, NewEra ported TB,OTR, HeritageGrill, NightFury cam, Melling296 Oilpump, KatechCR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunion upgrade. American Racing1 7/8"LT headers w/cats, and TWM fullShifter BMRsways,trailing arms,toe rods, delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control arm bushingkit,front suspension bushing kit. Solo Mach XL exhaust 25% Fluidampr
Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 PM

Garage
First go to the manufacturers website and find which is offering what you would like the outcome to be.Take detailed notes and compare,some have a forum so I would join and ask questions.Most are as Chapel stated as being very close in nature.

Be very cautious of some of the tuners that claim that they will write you a tune and send it to you,sale it to you.Before you waste time with some of those snake oil tunes get a dyno tune.If you have an L99 with the auto trans also be careful one of the profess to be tune guru's caused the trans in my last Camaro to slip(2-3 shift).Not all know the ins and out of the 6L80E trans thank god Redline Performance is just down the road from me to fix his screw up.

After calling him on it he attempted to try and make me feel as if I did not know what I was talking about.Not knowing that I did 4yrs in the military as a mechanic,after discharge my first job was at AAmco transmission working my way to a builder and from there worked as a service tech in 3 dealership diagnosing driveability problems.

All I am saying is be careful and do your home work,but as far as handheld tuners I would choose the Diablo tuner.They have come a long way and don't rush to put out tunes or tuners.

Fear is temporary,regret is forever.

Last edited by ohten; 09-13-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thanks for the help. Will start looking at manufacturers sites, before I make a decision.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:26 AM

I wouldnt say Diablo doest rush tunes. On the Silverado they came out with engine tunes with out transmission tunes. That is bad. Any tune you get must have a transmission and engine tune. Damage may result from not tuning both at the same time (adding power but leaving trany stock). A dyno tune or a wide band o2 street tune is best and not much more money.

2012 2SS/RSM6 Silver with Painted CarbonFlash rally stripes,3.91gears, NewEra ported TB,OTR, HeritageGrill, NightFury cam, Melling296 Oilpump, KatechCR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunion upgrade. American Racing1 7/8"LT headers w/cats, and TWM fullShifter BMRsways,trailing arms,toe rods, delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control arm bushingkit,front suspension bushing kit. Solo Mach XL exhaust 25% Fluidampr
Old 09-14-2013, 06:33 AM

Garage
Yes the early models did not have a trans tune not even for the Camaro,check the intune model now.

Can you explain how you will do damage by not tuning both engine and trans at the same time.I used the Predator on my 10 Camaro and had no issues what so ever and that was just an engine tune.

Big Daddy go to Redline motor sports website and read the engine and transmission management calibration page it has some good information that might help you.

Fear is temporary,regret is forever.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Any tune can potentially damage an engine. However no company, not any major one at least (and definitely not Diablosport), is gonna put out a tune that will damage an engine due to not tuning the engine or trans correctly. I used the Predator on my 10 SS until I installed LT headers and had a custom tune written. The canned tunes worked just fine.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in