I removed my engine cover, car runs 10 degrees cooler - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-24-2013, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I removed my engine cover, car runs 10 degrees cooler

I took it off to see if the engine would run cooler and seems it is. It appears the functional hood scoops on the 2014 may help with great extraction as well, and even more so with the engine cover off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Support MC & Troops

Wow, thx for the info... Wonder if GM seen it too /

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #3 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

OP, just because the engine runs 10 degrees cooler does not necessarily mean that there was a problem with it running at the previous temps. Engines are made to operate optimally at a specific temp range. And that range may vary by 20 or more degrees. For instance, the optimal range may be 220-240. Certain engines can run hotter than others while certain engines can run colder. You wanna make sure your engine is running in the specified and recommended temp range. GM is more than likely aware of this as well. Remember, vehicle manufacturers build a car to operate within a specific range in all weather conditions...whether you're in constant 100 + degree desert conditions or constant below freezing mountain conditions. Each vehicle is made so that it can handle those conditions. If your engine is running colder than the specified range, then you'll have fuel economy issues as well as CELs. Over time you can actually damage your engine. So you basically want your engine to run warm. Not hot, but warm...warm engine cold air. That is why your fan is designed to trigger on and off at certain temps. And that is why the thermostat opens and closes at certain temps. Those are the main culprits responsible for the temp range your engine runs in. If the vehicle has not corrected itself then you are fine. But your previous temps were fine as well. 10 degrees is not significant within the specified range. If it was 10 degrees too cold or too hot, even if the gauge read normal, then the vehicle would alert you after driving for a certain amount of time. And it would be an issue that would need to be addressed before it worsens.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

Last edited by Chapel; 10-25-2013 at 11:25 AM.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I rolled down my windows today and my interior got really cold. 30 degrees outside this morning.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #5 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
OP, just because the engine runs 10 degrees cooler does not necessarily mean that there was a problem with it running at the previous temps. Engines are made to operate optimally at a specific temp range. And that range may vary by 20 or more degrees. For instance, the optimal range may be 220-240. Certain engines can run hotter than others while certain engines can run colder. You wanna make sure your engine is running in the specified and recommended temp range. GM is more than likely aware of this as well. Remember, vehicle manufacturers build a car to operate within a specific range in all weather conditions...whether you're in constant 100 + degree desert conditions or constant below freezing mountain conditions. Each vehicle is made so that it can handle those conditions. If your engine is running colder than the specified range, then you'll have fuel economy issues as well as CELs. Over time you can actually damage your engine. So you basically want your engine to run warm. Not hot, but warm...warm engine cold air. That is why your fan is designed to trigger on and off at certain temps. And that is why the thermostat opens and closes at certain temps. Those are the main culprits responsible for the temp range your engine runs in. If the vehicle has not corrected itself then you are fine. But your previous temps were fine as well. 10 degrees is not significant within the specified range. If it was 10 degrees too cold or too hot, even if the gauge read normal, then the vehicle would alert you after driving for a certain amount of time. And it would be an issue that would need to be addressed before it worsens.
Right on... yea, I wasn't saying that it provided any benefit and yea I agree 10 degrees isn't a big deal. I more wanted to see what the effect of the new hood scoop on the 2014 with heat extraction and it seems to benefit... and being in Arizona this help get heat out of the engine bay a bit better it would seem. Cheers.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 PM

I removed mine 2 years ago.thrown somewhere in the garage. I painted mine and didn't like the results so I left it off. Gets pretty hot in Texas too.

post #7 of 8 Old 10-26-2013, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member

Yea if I was in hotter climates I probably would remove it as well. Here in NJ we can get some weeks in the high 90s and even over 100. I didn't feel the need to remove the cover tho. And my temps were fine. Its individual choice...some keep it, some remove it. I kinda the look of my engine bay with the cover.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #8 of 8 Old 10-26-2013, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member

Remove the plastic intake cover that's under the engine cover. When I was getting a tune he told me it holds in a lot of heat and helps keep the intake temps down.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page