What are your thoughts? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What are your thoughts?

I'm trying to own a 2014 Camaro SS/1LE next spring. I'm trying to learn as much as I can now so I will have a pretty good idea of what to do and what not to do.

I'm thinking going the 1SS w/1LE,RS, Hurst short-throw shifter (not sure if it comes with the 1LE package), dual mode exhaust (I want to make it so you can electronically switch it on the fly like the C7!), and the Recaro race seats. I'd like to put on the 4 gauge cluster and the HUD from the 2SS.

I'm shooting for the basic old school muscle car. I want the car to have alot of balls but just enough to give me that scare that gets your adrenaline up, but I don't want to be working on the thing all the time. That being said I'm thinking just doing a CAI, cam, exhaust and tune. My question here is the stock induction looks pretty good already, would and aftermarket CAI be much of an improvement, the cam lets face it is really is more for the bad ass sound, but more power is always acceptable, so will putting a lumpy cam in put more strain on the other internals of the engine(would it be wise to do head work and piston, bottom end work)? If I'm running the GM dual-mode exhaust would aftermarket be any improvement (Kooks LT headers, cat delete, corsa cat-back)? And tuners I'll be honest I know absolutely nothing when it comes to these, this will be something I wont be doing alone, but what tune would you guys suggest?

Thanks for any help or advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Livin' the dream!

Garage
Go with a CAI intake and tune.

Dual mode exhaust, just pull fuse #8 in the trunk and it stays open.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."... 2 Timothy 4:7
post #3 of 5 Old 10-29-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ah nice I was hoping there was a way to keep the exhaust open. Do you know of any good tuners that would be good for this set up?

post #4 of 5 Old 10-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Take advantage of your long lead time and talk to many local enthusiasts at car shows and camaro clubs. Ask those with similar mods about who tuned their car and recommendations. I think it is best to find a competent local tuner but if not there are some good remote tune options. Ensure any tuner you use has lots of experience with these cars and your specific mods.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 PM

I have a 2013 ss with dual mode, I used to own a 2011 ss with stock exhaust that was too quiet for my taste. Dual mode will suit you fine. I did the CAI first thing as it does not void the powertrain warranty which outlasts the bumper to bumper. I bought a CAI cold air induction with the scoop and relocate for the windshield washer fluid bottle and love it. Its is supposed to net 16 h.p. as the stock box sucks, the new one is insulated and you can see the filter to clean it, also it is ceramic lined inside so it keeps the air colder than others who claim the same and lie..... I got it from apex, I plan eventually to get headers, high flow cats, and a x pipe but I am in no hurry as I love the way my exhaust sounds already. While our cams may not have the highest duration or lift they are a good profile, and changing the cam requires a lot more work than your average old small block chevy....( like dropping the engine as you have to fit the cam in), also changing up the springs to match the new cam if needed, and it will run into the thousands and I have thought of going to someplace like livernois, or other tuners to have them do the work as I cannot drop a engine in my driveway and lift a car off and on if I was to ever change cams. The headers how ever most pipes are fine with the dual mode exhaust, I just hope the brand I buy has the x pipe match the exhaust.
BTW the intake was $500 for the kit, Any way the 1le I am sure comes with a short throw shifter I believe, and most cams would not require bottom end work at all as that is something you would worry about with a large amount of pressure like in supercharging in the 10+ psi range. I wish I could go back in time now and not have bought the two Camaros I bought new....... I would be in a zl1. To just do a cai ,tune and headers etc ,you should be about 430 h.p rwhp and 450 torque .....And around 500 at the flywheel. And since you would be wise to have a car that cam be quieter when you want it driving by cops......you have car with dual mode that when you step on it you open up the straight through for more sound, when you let off you loose the noise......Yes you could wire up a toggle switch to active the exhaust, or disable it to make it always loud but why? And when I tune my car it will be a dyno tune, I do not see owning a tuner data logging, and using a canned tune, rather that I will have a lot of parts to put on all at once then tune it to avoid CEL's which are error codes thrown at you if you do not tune a car with headers that now has higher flowing exhaust suddenly and more power as the car will adjust the flow of the gas to the engine by itself being fuel injected. Fixing up new cars is much more expensive than old cars, so you have to ask yourself is the power gain really worth it.....And is it not fast already?
Think about it, for five hundred dollars for my intake and stuff, I could have bought a performer rpm intake for a SBC, a edelbrock carb also and had change for a cam or some spectre universal linkage. The header price is high, not $200 its $1000, to $1500 for stainless or ceramic etc and you need new high flow cats for hundreds more, ( or go cat less and wait to get forced by ticket to put them on someday when you get pulled over for noise and they look for them front and center behind the headers ). I have heard that headers and high flow cats make the dual mode sound louder and of course it should, so I think the noise coming out will be enough. Now should you really desire the lope of the cam to sound badder coming out your exhaust....well the last upgrade should be the cam as the engine is gonna get torn apart the heads can stay on but the valve covers come off the front gets taken off and the money you spend goes a lot more higher. Net gains from different intake manifolds have proven to not be worth it or at all cost effective, heads can only gain so much and are not very cost effective, let alone to throw out the perfectly good hypereutectic pistons etc etc to go forged when its fine with what it has unless your going to insane power........... And if so axles cost bucks too...... Look at the last mod for the last poster........ I could see getting 3.91 gears someday rather than the cam as it would be easier with a nice true trac real better differential. That's some of what I have learned through years of gleaning through parts vendors, different tuners sites and forums. Good luck, and If I were you I would buy used and save a ton if you could find what you want..........

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page